ZMF Verite Open
Nov 16, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #5,433 of 9,521
The MZ3 is a fantastic amp, it's my main rig at one of my workstations. It's not a super warm sound like a true OTL as it has a lower output impedance at 2 ohms, which honestly is a very nice place to be as it's not TOO low and it still has all the benefits of a world class tube amp like holography etc and it also has a great aesthetic with that Fern and Roby design and all that.
Thank you for this authoritative response! Given the present situation, I'll decide in the next few weeks whether to do this or to flee the country... If I do (buy the MZ3 that is) I'll report here on my findings.

Nov 17, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #5,438 of 9,521
Good call that, given my screen name. Back to Wales maybe, but from the USA. It's always been an open question whether, when the time comes for retirement, the USA or UK (if the latter still exists) will be the crazier.

The USA being roughly = to the UK + millions of guns + way more virus - BREXIT...my vote would be for the USA being crazier in the short run; UK being poorer in the long run.

Nov 17, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #5,439 of 9,521
I've had my Vérité Open for a month now, been able to listen to it everyday and it's just stunning. It handles everything I listen to (rock, jazz, classical, soundtracks) with ease and adds a sense of openness and separation. BTW, I'm coming from a HD6xx, which I enjoyed quite a bit, needless to say the HD6xx hasn't seen a musical note since the VO arrived. :o2smile: I'm still using the my Jotunheim from my Mac to drive my VO while I use my computer and while I enjoy that quite a bit, I'm looking to upgrade. I'll keep the Jotunheim running of my Mac, but want to set-up a listening station in my den area, right next to my bar. One of the challenges with that location is no easy access to ethernet and I've been researching streamers to drive a Feliks Audio Echo. I saw that Matrix just released a new piece of gear that looks like it will meet my requirements, the mini-i Pro 3 for $899. I plan to use that as my DAC / streamer, and it's Roon ready, to input into a Feliks Echo. Looking forward to getting that running!

Nov 17, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #5,440 of 9,521
Silkwood VO is in the house. 2nd picture is my temp burn-in station in garage. By Tues night, burn-in will be @200 hrs and time to do some real listening.

I love the look of this wood: very subtle grain & a beautiful, rich color. The plush perforated lambskin universe pads are among the most comfortable I've found. It's a real pleasure to handle this headphone...

The very little listening I've done (10-15 seconds here & there to make sure music is playing & volume is right) tells me this VO is clear as bell, yet not bright at all. That's a real magic trick: how does ZMF do it?

(more to follow)

PS: the camera picked up a smudge on the upper part of right earcup; it's gone now.

Will be keen to hear your impressions on the VO vs the Aeolus(after the burn-in); whether it evokes the same emotions like the way Aeolus does to you :) I am still on the fence whether I should also get the VO as I am already very happy with the Aeolus... so far.

Nov 17, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #5,441 of 9,521
My VO's came in this weekend. The wood looks amazing!
Is this dark stain silkwood ? Very nice! Not sure how the new Ltd ironwood compares with this in visual appearance though. Ironwood is slightly heavier but with slightly faster speed/decay. Eager to see more pics of it in the website soon.

Nov 17, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #5,442 of 9,521
I've had my Vérité Open for a month now, been able to listen to it everyday and it's just stunning. It handles everything I listen to (rock, jazz, classical, soundtracks) with ease and adds a sense of openness and separation. BTW, I'm coming from a HD6xx, which I enjoyed quite a bit, needless to say the HD6xx hasn't seen a musical note since the VO arrived. :o2smile: I'm still using the my Jotunheim from my Mac to drive my VO while I use my computer and while I enjoy that quite a bit, I'm looking to upgrade. I'll keep the Jotunheim running of my Mac, but want to set-up a listening station in my den area, right next to my bar. One of the challenges with that location is no easy access to ethernet and I've been researching streamers to drive a Feliks Audio Echo. I saw that Matrix just released a new piece of gear that looks like it will meet my requirements, the mini-i Pro 3 for $899. I plan to use that as my DAC / streamer, and it's Roon ready, to input into a Feliks Echo. Looking forward to getting that running!

That's awesome. Definitely makes me want to buy a Verite more. Whatever you do though, keep your 6XX...I've found that even with the craziest upgrades, I always find myself returning to the HD 6x0 series for some listening sessions. I suppose YMMV, though!

Nov 17, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #5,443 of 9,521
Will be keen to hear your impressions on the VO vs the Aeolus(after the burn-in); whether it evokes the same emotions like the way Aeolus does to you :) I am still on the fence whether I should also get the VO as I am already very happy with the Aeolus... so far.

I had the loaner VO & VC here in my system for 2-3 weeks last December & was mightily impressed. The VC was hard for me to do much listening with--it's an extremely dynamic closed design (very closed) & those tend to aggravate migraine & tinnitus. So I spent more time w/the VO. To this day I've never heard any headphone combine high resolution & detail w/musicality in the way the VO does (IMO it's a masterstroke of design & HP voicing by ZMF).

Anyway, by late last year I'd fallen in love w/the Aeolus (thanks to repeated loans of my pal @jinxy245's sapele Aeolus through 2019), so that's the one I bought early this year--and it's now my favorite headphone ever. But I couldn't put the VO out of my head. Though they share the "ZMF house sound," the VO & Aeolus do sound rather different. Thus the new silkwood VO....

(More to follow)

But I predict the punchline of this story is this: you'll really want both headphones, finances permitting. I certainly did.

And did I mention my beloved Ori, which I often compare to the Aeolus on same amp/cable/music? Let me tell you, there are no losers in that comparison. The Ori is my 2nd favorite HP ever (by a nose).

Nov 17, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #5,445 of 9,521
I had the loaner VO & VC here in my system for 2-3 weeks last December & was mightily impressed. The VC was hard for me to do much listening with--it's an extremely dynamic closed design (very closed) & those tend to aggravate migraine & tinnitus. So I spent more time w/the VO. To this day I've never heard any headphone combine high resolution & detail w/musicality in the way the VO does (IMO it's a masterstroke of design & HP voicing by ZMF).

Anyway, by late last year I'd fallen in love w/the Aeolus (thanks to repeated loans of my pal @jinxy245's sapele Aeolus through 2019), so that's the one I bought early this year--and it's now my favorite headphone ever. But I couldn't put the VO out of my head. Though they share the "ZMF house sound," the VO & Aeolus do sound rather different. Thus the new silkwood VO....

(More to follow)

But I predict the punchline of this story is this: you'll really want both headphones, finances permitting. I certainly did.

And did I mention my beloved Ori, which I often compare to the Aeolus on same amp/cable/music? Let me tell you, there are no losers in that comparison. The Ori is my 2nd favorite HP ever (by a nose).
Thanks for your sharing. Without a doubt, VO is most detailed and resolving among all ZMFs. Am just a little reserved with some other comments I read that the mids in the VO is a bit recessed and timbre is not at same level as the Aeolus. I suppose each ZMFs have its own strengths. Will definitely keep my Aeolus; even if I decide to get the VO. Enjoy your new VO !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back