ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread.
Nov 13, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #1,471 of 1,522
Anyone knows the use of these round pieces of felt ? Some square damping came with the Blackwood I bought recently, which i've put above the drivers to reduce a bit the 5-6 khz peak. But I dont know the use of the round piece.
1542126397-img-20181113-172246-hht.jpg

Nov 13, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #1,472 of 1,522
Anyone knows the use of these round pieces of felt ? Some square damping came with the Blackwood I bought recently, which i've put above the drivers to reduce a bit the 5-6 khz peak. But I dont know the use of the round piece.

It would just go in front of the driver, under the earpads!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 13, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #1,474 of 1,522
I am looking for a pair of inexpensive temporary Vibro compatible earpads. If I like them, then I plan on investing in a nice lambskin set. Any options for a inexpensive pair for temporary use? Like possibly a Fostex earpad?

Thanks so much for any suggestions.
James

Feb 14, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #1,475 of 1,522
I am looking for a pair of inexpensive temporary Vibro compatible earpads. If I like them, then I plan on investing in a nice lambskin set. Any options for a inexpensive pair for temporary use? Like possibly a Fostex earpad?

Thanks so much for any suggestions.
James

Brainwavz might fit, I'd go with the angled pads if they do. The official Oval pads would still be your best bet though. The Vibro was tuned to work specifically with the Oval pads, aftermarket pads could have a negative impact on the sound.

Edit: Just remembered I have the broken pieces of a Vibro in my basement somewhere. I have brainwavz pads laying around as well. I will see if they fit and let you know.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #1,476 of 1,522
Brainwavz might fit, I'd go with the angled pads if they do. The official Oval pads would still be your best bet though. The Vibro was tuned to work specifically with the Oval pads, aftermarket pads could have a negative impact on the sound.

Edit: Just remembered I have the broken pieces of a Vibro in my basement somewhere. I have brainwavz pads laying around as well. I will see if they fit and let you know.

Perfect, thanks for looking into that for me. I did find an old pair of Alacantra pads off of a pair of shure1540 fit, but they are quite worn out and not leather, so not sure what impact to the sound they may have.

James

Feb 15, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #1,477 of 1,522
Perfect, thanks for looking into that for me. I did find an old pair of Alacantra pads off of a pair of shure1540 fit, but they are quite worn out and not leather, so not sure what impact to the sound they may have.

James

Brainwavz do not fit. Tried regular and angled.

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #1,479 of 1,522
I have a question that someone might be able to help me with. Has anyone tried the Blackwoods with Ibasso DX200 Amp 8 ? What are your thoughts. I was thinking of buying them but wondering if amp8 has enough juice.

Mar 30, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #1,480 of 1,522
I have a question that someone might be able to help me with. Has anyone tried the Blackwoods with Ibasso DX200 Amp 8 ? What are your thoughts. I was thinking of buying them but wondering if amp8 has enough juice.

Corresponded with @MilesR via email as well - but for anyone wondering - 300 mW at 50 ohms gets you plenty of volume, and 1W or over gets you lots of punch and weight. They like high gain and power ofcourse, but I've been impressed with the quality of portable players lately, my Chord Mojo even does nice things with the t50 drivers!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 30, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #1,481 of 1,522
i dunno, i have been using them with the
Corresponded with @MilesR via email as well - but for anyone wondering - 300 mW at 50 ohms gets you plenty of volume, and 1W or over gets you lots of punch and weight. They like high gain and power ofcourse, but I've been impressed with the quality of portable players lately, my Chord Mojo even does nice things with the t50 drivers!
ive been using mine lately with my ifi micro black label. plenty of power and weight. i really love these headphones. they dont have the effortless quality that the Atticus have, but such convincing soundstage and surprising detail. and the bass! its so friggin good...sub-bass for days.
these things really are remarkable.

Mar 30, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #1,482 of 1,522
i dunno, i have been using them with the

ive been using mine lately with my ifi micro black label. plenty of power and weight. i really love these headphones. they dont have the effortless quality that the Atticus have, but such convincing soundstage and surprising detail. and the bass! its so friggin good...sub-bass for days.
these things really are remarkable.
I use mine almost everyday. They are amazing closed backs and really shine with acoustic music. I can listen to them all day, with zero fatigue. I really think they are perfect and for the money, can not be beat. The sounstage is massive, for a closed back.

Jul 11, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #1,484 of 1,522
Has anyone listened to both blackwoods and e-mu teak's?
i have them both. they are very different.
the Blackwood has a good left-right soundstage but not deep. it has really great cohesiveness throughout the sound...it feels like all of it sits in the same space. its more neutral than the E-Mu, also has tremendous sub-bass. its quite heavy and isnt great with glasses. also takes a LOT of power to run well.
the E-mu is abit more effortless, the soundstage is more intimate but also deeper. more v-shaped but not crazy. its a snappier headphone, probably easier to appreciate in general, fantastic bass and good treble and easier to drive. the soundstage surprises at times, is lest consistent than the Blackwoods. I should mention i have the Eikon pads on the E-mus with the attenuation ring also.
they are both great and i will never let either of them go :)
that said...the Blackwoods suck you in more/

Jul 11, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #1,485 of 1,522
i have them both. they are very different.
the Blackwood has a good left-right soundstage but not deep. it has really great cohesiveness throughout the sound...it feels like all of it sits in the same space. its more neutral than the E-Mu, also has tremendous sub-bass. its quite heavy and isnt great with glasses. also takes a LOT of power to run well.
the E-mu is abit more effortless, the soundstage is more intimate but also deeper. more v-shaped but not crazy. its a snappier headphone, probably easier to appreciate in general, fantastic bass and good treble and easier to drive. the soundstage surprises at times, is lest consistent than the Blackwoods. I should mention i have the Eikon pads on the E-mus with the attenuation ring also.
they are both great and i will never let either of them go :)
that said...the Blackwoods suck you in more/
It seems like I would really like the sound of e-mu! Thank you very much :) I wonder why e-mu's aren't as popular as x00's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back