ZMF Verite Open
Oct 17, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #3,286 of 9,511
That's one of the few pads suitable for the Verite that I do not have, the Universe Suede. I do have the Verite Suede and I can tell you the pinpoint accuracy especially on vocals is uncanny. Instruments are more distant, but vocals are right there in your face. I also love the BE2 pads a nice in between sounding pad to the Verite and Universe.

I now see a new pad on the website, the Verite Non Perforated pad. It is now "sold out", but I may want to try that next. It's nice to have these choices and be able to tune your own sound.

Yea, those are for the VC, but I'll throw them on my VO this week and see how they sound.

Oct 17, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #3,287 of 9,511
Yea, those are for the VC, but I'll throw them on my VO this week and see how they sound.
Cool, let us know how they sound on the VO.

Oct 17, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #3,288 of 9,511
Silver Verite cable arrived today. Shown connected to my Verite Pheasantwood. Workmanship of the highest Quality!
Just got mine in today as well!! Loving the quality, it feels excellent, looks fantastic! Can’t complain! Plus it just adds to the overall beauty of my ZMF Verites

Oct 17, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #3,289 of 9,511
ECP Ravenswood + Verite. What a combo!

172B4CF5-3A08-49F8-8119-6DFBE3D4631D.jpeg

Oct 17, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #3,290 of 9,511
After weeks of changing the pads between the Universe lambskin/suede and verite lambskin pads, the verite L pads are superior in technicalities… resolution, dynamics and imaging are all clearly and objectively superior.
I couldn't go back to the other pads.

Though I can imagine it being too forward and intense for some people hence I am not surprised to see people preferring the other pads. It's all about what you like after all.

I’ve been looking for a summit-fi headphone to end my spending into this hobby for the time being, and the Verite happened to be one that came into my interest. A couple weeks ago I auditioned it along with several others, ZMF and not, and it stood out to me as the best of the bunch. But I ended up not getting it.

The Verite had a really sharp attack with bass and mids which sounds really good with drums. The other standout thing as well was the tactility of the whole setup, not just with sharp hits but with sustained notes. Tremolo picked guitars have a physical feeling to them like the real deal. I coined the term “presence” to describe this, and I honestly can’t think of much else that can match it.

However, I didn’t walk out of the store with a Verite for a reason. The less dealbreaking issue was the treble tonality being too warm and not having enough stick impact with cymbals. The major issue that I had with the Verite lies with the general upper midrange recession on the thing, and how it affects the technical ability of the Verite. I tried quite a few tracks with the Verite, starting out as always with Talk Talk’s After the Flood, Charles Mingus’ Solo Dancer, Yes’ Close to the Edge, Stravinsky’s Le Sacre du Printemps, and it actually did alright on them. The breaking point was Wretched Wisdom by Krallice, a track I don’t actually use very often for demoing. I originally wanted to use it to test the bass slam and tactility of the Verite (which it passed with flying colors, unsurprisingly) but the second the center panned guitar solo came in the rhythm guitars immediately faded out of focus, almost like a camera refocusing. In that instant the Verite shat the proverbial bed and fell flat on its face. I strongly suspect this to be an inverse of the IER-Z1R’s (my daily driver IEM) midrange clarity trick, with the upper midrange on the Z1R being boosted rather than recessed to provide the opposite effect of the Verite.

Now, here comes the little idea I’ve been toying with. I think it’s apparent that the Verite was impressive to me, but not quite impressive enough. The attack speed and “presence” stuck out to me as very good. It’s clear that the driver obviously has a tuning in mind and you can’t change that too much. However, it might be possible to tweak it slightly with a wood choice that aids the upper midrange a bit and a good cable. I don’t know to what extent it will work, but if has a considerable enough effect and my theory about the Verite’s technical ability being hampered by the tuning is true, it might be possible to actually “fix” the Verite and put it back in the running as a genuine consideration.

There’s also the Verite Closed variant to consider as well, which I haven’t personally heard but have seen impressions from “hollow and boxy” to “identical to if not better than the Verite Open”. Curious how the midrange will be like on that and if it might rectify my general gripe with the Verite. Any thoughts?

I EQ the verite upper mids 4-6dB (depending on the pads) to match~ my Elex upper mids(my reference), I doubt any amp(except tubes), dac or cable can give that much of a boost. Otherwise the guitars and some vocals can sound a bit distant to my liking.

Oct 17, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #3,291 of 9,511
After weeks of changing the pads between the Universe lambskin/suede and verite lambskin pads, the verite L pads are superior in technicalities… resolution, dynamics and imaging are all clearly and objectively superior.

Though I can imagine it being too forward and intense for some people hence I am not surprised to see people preferring the other pads. It's all about what you like after all.

I EQ the verite upper mids 4-6dB (depending on the pads) to match~ my Elex upper mids(my reference), I doubt any amp(except tubes), dac or cable can give that much of a boost. Otherwise the guitars and some vocals can sound a bit distant to my liking.
This is my same conclusion, although its quite preliminary.

The Verite lambskin pads showcase the abilities of the Verite the best.

I'm also adding a slight EQ in the upper mids, but only 2-3db.

Oct 17, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #3,293 of 9,511
ECP Ravenswood + Verite. What a combo!

That's essentially the same setup I have. It is quite a synergistic pairing! I'll admit, I do use the Auteur a little more than the Verite on that setup though.

Oct 17, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #3,294 of 9,511
That's essentially the same setup I have. It is quite a synergistic pairing! I'll admit, I do use the Auteur a little more than the Verite on that setup though.

I feel you. I actually have a cocobolo Auteur with me as a loaner and the synergy is unreal with the Auteur. It's made me think of selling the Verite for an Auteur... err... idk fk this is a real headscratcher

Oct 17, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #3,295 of 9,511

I’m the exact same way- I don’t dislike the universe pads, the soundstage is nice and big on them after all, but they definitely diminish all the technicalities you listed, and it’s super apparent when you swap from them to the V pads- they’re also a touch warmer at that, and the Vérité is already plenty warm as it is to my ears. Similarly, I EQ the mids and a bit of the treble up, which coupled with the V pads takes the Vérité from a “technically fantastic but tonally not my cup of tea” headphone, to “best active listening headphone for music enjoyment I’ve heard to date.”

Similarly I get a stronger sense of the “3D-ness” of the headphone with the V pads than what the U pads are claimed to highlight. I occasionally get a unique ‘zooming’ effect from the U pads, but because the dynamics and imaging are so much clearer and impactful with the V pads, they actually sound more distinctive and three-dimensional to me, even though the soundstage is much closer.

I could see myself throwing on the U pads once in a while if I just want to sit back with some music in the background, otherwise it’s V pads all the way for visceral, engaged listening.

Oct 17, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #3,296 of 9,511
Oct 17, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #3,300 of 9,511
Not to speak for @heliosphann ... but here's one reason:

And it's a recurring LTD wood-offering (along with my other favorite-to-date Ziricote) ... as it is almost unfailingly gorgeous, and sounds entirely lovely to boot.

What he said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back