ZMF Verite Open
Oct 30, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #6,931 of 9,521
Let me add:

There are no absolutes with the Verite and in audio in general. Though OTL amps get tons of praise in this thread, and rightfully so, they are by no means the only option to audio bliss. I successfully run a SET transformer coupled amp, the ALO Studio Six with tremendous results.

I truly believe that your current amp, the Cayin HA-1A MK2 should be an great match for the Verite.

The truth is, after attened two CanJams now I can tell you that I've heard the Verite on at least 12 different tube amps. Some OTL, some transformer coupled. I really believe that at the end of the day what matters more than OTL vs transformer coupled, is your other gear in the chain. Source, cables, clean power, and on. All of these individual parts add to the total sum.

To sum up my thoughts, I'd say that your Cayin amp is more than capable of allowing the Verite to strut it's stuff.

One last thing, congratulations on your Verite order. If you enjoy then as much as I enjoy my two pair, then you'll be a very happy listener, indeed.
Thank you for your sharing :raised_hands:

Oct 30, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #6,932 of 9,521
Hi Guys,

I just ordered my 1st pair or VO (be patient waiting.......). Currently I have Cayin HA-1A MK2 tube amp for my HD800S. Since it’s not OTL. I heard a lot good stuffs about OTL to high imp HPs.
Do you suggest me to buy another OTL amp? if so which one do you suggest (and perhaps share me your thoughts and tube rolling suggestions). My budget it around USD<=1500. BHC may be the last consideration as I lack of skill and time to build… LOL.

Cheers
I had the HA-1A for a breif moment and actually like it with my ZMFs. I didn't have it with the VO while I had that amp but the VC, auteur and aelous sounded great out of it. If I remember correctly, I actually prefer that to my wa6 (stock tubes)

Oct 30, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #6,933 of 9,521
I had the HA-1A for a breif moment and actually like it with my ZMFs. I didn't have it with the VO while I had that amp but the VC, auteur and aelous sounded great out of it. If I remember correctly, I actually prefer that to my wa6 (stock tubes)
Thanks for sharing. After all the comments i may just sit back and relax wait for my baby to come 😘

Oct 30, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #6,934 of 9,521
A wonderful surprise delivery this morning ... will be enjoying my listening pleasures today with the ZMF Verite close in Sapele wood.
zmf new.jpg

Oct 30, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #6,935 of 9,521
Hi Guys,

I just ordered my 1st pair or VO (be patient waiting.......). Currently I have Cayin HA-1A MK2 tube amp for my HD800S. Since it’s not OTL. I heard a lot good stuffs about OTL to high imp HPs.
Do you suggest me to buy another OTL amp? if so which one do you suggest (and perhaps share me your thoughts and tube rolling suggestions). My budget it around USD<=1500. BHC may be the last consideration as I lack of skill and time to build… LOL.

Cheers
I've used my VO on top notch OTL's, SET's and solid state amps. Sounds fantastic on all of them. OTL's do give you a little more versatility with tube swapping, but you can also achieve very similar results with pad rolling.

Shameless plug of my VO pad review: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-verite.890270/post-16562143

:wink:

Oct 30, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #6,938 of 9,521
Finally got mine -Sapele wood. Looks and feels very good. Funny thing in different lighting conditions this wood seems to ''change colors'' sort of like a 3d effect.
Now just waiting for custom cables from Arctic cables to land. Happy days:gs1000smile:

VERITE V2.jpg
That's at least partly due to a wonderful visual quality called "chatoyance" that some woods have in certain kinds of lighting.

Sapele can look pretty restrained when the lighting is indirect or low. But shine a light on it & the party lights come out.

IMHO both sapele & silkwood as stock woods offer something special visually. It doesn't hurt that both woods sound so nice.

Oct 31, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #6,939 of 9,521
2021_1029_16050100.jpg

African attack!

A bit heavier than Pheasantwood, but not really a problem due to good support on headband. Clamping is a little hard, but I think should loose overtime.

Sound wise (compare to pheasantwood), African Blackwood is punchier and more bite, more aggressive, still retain the "organic" feeling of Verite of course.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #6,940 of 9,521
Congratulations - yours are a beautiful pair of the African Blackwoods!

It's fun to see how others' grille and rod choices come out with the African Blackwood Vérité. I've just received my pair - pics to follow soon!

Clamping is a little hard, but I think should loose overtime.

Mine also clamp slightly hard. Like you, I'm going to see if it loosens up over time. If it doesn't, this video might be helpful:

Oct 31, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #6,941 of 9,521
Congratulations - yours are a beautiful pair of the African Blackwoods!

It's fun to see how others' grille and rod choices come out with the African Blackwood Vérité. I've just received my pair - pics to follow soon!

Mine also clamp slightly hard. Like you, I'm going to see if it loosens up over time. If it doesn't, this video might be helpful:

Nice info there.

No, actually that unit wasn't mine, but belong to my friend. Still have hard time to parted from my Pheasantwood. First "temptation" to let Pheasantwood gone was Camphor Burl, and now the African Blackwood. I still can't believe myself to sell/buy headphone based on woods, but the confusion is happening right now.

Additional notes: Actually African Blackwood sound closer to Camphor Burl compare to SIkwood or Pheasantwood. Pheasantwood somehow remain the most "mellow" from them all.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #6,942 of 9,521
Nice info there.

No, actually that unit wasn't mine, but belong to my friend. Still have hard time to parted from my Pheasantwood. First "temptation" to let Pheasantwood gone was Camphor Burl, and now the African Blackwood. I still can't believe myself to sell/buy headphone based on woods, but the confusion is happening right now.

Additional notes: Actually African Blackwood sound closer to Camphor Burl compare to SIkwood or Pheasantwood. Pheasantwood somehow remain the most "mellow" from them all.

Yeah - it might be the large pores on the Pheasant and lesser density - on most models I prefer Universe pads, but on my personal Pheasant set I use BE2 and it delivers a more frontal but still smooth sound.

Stay tuned this week as we will be announcing a lot of stuff for ZMF November and timeline of release dates ETC. African Blackwood will be available at least until the end of the year though!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 31, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #6,943 of 9,521
Yeah - it might be the large pores on the Pheasant and lesser density - on most models I prefer Universe pads, but on my personal Pheasant set I use BE2 and it delivers a more frontal but still smooth sound.

Stay tuned this week as we will be announcing a lot of stuff for ZMF November and timeline of release dates ETC. African Blackwood will be available at least until the end of the year though!
Nah, your taste match mine in this regard, I do also like Camphor and African with Universe pad the most (Verite pad is a bit bright for me).

For Pheasant it's always back to back between Verite pad or BE2 (I think 8 of 10 times is Verite pad though).

Able to fine tuning is amazing!

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #6,944 of 9,521

Also when it's sold out (are the numbers limited?)

Nov 1, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #6,945 of 9,521

Thanks Zach for your heads up. I just order my pair of VO normal edition. But im also excited what is coming next. 👍🏻☺️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back