ZMF Verite Open
Oct 17, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #3,301 of 9,521
so cocobolo or Silkwood?

There's definitely a noticeable difference in hard VS soft wood, I'd have a hard time suggesting which you'd like more though without you testing them back to back. Silk/softer woods accentuate space and decay while harder woods like cocobolo make the perceived response more even by damping better and adding speed.

I'd *think* that you'd like a harder wood better but I get this stuff wrong all the time for users tastes. But it doesn't change the frequency response.

I added some further thoughts on amping to my above post as well in edit.

Edit - V closed going to zepp and Co this week, should be there by next week if not this Friday.

Oct 17, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #3,302 of 9,521
Did some blind A/B testing thanks to my wife with the Verite on the ZDT Jr vs the RME ADI-2 amp.
I preferred the RME on 5/6 tracks that I had selected to test with, and only 1/6 with the ZDT Jr.
The RME had far better imaging, distinct clarity of detail, and improved dynamics.
The ZDT Jr had slightly improved stage depth (forward/backwards) vs the flatter stage of the RME.
I found myself tapping my foot a bit more to one song with the ZDT Jr,
but overall I found the RME compliments the technical abilities of the Verite much more.
Both amps seem to suffer from a major lack of sub-bass and bass slam.
The RME can be a bit mid-bass bloated at times, but otherwise had a more linear feeling mix with rock/metal than ZDT Jr.

Oct 18, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #3,303 of 9,521
I feel you. I actually have a cocobolo Auteur with me as a loaner and the synergy is unreal with the Auteur. It's made me think of selling the Verite for an Auteur... err... idk fk this is a real headscratcher
Wait till you find out that Yggy A2 is a far better compliment to the 3F + Auteur / Verite than Gumby a2.

The ever so slightly warmer signature, technicality, and far better staging may cause irreparable harm to your concept of "unreal".

Oct 18, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #3,304 of 9,521
it's a recurring LTD wood-offering (along with my other favorite-to-date Ziricote)
My 2 favorite woods, too :)

Oct 18, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #3,305 of 9,521
Did some blind A/B testing thanks to my wife with the Verite on the ZDT Jr vs the RME ADI-2 amp.
I preferred the RME on 5/6 tracks that I had selected to test with, and only 1/6 with the ZDT Jr.
The RME had far better imaging, distinct clarity of detail, and improved dynamics.
The ZDT Jr had slightly improved stage depth (forward/backwards) vs the flatter stage of the RME.
I found myself tapping my foot a bit more to one song with the ZDT Jr,
but overall I found the RME compliments the technical abilities of the Verite much more.
Both amps seem to suffer from a major lack of sub-bass and bass slam.
The RME can be a bit mid-bass bloated at times, but otherwise had a more linear feeling mix with rock/metal than ZDT Jr.

Zach recommended 300mW into 300 Ohms for the Verite, you need power bro.

Oct 18, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #3,309 of 9,521
Agreed. Thinking either Lyr 3, Mjolnir 2, or maybe just wait for the THX 887.
I consider my THX 789 better than my RME, so the new THX 887 should be better than your ZDT or RME. Now as to the Mjolnir 2, I do wonder myself and was thinking of trying one out if I see it cheap enough used.

Oct 18, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #3,310 of 9,521
I consider my THX 789 better than my RME, so the new THX 887 should be better than your ZDT or RME. Now as to the Mjolnir 2, I do wonder myself and was thinking of trying one out if I see it cheap enough used.
Yea I owned the 789 also but I sold it to make way for the ZDT Jr.
I didn’t have anything against the 789 but the RME was close enough in performance that I figured I’d try something different to pair with Verite. Slightly better stage and dynamics on the 789 for sure. Guess I should have kept the 789 till the Verite arrived to see how it sounded, but I’m minimalist to a fault and always get rid of stuff too soon.
Now I’m just missing bottom end slam and authority with the RME + Verite. Which has me leaning towards the Mjolnir 2 as i hear it hits pretty hard. I demo’d it awhile ago at Schittr on my Auteurs and appreciated it.
But I think in general the RME + 789 combo leans a bit too far towards analytical, at least it was for the Focal Clear and Auteur. Didn’t really care for the Ether 2 on that setup either.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #3,311 of 9,521
Yea I owned the 789 also but I sold it to make way for the ZDT Jr.
I didn’t have anything against the 789 but the RME was close enough in performance that I figured I’d try something different to pair with Verite. Slightly better stage and dynamics on the 789 for sure. Guess I should have kept the 789 till the Verite arrived to see how it sounded, but I’m minimalist to a fault and always get rid of stuff too soon.
Now I’m just missing bottom end slam and authority with the RME + Verite. Which has me leaning towards the Mjolnir 2 as i hear it hits pretty hard. I demo’d it awhile ago at Schittr on my Auteurs and appreciated it.
But I think in general the RME + 789 combo leans a bit too far towards analytical, at least it was for the Focal Clear and Auteur. Didn’t really care for the Ether 2 on that setup either.
Build a Bottlehead Crack + speedball....if I can do it...I’m almost positive anyone can. It has some pretty amazing synergy...or ask @Wes S where he got his Crack from, also they can give some good advice on tube rolls...

or look at the ZMF Pendant (budget withstanding). I’m also a fan of the Cayin HA-1A MKII, but it is basically a more powerful Eddie Current ZDT Jr with more tube rolling options, it is beautiful to look at but tube rolling is a pain...

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #3,312 of 9,521
Agreed. Thinking either Lyr 3, Mjolnir 2, or maybe just wait for the THX 887.

You also may consider the Liquid platinum, I heard it's a great pairing with the Verite and can be found for $600 on sales.

Oct 18, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #3,313 of 9,521
Build a Bottlehead Crack + speedball....if I can do it...I’m almost positive anyone can. It has some pretty amazing synergy...or ask @Wes S where he got his Crack from, also they can give some good advice on tube rolls...

or look at the ZMF Pendant (budget withstanding). I’m also a fan of the Cayin HA-1A MKII, but it is basically a more powerful Eddie Current ZDT Jr with more tube rolling options, it is beautiful to look at but tube rolling is a pain...
Yea I've entertained building a BHC+SB for awhile. Was actually gonna ask your input on the difference between it and the ZDT Jr cause I saw your comments on Headphonescom forums. I checked their website yesterday and it doesn't look like it's on sale right now, I know it can come down in price from time to time. Building it would be fun no doubt.
Pendant has been on my list but I'm already over budget with the Verite purchase. :D

You also may consider the Liquid platinum, I heard it's a great pairing with the Verite and can be found for $600 on sales.

I've briefly looked into the LP. But it's never really piqued my interest. I'll revisit the idea though.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Oct 18, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #3,314 of 9,521
Having compared both, imo, BHC+SB > ZDT Jr for Auteur / Verite. (By a country mile.)

If you can find one, get an EC Blackwidow 2. Better than all of the aforementioned amps when considering synergy with Zach's headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #3,315 of 9,521
Yea I've entertained building a BHC+SB for awhile. Was actually gonna ask your input on the difference between it and the ZDT Jr cause I saw your comments on Headphonescom forums. I checked their website yesterday and it doesn't look like it's on sale right now, I know it can come down in price from time to time. Building it would be fun no doubt.
Pendant has been on my list but I'm already over budget with the Verite purchase. :D

I've briefly looked into the LP. But it's never really piqued my interest. I'll revisit the idea though.

Thanks for the suggestions.
LP is a great amp and responds well to tube rolling. However a preamp is kind of a necessity with it and that adds to the price if you need good balanced preamp as the amp has very high gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back