ZMF Verite Open
Oct 4, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #3,166 of 9,521
Spending the same level of time to do a proper review on something for which it is immediately apparent either isn't for me (it might be excellent, but not my thing ... the Meze Empyrean are a case in point there), or I just outright dislike, is another. And I don't feel good trashing products based on just a couple of hours exposure. Though if someone asks specifically, I don't tend to hold back - I just don't go pushing my thoughts on it (and often not even mentioning I've heard it) unless asked anymore.
I totally get it.
The balance I found that works for me - I would spend couple hours writing impressions, both on things I like, as well as things I do not. Obviously, it is not going to be as deep as your full reviews, and I categorize them as impressions... not reviews.
Again, that is the path I took, and I truly appreciate the time and patience of people who write full and lengthy reviews.

Oct 4, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #3,167 of 9,521
I gotta agree. I don’t do reviews, but as a consumer those negative reviews have just as much value as the positive ones. If a product is not up to snuff, I want to know about it as it may give me pause to go and buy something blindly which will cost me a lot of money on a resale. There are sometimes like the Empy where I disagreed with Darthpool, but I valued his writing his thoughts on it anyway.
To be clear,my conscious is not bothered by honestly critiquing a product put out by a corporation,such as Sennheiser,or Beyerdynamic,for example.
The one overly critical review I did was a product done out of love by a single,well meaning dude,and to see his product essentially disappear from the first 5-10 pages of the Headphone section pains me to know that in some way,shape or form I may have contributed to its demise. That being said if I was wrong in my views of the headphone,then it most likely wouldnt be slowly sinking into oblivion.

I wasnt all that enthused about the Jade 2 energizer,and said so,but to criticize a large company doesnt bother me really all that much. Regardless,its still not enjoyable,nor easy to do a negative review.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #3,168 of 9,521
To be clear,my conscious is not bothered by honestly critiquing a product put out by a corporation,such as Sennheiser,or Beyerdynamic,for example.
The one overly critical review I did was a product done out of love by a single,well meaning dude,and to see his product essentially disappear from the first 5-10 pages of the Headphone section pains me to know that in some way,shape or form I may have contributed to its demise. That being said if I was wrong in my views of the headphone,then it most likely wouldnt be slowly sinking into oblivion.

I wasnt all that enthused about the Jade 2 energizer,and said so,but to criticize a large company doesnt bother me really all that much. Regardless,its still not enjoyable,nor easy to do a negative review.
I definitely understand about a bad review on a one man operation. Also there is a difference between a “this is crap “review and “this isn’t to my taste” kind of review. For instance Josh Valour recently slammed the Verum and he said it pained him to do so but felt he had to because just about everyone he knew with one had their headphones break. I think sometimes you just have to do that since quite a few people are spending their hard earned money on these products and sometimes need to be warned if the product is not up to snuff.

Also, a good reviewer will not only give the positive aspects about something he likes, but the negative ones too. That negative aspect, like weight, may be a deal breaker for someone else.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #3,169 of 9,521
Josh Valour recently slammed the Verite and he said it pained him to do so but felt he had to because just about everyone he knew with one had their headphones break.
Interesting. Considering ZMF offers lifetime warranty to the original owner,it seems like a moot point. I also saw his review of another one man show where he didnt really review the product,other than to say it had channel imbalance and therefore he couldnt recommend it. Thats fair. I also reviewed said headphone,and my pair worked fine. Unfortunately it was here with me the same time the VC was,so it mostly got neglected. :wink: I havent posted my review of it,and not sure if I ever will,but it did sound pretty good for its price.

Also, a good reviewer will not only give the positive aspects about something he likes, but the negative ones too. That negative aspect, like weight, may be a deal breaker for someone else.
Yeah,in my overly critical review I said repeatedly that if folks watching were bassheads,they needed to go buy this headphone,because the bass was ridiculous. Unfortunately the rest of the freqs werent up to snuff.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #3,170 of 9,521
@mixman I tried very hard to not come off bashing the Empyrean, because I could easily see where it gets the praise it does. They just weren't for me, I think negative thoughts are good as long as it is understood that those are just the subjective (hopefully, if objectively negative, I probably like @Torq wouldn't waste my time reviewing something) thoughts from my perspective on a thing, I am me, not the masses.

Sure I probably have alignment in likes, dislikes,with a multitude of people, but the nuance is enough between everyone to have individual preferences. I try and respect and recognize that fact as much as possible/when able, made aware etc :wink:

Stream of consciousness posts also for me foster better community engagement, especially when it turns into a discussion while it's being posted/edited (rare when that happens, but what a joy to have discussions like that).

Anyhow time to prep to board my flight to the Motherland "All, hail ZMFestivus!!!" Lol

Oct 4, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #3,171 of 9,521
I definitely understand about a bad review on a one man operation. Also there is a difference between a “this is crap “review and “this isn’t to my taste” kind of review. For instance Josh Valour recently slammed the Verite and he said it pained him to do so but felt he had to because just about everyone he knew with one had their headphones break.

I don't know what issues with the Verite we have had aside from one we've been very open about - which is that we were using an incorrect thread locker for magnesium parts which stripped some paint off the gimbals on some early sets. We have replaced every one of these parts that has been brought to our attention without question. And mind you this was for an aesthetic issue not parts breaking.

Aside from that - I actually haven't heard about a single part having issues on the Verite, and if there is a problem we always take care of it.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 4, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #3,172 of 9,521
I don't know what issues with the Verite we have had aside from one we've been very open about - which is that we were using an incorrect thread locker for magnesium parts which stripped some paint off the gimbals on some early sets. We have replaced every one of these parts that has been brought to our attention without question. And mind you this was for an aesthetic issue not parts breaking.

Aside from that - I actually haven't heard about a single part having issues on the Verite, and if there is a problem we always take care of it.
Sorry for the confusion, meant Verum headphones not Verite. Ipad spelling correction. I have written Verite so many times that's all my Ipad knows.

Oct 4, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #3,173 of 9,521
Sorry for the confusion, meant Verum headphones not Verite. Ipad spelling correction. I have written Verite so many times that's all my Ipad knows.

We were sure confused or at least I was because my Verite is perfect. Need to be careful with any auto corrections. :)

Oct 4, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #3,174 of 9,521
Verum...that makes more sense. Thats the headphone I had here that the VC caused me to neglect. Apparently numerous QC issues,but keep in mind dude builds each pair by hand,and frankly for the asking price,they sounded quite good.
That being said,I reached out to him for some talking points,and he didnt even bother to respond,so........

Oct 4, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #3,175 of 9,521
I actually demoed the Verum and contacted the gentleman who builds them. He got right back with me and was very helpful. With a one man show who knows how busy he is.

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #3,177 of 9,521
Verum...that makes more sense. Thats the headphone I had here that the VC caused me to neglect. Apparently numerous QC issues,but keep in mind dude builds each pair by hand,and frankly for the asking price,they sounded quite good.
That being said,I reached out to him for some talking points,and he didnt even bother to respond,so........

Yeah I think Josh liked the sound too, but because of the QC issues he and some others had, said he couldn't recommend them......oh and this time no names. LOL!

I was searching for this review and statement from that YouTuber lol thank you for clarifying.

Believe me, if that was a ZMF HP that was mentioned, it would have been posted here or in another thread long before I got to it!

Oct 5, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #3,178 of 9,521
Reviews? I don't need no stinking reviews.

(I heard them at RMAF.)

Purchased in anticipation of receiving the Verite closed:

IMG_20191004_213055.jpg

Not trying to brag. Just sharing my excitement.

I wasn't expecting the power tubes to be as big as a soda can, but they are. (Mt Dew for scale.**)

** I was out of bananas.

Oct 5, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #3,179 of 9,521
Reviews? I don't need no stinking reviews.

(I heard them at RMAF.)

Purchased in anticipation of receiving the Verite closed:

Not trying to brag. Just sharing my excitement.

I wasn't expecting the power tubes to be as big as a soda can, but they are. (Mt Dew for scale.**)

** I was out of bananas.

You know what they say about big tubes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back