ZMF Verite Open
Aug 5, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #2,581 of 9,534
As far as wood goes on the Verite, it effects the sound the least amount of all ZMF's offerings. You should probably just go with what wood aesthetically looks best to you. You can tweak the sound much more with pad swapping and other gear in your chain.

FWIW I didn't care too much for the Verite and the 789. But it will certainly suffice until you get a tube amp.

Awesome thanks for the response. I think I remember reading your comment about the Verite + 789 pairing not being your favorite at some point in my research/browsing. As remarkable as the 789 is for what it is, I haven't been feeling in love with it with my current HP line-up either. I do prefer it to the ADI-2 amp portion because of the bigger stage and better dynamics, but all-around it's not very engaging.

Monster has heard silk and pheasantwood side by side so he should be able to comment better. But I believe it is pretty well established that the woods don't change the sound as much as the pads do. Changes in low end and decay are slight and true as you've described. If that's the sound you're looking for, choose the harder wood. Otherwise, make the aesthetic choice and enjoy! You'll end up with a Vérité either way.

Right on. Yea I don't think I'll be unhappy either way and I appreciate the affirmation!

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #2,582 of 9,534
As far as wood goes on the Verite, it effects the sound the least amount of all ZMF's offerings. You should probably just go with what wood aesthetically looks best to you. You can tweak the sound much more with pad swapping and other gear in your chain.

FWIW I didn't care too much for the Verite and the 789. But it will certainly suffice until you get a tube amp.
What's your preferred amp choice? Tried the LP and so far the Verite sounded better on the THX 789 to me.

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #2,583 of 9,534
What's your preferred amp choice? Tried the LP and so far the Verite sounded better on the THX 789 to me.

I've got a Glenn OTL and a DNA Stratus that the Verite sounds amazing on. Zach uses both these amps to demo his headphones at shows. I also quite like the Wells Audio Milo for a solid state offering.

I liked the Verite with the LP, but I had some pretty good tubes in it. That can make a big difference.

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #2,584 of 9,534

Monster has heard silk and pheasantwood side by side so he should be able to comment better. But I believe it is pretty well established that the woods don't change the sound as much as the pads do. Changes in low end and decay are slight and true as you've described. If that's the sound you're looking for, choose the harder wood. Otherwise, make the aesthetic choice and enjoy! You'll end up with a Vérité either way.

Awesome thanks for the response. I think I remember reading your comment about the Verite + 789 pairing not being your favorite at some point in my research/browsing. As remarkable as the 789 is for what it is, I haven't been feeling in love with it with my current HP line-up either. I do prefer it to the ADI-2 amp portion because of the bigger stage and better dynamics, but all-around it's not very engaging.

Right on. Yea I don't think I'll be unhappy either way and I appreciate the affirmation!

Yep,not much difference between the Silk and pheasantwood. I thought the Pheasantwood was a tad cleaner,with slightly faster decay.
You cant go wrong with any wood really. Pick the one you like the looks of best.

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #2,585 of 9,534
Yep,not much difference between the Silk and pheasantwood. I thought the Pheasantwood was a tad cleaner,with slightly faster decay.
You cant go wrong with any wood really. Pick the one you like the looks of best.

For sure. I'm really struggling between silkwood + black aluminum grill vs. cocobolo + stainless grill. :thinking: I also think the ~80g weight difference is something to consider yea? Both should be lighter than Auteur Teak though I think and they never bother me too much.

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #2,586 of 9,534
The weight has never been a problem for me on any headphone, but if you have issues with weight, then absolutely.

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #2,587 of 9,534
Might repurchase the LP and try different tubes. Kind of tapped out as far as getting a more expensive amp right now anyway. Honestly the Gold Lions didn’t seem to make a whole lot of difference, hopefully other tubes will though.

Which pads do you prefer on your Verite?

I prefer the Universal Lambskin, followed closely by the Vérité Leather.

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #2,588 of 9,534
My new (too me, they’re even older than I am) Tubes arrived from France this afternoon, for my Euforia. Telefunken EL 12 Spez and Mullard EL32, oh my God, The soundstage with Vérité is gigantic, depth to die for. The Drummer on Stan Getz & Bill Evans is in my backyard!

The gold and silver stock tubes of the Euforia, are they any good with the verite?

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #2,589 of 9,534

The first Ltd pheasantwood was not really hard or dense, the cocobolo is much denser and harder so theoretically the small differences should be more prominent.

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #2,590 of 9,534
The first Ltd pheasantwood was not really hard or dense, the cocobolo is much denser and harder so theoretically the small differences should be more prominent.
Perhaps. I can only comment on the two that I've heard extensively.

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #2,591 of 9,534
I'm looking to purchase a pair of Verite and I'm trying to figure out which wood would suit my preferences better, wondering if anyone can shed some light. I listen to primarily electronic, metal, indie (in that order). I'm currently using an ADI-2 fed into the 789. Ultimately I'll likely end with a tube amp of some sort instead of the 789 but for now that's my setup. I prioritize clarity and detail over naturalness due to my music preferences. I did listen Verite Silkwood at CanJamNotice but wondering if Cocobolo could be more or less to my liking. The only wood headphone I have owned to reference to is the Auteur Teak so I don't have much personal experience with harder vs softer woods but...
From what I've gathered:

Silk Wood - Softer & Lighter. Less bass. More treble sparkle. Thinner. Slower decay.
Cocobolo - Harder & Heavier. More bass (subwoofer like), not as crisp treble. Lush. Faster decay. Darker background.

Any thoughts or corrections would be appreciated.

Obviously there is the visual preference factors and price to consider as well but I got those categories figured out.

The pheasant was a unique and interesting wood with its large pores and slightly harder than medium density - a couple people listened to Cocobolo/Pheasant and Silk all back to back and all had different preferences. The hardness and differences in Timbre are more perceived by some users and less by others so I try to never make finite statements.

One gentleman at CanJam London spent a long time A/Bing the Cocobolo vs the silk, he listened to a lot of metal and preferred the speed and "weight" to the sound of the Cocobolo. Cocobolo has a nice "snap" to it as well, in most regards it's virtually indistinguishable between the Ziricote we just did, the Ziricote might be a touch smoother up top, but you'd be splitting hairs.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 6, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #2,592 of 9,534
The gold and silver stock tubes of the Euforia, are they any good with the verite?

Don’t have the silver, but the Gold sound very good a well, they give up a touch of musicality for clarity.

Aug 6, 2019 at 1:01 AM Post #2,594 of 9,534
The pheasant was a unique and interesting wood with its large pores and slightly harder than medium density - a couple people listened to Cocobolo/Pheasant and Silk all back to back and all had different preferences. The hardness and differences in Timbre are more perceived by some users and less by others so I try to never make finite statements.

One gentleman at CanJam London spent a long time A/Bing the Cocobolo vs the silk, he listened to a lot of metal and preferred the speed and "weight" to the sound of the Cocobolo. Cocobolo has a nice "snap" to it as well, in most regards it's virtually indistinguishable between the Ziricote we just did, the Ziricote might be a touch smoother up top, but you'd be splitting hairs.

Zach - any plans to offer Rose Gold grille and hardware on the Autuer cocobolo ? :) best, Ken Ji @zach915m

Aug 6, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #2,595 of 9,534
Zach - any plans to offer Rose Gold grille and hardware on the Autuer cocobolo ? :) best, Ken Ji @zach915m

Yep!!!

I just got the rose gold in for all three open models and will be posting pics on the site shortly. I posted the Verite today and will do both aeolus and auteur in the next couple days. So we will have 5 options for the LTD edition models.

One note on the rose gold, it may not show as accurately as I'd like in the pic - but it's Chromed steel, so the Rose gold is very shiny, more-so than the other metals.

Grilles.jpg

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back