ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread.
Sep 24, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #901 of 1,522
Thanks for the reply man. Yeah I wanted to get as many impressions as possible so I asked on both forums. Hey have you had any experience with the 400i? I have heard those and I know there bass has pretty damn good impact. If you have heard both, would you mind sharing your impressions? Thanks gixxer.

Sep 24, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #902 of 1,522
  Thanks for the reply man. Yeah I wanted to get as many impressions as possible so I asked on both forums. Hey have you had any experience with the 400i? I have heard those and I know there bass has pretty damn good impact. If you have heard both, would you mind sharing your impressions? Thanks gixxer.

As with the PM3, it's been a while since I heard the HE-400i. It had pretty good (and deepish) bass, but I found the upper mids and highs a bit harsh IIRC. I heard the 400S more recently and it sounded pretty good overall (smoother in the highs than the 400i?). I think some have said the bass isn't as punchy or well defined, but I you're better off searching for impressions.

As others have said, it's really hard to say "good, more, worse, less", as it's pretty subjective. I haven't seen anybody else commenting on the Omni Cherries having bloomy bass, but I and 2 colleagues feel the same way about it, while 2 other colleagues feel it's just right. So your best bet is to try and listen to them yourself. Good luck!

PS. One benefit of ZMFs is that Zach can tune about +/-2dB in most frequency ranges if you tell him what you like. And you get one free retune if further adjustment is required (only pay for shipping). And since he personally measures each phone, there will likely be less variance between units than "mass produced" phones.

Sep 24, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #903 of 1,522

As others have said, it's really hard to say "good, more, worse, less", as it's pretty subjective. I haven't seen anybody else commenting on the Omni Cherries having bloomy bass, but I and 2 colleagues feel the same way about it, while 2 other colleagues feel it's just right. So your best bet is to try and listen to them yourself. Good luck!

PS. One benefit of ZMFs is that Zach can tune about +/-2dB in most frequency ranges if you tell him what you like. And you get one free retune if further adjustment is required (only pay for shipping). And since he personally measures each phone, there will likely be less variance between units than "mass produced" phones.

Yeah I definitely agree. I asked the same question at the other place too and replied to you so my apologies for asking the same thing twice haha. Yeah I think i'm going to save for the blackwoods and also sell my pm3s afterwards so I can compare. I've been talking to Zach a lot recently about the same subject and he's been telling me the same thing haha. He's an awesome dude and that's an understatement. Thank you for all your help and impressions gixxer. I really appreciate it.

Sep 24, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #904 of 1,522
FWIW, I found the Blackwood superior to the PM-1 in every category.  Haven't heard the PM-3 though.

Sep 24, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #906 of 1,522
  FWIW, I found the Blackwood superior to the PM-1 in every category.  Haven't heard the PM-3 though.

This makes me happy. Gonna receive my Blackwood soon, and what little I heard of the PM-1 at a meet sounded pretty good.

Sep 24, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #907 of 1,522
I see you own the 400i coletrain. Please give your impressions of the blackwoods compared to the 400i after you have given them time to burn in. I would love to know how they compare, especially in the bass. Thanks.

Sep 24, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #908 of 1,522
  I see you own the 400i coletrain. Please give your impressions of the blackwoods compared to the 400i after you have given them time to burn in. I would love to know how they compare, especially in the bass. Thanks.

No problem! Zach is still working on them, and I upgraded from the V1, so I can't make a Vibro comparison. I actually don't believe Zach has shipped them yet, so it'd be at least a week before I hear and can compare.

Sep 24, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #909 of 1,522
That's alright man, to give a fair comparison for both the blackwoods would need to be burned in completely before I would even think to compare them since the sound could change over time for better or worse depending on the persons taste. I am unaware of the amount of time Zach recommends for the blackwoods but I wouldn't be surprised if it was at least 50hrs. V1 to the blackwoods should be quite the upgrade haha. That's quite a leap. Hopefully it delivers.

Sep 24, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #910 of 1,522
  That's alright man, to give a fair comparison for both the blackwoods would need to be burned in completely before I would even think to compare them since the sound could change over time for better or worse depending on the persons taste. I am unaware of the amount of time Zach recommends for the blackwoods but I wouldn't be surprised if it was at least 50hrs. V1 to the blackwoods should be quite the upgrade haha. That's quite a leap. Hopefully it delivers.

I'm not sure if burn-in really should apply, given that I'd used the V1 for at least 100 hours. I'm looking forward to hearing this, I really hope it delivers too ^^ I've heard a lot of high-end closed headphones, and my favorites so far are the Alpha Primes, Oppo-PM3, and B&W P7. If these are even somewhere between the P7 and Alpha Primes for my tastes, I will be ok :)

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #911 of 1,522
Well my Vibros are here.  I was stupid and listened to them right away.  I was not blown away at all like I was hoping for.  But after a week or so of burn in time, they are really growing on me.  I need to give it a couple more months for me to decide the ultimate question...do I want to send them back for the blackwood tuning.  I'm really hesitant since it is irreversible.  In the meantime, I plan on doing some tube rolling too to see if I can find my sound.  I knew that the mids were elevated but man are they in your face. Some notes were a little pitchy at first but that seems to have calmed down and smoothed out thankfully.  Several songs last week were making me cringe and that would have been a deal breaker.  I also today upgraded to the bifrost uber and that has put a huge smile on my face.  The pads are the most comfortable I have ever experienced.  A HUGE source of annoyance is the fact that the stock cable is a split dual cord cable.  With a ten footer it just goes everywhere. Other than that, I'm really enjoying them.

Sep 25, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #912 of 1,522
  I'm not sure if burn-in really should apply, given that I'd used the V1 for at least 100 hours. I'm looking forward to hearing this, I really hope it delivers too ^^ I've heard a lot of high-end closed headphones, and my favorites so far are the Alpha Primes, Oppo-PM3, and B&W P7. If these are even somewhere between the P7 and Alpha Primes for my tastes, I will be ok :)

I think someone was in the same scenario as you are and said the same thing. It's on here somewhere but zach replied saying that he still needed to burn them in since it was in a new enclosure (wood) or something like that. I definitely remember reading that though. I mean you could always ask him yourself just to make sure. I'm hoping they're better than all of those considering what everyone has been saying about them. Definitely excited for you haha.

Sep 25, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #913 of 1,522
  Well my Vibros are here.  I was stupid and listened to them right away.  I was not blown away at all like I was hoping for.  But after a week or so of burn in time, they are really growing on me.  I need to give it a couple more months for me to decide the ultimate question...do I want to send them back for the blackwood tuning.  I'm really hesitant since it is irreversible.  In the meantime, I plan on doing some tube rolling too to see if I can find my sound.  I knew that the mids were elevated but man are they in your face. Some notes were a little pitchy at first but that seems to have calmed down and smoothed out thankfully.  Several songs last week were making me cringe and that would have been a deal breaker.  I also today upgraded to the bifrost uber and that has put a huge smile on my face.  The pads are the most comfortable I have ever experienced.  A HUGE source of annoyance is the fact that the stock cable is a split dual cord cable.  With a ten footer it just goes everywhere. Other than that, I'm really enjoying them.

Why would you say that? That's what anyone else would do. You're not stupid man haha. 

Sep 25, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #914 of 1,522
  It's on here somewhere but zach replied saying that he still needed to burn them in since it was in a new enclosure (wood) or something like that. I definitely remember reading that though.

If I'm not mistaken, the "Blackwood mod" includes some sort of physical alteration of the driver different from the V1/V2/Vibro.  This would be a more likely reason for suggesting a new burn-in period after upgrading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back