ZMF Verite Open
Nov 14, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #466 of 9,511
I already tried. I'm betting the output impedance is quite high, which might be why it sounds warmer / matches better with the Verite.

Most vintage receivers have resistors between the amplifier output and the headphone jack. This brings up the impedance but was a safety thing not to hook headphones directly
to a high power amplifier. Possibly blowing your ears out.
I worked for Harman Kardon a long time ago and all there receivers had 330 ohm resistors in series with the headphones.

Nov 14, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #467 of 9,511
Most vintage receivers have resistors between the amplifier output and the headphone jack. This brings up the impedance but was a safety thing not to hook headphones directly
I worked for Harman Kardon a long time ago and all there receivers had 330 ohm resistors in series with the headphones.

This! Most modern gear around 1990s forward use crappy op amps instead of resistors,which is why us vintage receiver guys shun new stuff. Were not just trying to be hipsters.

Nov 14, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #468 of 9,511

That's what I am assuming with the Sansui as well, which means much different damping factor vs other SS like the Gilmore.

If you look in my signature you will find that I own quite a few vintage receivers. All play well with high impedance headphones...You really cant go wrong with any of them from that era,but as I said above the Sansui 881 sounds the best to my ears. It also rocks the Atticus,and is absolutely magical with the AKG K240 sextetts. Even the Glenn cant do what the 881 does with them.

That's fine. I'm not saying the pairing doesn't sound good, and I don't have a plethora of vintage receivers laying around to try. I'll take your word for it. I'm just trying to figure out why.

If the Verite sounds better on higher OI amps, that is worth knowing.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #470 of 9,511
For people that have amps like the Gilmore Lite you can try to make a adapter with two 120 ohm 1 watt resistors and a phone plug
and phone jack to add some impedance. Some thing to try?
Wouldn't go higher then 120 ohms as it does not have much power/voltage on the output.

Nov 14, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #471 of 9,511
I found one in my state but he is selling for 200 and its missing the volume knob lol

Yeah,pass on that. I just looked on eBay and currently there arent any 881s posted,but be patient. They do come up fairly often,just check daily,or add a search.
It took the new member I helped about two weeks to find one.

EDIT: supposedly the Sansui Super Eight(not the Eight mind you) is even better than the 881,but I havent heard it myself. It is however considerably more $.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #472 of 9,511
Honestly this was my biggest fear with the new headphones. I’m not a big fan of tube amps (I get the appeal, they’re just not for me), and if I need one to get the best out of a certain headphone, it’s not the right fit.

I’m sure the Auteur also has an affinity for tubes but every time I’ve heard it it’s been on a solid state and sounded absolutely sublime. Not so the Atticus, for example, which lost some of its magic without tubes in support.

All that said, it’s great that Zach sticks to his principles, and I’m sure most of his fans (and hey, I’m one of his biggest) have tubes at the ready for the new toys in town.

I've found that a lot of ZMF headphones pair well with Cavalli amps (SS or Hybrid). Especially so for the Atticus/Auteur.

I’m sure if the Auteurs sound great on your NFB the Verite will sound great on it as well. I personally did not like the synergy with the Gilmore Headamp Lite MK2. As Monster mentioned it much more linear and boring to me. But damn if that amp doesn’t have fantastic synergy with the AFO. All in the pairing.

Yea, the AFO pairs great with an uncolored amp. The Gilmore is great and so is the new Massdrop THX AAA 789.

Has anyone compared the Verite to the Utopia yet? Should be a really interesting comparison!

Hopefully next week. I'll make it a top priority once I get a Verite from Zach.

Nov 15, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #473 of 9,511
Sorry, this is a bit later than I wanted it to be, but I have been quite busy keeping up with my business. Here are my initial thoughts on the Verite.

I’d like to start by giving a huge thank you to Zach for lending me the Verite and Aeolus before launch.

This is not going to be a massive in-depth review with lots of comparisons and such, instead, this is my thoughts on what makes the Verite special, what you should expect if you are lucky enough to be able to buy a pair and why I have come to love them.

From the first moment I put the Verite on, the thing I noticed more than anything else was just how light it is. Coming from headphones like the Eikon, Auteur and my HE6, it is immediately impressive just how light these are. It is very remarkable that an all wood, metal, and leather headphone of this size can even be this light. Combined with the ZMF headband, it makes for what is in my opinion, the most comfortable headphone you can buy today off the shelf. The clamp is just right, there is plenty of size adjustment for the smallest head to the largest, the pads are not too thick or too thin, the ear openings are plenty large, its weight doesn’t hurt my neck, and they don't move excessively as I turn my head. It’s like the “ahhhhhhh just right” of headphone comfort.

Then I turned them on, and my first auditory impression was one of being disappointed, the mids were recessed and hollow, and it was completely off-putting. However, within about 8 hours of listening, that was completely gone. Never have I heard a headphone change so much with use. It was totally amazing to hear, and it made me glad I chose to use them instead of just putting them on one of my other amps and letting them burn in for a while first. I had expected some change, just because of what I knew of their driver construction, but the scale of the change took me totally by surprise. Some people may prefer a headphone that sounds its best the second you take it out of the box, but I personally found it to be a very enjoyable experience to be able to actually hear the change in the drivers happening. Now, I can’t say if this will be the way production units will ship, I know in the past Zach has normally burned in pairs some before shipment, and I know this pair didn’t because of the time constraints Zach is under trying to get two new headphones out in so short a time, but if you put yours on, and are not blown away, give it a while, you will be.

Now that that’s out of the way, on to actual impressions of the sound, I do apologize being nearly 500 words in before getting to it, but I felt it was important to take you with me on the journey of using the Verite so far. The most immediately impressive thing about the Verite is the speed of the driver, its fast, really fast, which trickles down to affect all other aspects of the sound in surprising ways. Most notable, is what it does for the soundstage as well as instrument placement and separation. The way it throws a stage is wonderful, its wide, detailed, accurate, and clean I think a lot of people would refer to it as “holographic.” It has tight powerful bass, with more of that excellent speed, mids are strong and clear, and treble is sharp and really benefits from just how fast these are. Cymbals and metallic instruments, in particular, lack any of the muffle or bleed that will often keep them from sounding their best. Resolution and detail retrieval is beyond excellent, again aided by that signature speed.

As to what I would personally use them for, I found the Verite to be absolute monsters for EDM and Electronica, and to be my personal choice for movie watching and games, but where I personally think they shine their brightest, is for live classical music, I have never felt more drawn into Yo-Yo Ma’s Bach Cello Suites than I did with the Verite. The detail combined with the speed, stage, and tone just makes them amazing in my opinion for classical. It is beyond enjoyable to be able to hear the micro vibrations and variations that a bow makes as it is pulled across an instrument, I've never been one to say things like ”it sounds just like being there!” I don’t like when people say things like that, because as someone who has grown up among world-class musicians often being forced to listen to them practice for hours upon hours, I can tell you, it doesn’t, not really. However, the Verite came closer and made me feel more like I was in the room with the instruments than I have ever experienced from a pair of headphones before and I found it to be a real treat to hear.

For my final section, I want to address the question I have seen of “what do I get, the Verite or the Auteur?” For me personally, the answer is both. They each do their own things which makes them more complementary than comparable. They have similar tones, in that they were both clearly tuned by Zach, you can distinctly tell they are ZMF headphones by their sound balance, but beyond that, they sound different. The Verite is not an “upgraded” Auteur, nor the Auteur a baby Verite.

I hope this has been in some way helpful to some of you making the choice to buy, I am sorry it’s not really a complete review, I’ve only had them about a week and a half so far, and I would like more time to listen to them before I am finished, so I will probably revisit this at some point in the coming weeks. Zach is also sending me his Pendant at some point soon, so I plan on trying them with it in addition to my personal collection of amps, so when I do that, I will probably post some updated thoughts. If any of you have questions for me, I’ll help as I can.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #474 of 9,511
Sorry, this is a bit later than I wanted it to be, but I have been quite busy keeping up with my business. Here are my initial thoughts on the Verite.

I’d like to start by giving a huge thank you to Zach for lending me the Verite and Aeolus before launch.

This is not going to be a massive in-depth review with lots of comparisons and such, instead, this is my thoughts on what makes the Verite special, what you should expect if you are lucky enough to be able to buy a pair and why I have come to love them.

From the first moment I put the Verite on, the thing I noticed more than anything else was just how light it is. Coming from headphones like the Eikon, Auteur and my HE6, it is immediately impressive just how light these are. It is very impressive that an all wood, metal, and leather headphone of this size can even be this light. Combined with the ZMF headband, it makes for what is in my opinion, the most comfortable headphone you can buy today off the shelf. The clamp is just right, there is plenty of size adjustment for the smallest head to the largest, the pads are not too thick or too thin, the ear openings are plenty large, its weight doesn’t hurt my neck, and they don't move excessively as I turn my head. It’s like the “ahhhhhhh just right” of headphone comfort.

Then I turned them on, and my first auditory impression was one of being disappointed, the mids were recessed and hollow, and it was completely off-putting. However, within about 8 hours of listening, that was completely gone. Never have I heard a headphone change so much with use. It was totally amazing to hear, and it made me glad I chose to use them instead of just putting them on one of my other amps and letting them burn in for a while first. I had expected some change, just because of what I knew of their driver construction, but the scale of the change took me totally by surprise. Some people may prefer a headphone that sounds its best the second you take it out of the box, but I personally found it to be a very enjoyable experience to be able to actually hear the change in the drivers happening. Now, I can’t say if this will be the way production units will ship, I know in the past Zach has normally burned in pairs some before shipment, and I know this pair didn’t because of the time constraints Zach is under trying to get two new headphones out in so short a time, but if you put yours on, and are not blown away, give it a while, you will be.

Now that that’s out of the way, on to actual impressions of the sound, I do apologize being nearly 500 words in before getting to it, but I felt it was important to take you with me on the journey of using the Verite so far. The most immediately impressive thing about the Verite is the speed of the driver, its fast, really fast, which trickles down to affect all other aspects of the sound in surprising ways. Most notable, is what it does for the soundstage and instrument placement and separation. The way it throws a stage is wonderful, its wide, detailed, accurate, and clean I think a lot of people would refer to it as “holographic.” It has tight powerful bass, with more of that excellent speed, mids are strong and clear, and treble is sharp and really benefits from just how fast these are. Cymbals and metallic instruments, in particular, lack any of the muffle or bleed that will often keep them from sounding their best. Resolution and detail retrieval is beyond excellent, again aided by that signature speed.

As to what I would personally use them for, I found the Verite to be absolute monsters for EDM and Electronica, and to be my personal choice for movie watching and games, but where I personally think they shine their brightest, is for live classical music, I have never felt more drawn into Yo-Yo Ma’s Bach Cello Suites than I did with the Verite. The detail combined with the speed, stage, and tone just makes them amazing in my opinion for classical. It is beyond enjoyable to be able to hear the micro vibrations and variations that a bow makes as it is pulled across an instrument, I've never been one to say things like ”it sounds just like being there!” I don’t like when people say things like that, because as someone who has grown up among world-class musicians often being forced to listen to them practice for hours upon hours, I can tell you, it doesn’t, not really. However, the Verite came closer and made me feel more like I was in the room with the instruments than I have ever experienced from a pair of headphones before and I found it to be a real treat to hear.

For my final section, I want to address the question I have seen of “what do I get, the Verite or the Auteur?” For me personally, the answer is both. They each do their own things which makes them more complementary than comparable. They have similar tones, in that they were both clearly tuned by Zach, you can distinctly tell they are ZMF headphones by their sound balance, but beyond that, they sound different. The Verite is not an “upgraded” Auteur, nor the Auteur a baby Verite.

I hope this has been in some way helpful to some of you making the choice to buy, I am sorry it’s not really a complete review, I’ve only had them about a week and a half so far, and I would like more time to listen to them before I am finished, so I will probably revisit this at some point in the coming weeks. Zach is also sending me his Pendant at some point soon, so I plan on trying them with it in addition to my personal collection of amps, so when I do that, I will probably post some updated thoughts. If any of you have questions for me, I’ll help as I can.

That's a fantastic review. :)

Nov 15, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #475 of 9,511

From the first moment I put the Verite on, the thing I noticed more than anything else was just how light it is. Coming from headphones like the Eikon, Auteur and my HE6, it is immediately impressive just how light these are. It is very impressive that an all wood, metal, and leather headphone of this size can even be this light. Combined with the ZMF headband, it makes for what is in my opinion, the most comfortable headphone you can buy today off the shelf. The clamp is just right, there is plenty of size adjustment for the smallest head to the largest, the pads are not too thick or too thin, the ear openings are plenty large, its weight doesn’t hurt my neck, and they don't move excessively as I turn my head. It’s like the “ahhhhhhh just right” of headphone comfort.

Now that that’s out of the way, on to actual impressions of the sound, I do apologize being nearly 500 words in before getting to it, but I felt it was important to take you with me on the journey of using the Verite so far. The most immediately impressive thing about the Verite is the speed of the driver, its fast, really fast, which trickles down to affect all other aspects of the sound in surprising ways. Most notable, is what it does for the soundstage and instrument placement and separation. The way it throws a stage is wonderful, its wide, detailed, accurate, and clean I think a lot of people would refer to it as “holographic.” It has tight powerful bass, with more of that excellent speed, mids are strong and clear, and treble is sharp and really benefits from just how fast these are. Cymbals and metallic instruments, in particular, lack any of the muffle or bleed that will often keep them from sounding their best. Resolution and detail retrieval is beyond excellent, again aided by that signature speed.

Great stuff. I too was disappointed upon first listen,but like your pair,my loaner also changed dramatically after a few hours. I sat listening last night and thought to myself, "Damn,these sound very life-like".

Its going to be awhile before I can put together coherent thoughts on the Verite as I just got them (and the Aeolus) yesterday,but thus far im quite impressed with both.

Nov 15, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #476 of 9,511
That's a fantastic review. :)
Great stuff. I too was disappointed upon first listen,but like your pair,my loaner also changed dramatically after a few hours. I sat listening last night and thought to myself, "Damn,these sound very life-like".

Its going to be awhile before I can put together coherent thoughts on the Verite as I just got them (and the Aeolus) yesterday,but thus far im quite impressed with both.

Glad you guys liked it!

Nov 15, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #477 of 9,511

Hi! How would you compare the sound of the two? :)

Nov 15, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #478 of 9,511
Hi! How would you compare the sound of the two? :)

The Auteur doesn't throw the same kind of stage as the Verite, it's also not as fast. The Auteur is more sub-bass focused than the Verite, not that the Verite is lacking sub, just that to my ears it's low-end has more of a mid-bass emphasis. The Auteur also has a bit more top end quantity and mids. As I said, they are really more complementary than competitive, they each do very different things, and I personally wouldn't pick one as "beating" the other.

If it helps you, I own the Auteur, and I fully intend on ordering a Verite and keeping both.

Nov 15, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #479 of 9,511
The Auteur doesn't throw the same kind of stage as the Verite, it's also not as fast. The Auteur is more sub-bass focused than the Verite, not that the Verite is lacking sub, just that to my ears it's low-end has more of a mid-bass emphasis. The Auteur also has a bit more top end quantity and mids. As I said, they are really more complementary than competitive, they each do very different things, and I personally wouldn't pick one as "beating" the other.

If it helps you, I own the Auteur, and I fully intend on ordering a Verite and keeping both.

Got it. Thank you!
Happy listening,
Andrea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back