ZMF Verite Open
Jun 24, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #4,651 of 9,521
I read Your previous reviews and I was afraid that I would have similar problems too. I thought that if I had problems, I would return the equipment. I decided to go with Burson because I ran out of Rme Adi 2 Pro Ae warranty ( great equipment does rme ) . My C3xp is silent, no noise, on small and large amplification. The Rme I appreciated for its interesting features, the Burson has a better stage and more power. Both are great and in the future plans to buy a tube amplifier, it is rather a whim than a necessity :)
Sorry about the Translator.

@Marutks Excuse me and thank you for correcting - I'm obviously talking about the 3xp model.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #4,652 of 9,521
Here is a report from a German tester. Very interesting and not a word to any noise. He also tested it with the Verite and is extremely praised.

Perhaps some people don't mind background hum or don't notice it. I would never use an amp that has any background noise.
Other (many of them cheaper than C3X) amplifiers don't have this problem. THX 789 , RME ADI-2 , ECP T4 don't have audible noise floor whatsoever.

My C3xp is silent, no noise, on small and large amplification.

The C3xp has less power than its "big brother". Works better with sensitive headphones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 24, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #4,653 of 9,521
Are you ranking T4 above the Ravenswood these days?
For the Verite, yes I think so. I Don't know which Mullard tubes were in the one I heard, but I was wowed.

For the Auteur, the Ravenswood w/ amorphous still reigns supreme.

For Aeolus and Eikons, I wouldn't know. I had to sell mine to pay vet bills, so when I had the chance to hear the T4, I didn't have them available to test with. :frowning2:

It's also my understanding that 3F isn't being made by Doug anymore? I Could be wrong.

Third time's the charm... WA8's are almost 2K retail. :wink:
Yes, but it's half DAC, half amp, so... It halfway counts.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #4,654 of 9,521
I'm really interested in the verite closed to complement my final audio D8000 pro, I currently own the rme adi 2 dac latest revision, Topping A90 I'm actually interested in a tube amp to pair with these I also have a focal elegia, but as my portable unit.

What would be a great tube amp or pre amp with tubes(freya+) to pair with these hps?

Jun 24, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #4,656 of 9,521
What would be a great tube amp or pre amp with tubes(freya+) to pair with these hps?

ZMF Pendant. Or Glenn OTL if you don't mind waiting 6-9 months. VC/VO are easy to drive so almost any tube amp you like should do a fine job.

Jun 24, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #4,657 of 9,521
Has anyone ever heard the Open with an iFi iCan Pro? I would be very interested in that. With me, he should play mainly on this one. More likely to play in tube mode.
I ran ZMF Auteur with iCan Pro in tube mode and never felt the synergy was great. Sold iCan Pro, bought a true tube amp priced around the same (Feliks-Audio Elise) and it is night and day, much more satisfying match. I recognize you are referring to VO not Auteur, so YMMV.

Jun 24, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #4,658 of 9,521
ZMF Pendant. Or Glenn OTL if you don't mind waiting 6-9 months. VC/VO are easy to drive so almost any tube amp you like should do a fine job.
well being that the Final Audio D8000pro is a 60 ohm Planar im not so sure an OTL amp is the best choice, I owned the Glenn OTL amp with all the bells and whistles and I sold it but that was at a time i wanted to strictly go IEM, now im back into Headphones and honestly I dont want to buy a Glenn amp. the ZMF Pendant is kinda where im leaning towards, but I'm also looking at the Dragon inspire IHA-1 with lundhal Transformer, Auris ha2se, Euterpe or just add a Freya+(serves alot of functions and is way cheaper option) as a Preamp to my current system. I never liked ampandsound tube amps, especially the design, but the pendant has too good a rep to ignore.

I'd like minimium tube rolling to be honest, I just want to get a tubey sound whenever i feel like a song calls for it so it just makes sense to get a Freya+ or a tube pre amp, but It's kinda unknown waters for me(preamps).

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #4,659 of 9,521
Jun 24, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #4,662 of 9,521
...It's also my understanding that 3F isn't being made by Doug anymore? I Could be wrong...
Unclear. He does them in batches, and the website says:
The order period for the Ravenswood/DSHA3F headphone amplifier is currently closed.
New batches are announced on a thread over on that other site. Thread name is 'ECP DSHA3F Ravenswood 3F' if you want to monitor it.

IIRC he ran into a shortage of some parts while building the last batch, so it's uncertain whether and when another batch is forthcoming.

Jun 24, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #4,663 of 9,521
well being that the Final Audio D8000pro is a 60 ohm Planar im not so sure an OTL amp is the best choice, I owned the Glenn OTL amp with all the bells and whistles and I sold it but that was at a time i wanted to strictly go IEM, now im back into Headphones and honestly I dont want to buy a Glenn amp. the ZMF Pendant is kinda where im leaning towards, but I'm also looking at the Dragon inspire IHA-1 with lundhal Transformer, Auris ha2se, Euterpe or just add a Freya+(serves alot of functions and is way cheaper option) as a Preamp to my current system. I never liked ampandsound tube amps, especially the design, but the pendant has too good a rep to ignore.

I'd like minimium tube rolling to be honest, I just want to get a tubey sound whenever i feel like a song calls for it so it just makes sense to get a Freya+ or a tube pre amp, but It's kinda unknown waters for me(preamps).

Yes, stick with SET or SS if you want to run both sets of cans. I thought you were just asking for suggestions for the Verite. Have you seen this review of the Pendant/Verite combo?

Jun 24, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #4,664 of 9,521
During the time I had a loaner VO & VC in my system, I got excellent results on both with the humble but very good-sounding Liquid Carbon v2.

A latter-day reincarnation of that identical circuit can be had from Drop for well under $1K.

I wouldn't put the Drop/Cavalli LCX in the same breath as the original Liquid Carbons. I had all three at one time and the LCX was nowhere near as good as the v1 and v2. .

Jun 24, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #4,665 of 9,521

I may be the only one with this experience--but I've had excellent results with any/all planars on my OTL tube amp (Woo WA3). The reason is that planar drivers do not exhibit big impedance swings by frequency, as do dynamic drivers. Every planar I've tried on the WA3, regardless of spec'd impedance, sounds good & like it usually does, w/no bloated bass. The opposite is true of of low impedance dynamics, which sound awful, as expected.

I'm not saying the WA3 has terrific power, could drive an Abyss, any of that. Just saying that the planars I've tried on my OTL sounded good.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back