ZMF Verite Open
Aug 4, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #2,566 of 9,535
Looks like I'm getting peasantwood. Quite happy to be a peasant for this headphone. :)

Welcome to the Verite+GOTL club. I believe youre member #8.

Aug 4, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #2,568 of 9,535
IMHO peasantwood is one of the best looking.

Aug 4, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #2,569 of 9,535
Aug 5, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #2,571 of 9,535
I'm highly considering the Cocobolo...now to pick which metal finishes! I'm tired of chasing around different headphones trying to find the "best" sounding. At the summit, it really is about preference. There's something about the combination of amazing sound, unique beauty, and great customer support with ZMF cans that I just want to settle with the Verite and call it a day.

I've been happily married, but it almost sounds like I'm trying to find a spouse here...which I guess, you could say I want to marry my Verite :o2smile:

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #2,572 of 9,535
I'm highly considering the Cocobolo...now to pick which metal finishes! I'm tired of chasing around different headphones trying to find the "best" sounding. At the summit, it really is about preference. There's something about the combination of amazing sound, unique beauty, and great customer support with ZMF cans that I just want to settle with the Verite and call it a day.

I've been happily married, but it almost sounds like I'm trying to find a spouse here...which I guess, you could say I want to marry my Verite :o2smile:
Same here. I will most likely be unable to go for it and will be looking at the next limited wood due to a recent furniture purchase. Curious to see the new offerings look like: rose gold and copper. The SS always has a soft spot for me though as I didn't 100% like the black in person.

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #2,573 of 9,535

If it was Zircote I would be there, although I am still up in the air about these or the closed Verite. My main fear is that the closed Verite's soundstage will be somewhat crippled compared to the open and for me that is one of the Verite's main advantage among many TOTL cans.

By the way, we seem to have similar collections, except swapping the 4 for the Empy's. Was thinking about the 4z and still am. Maybe by the end of the year.

Also how is the Liquid Platinum on the Verite? You may recall from the LP thread, I had it and ultimately I didn't see that much of a benefit for it over my THX AAA so I returned it. Who knows may get it again and try to roll more tubes in it.

Aug 5, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #2,574 of 9,535
Is there anyone using the flat pads with OTL amps? how is the pairing? especially the soundstage, imaging and bass.

Aug 5, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #2,575 of 9,535
If it was Zircote I would be there, although I am still up in the air about these or the closed Verite. My main fear is that the closed Verite's soundstage will be somewhat crippled compared to the open and for me that is one of the Verite's main advantage among many TOTL cans.

By the way, we seem to have similar collections, except swapping the 4 for the Empy's. Was thinking about the 4z and still am. Maybe by the end of the year.

Also how is the Liquid Platinum on the Verite? You may recall from the LP thread, I had it and ultimately I didn't see that much of a benefit for it over my THX AAA so I returned it. Who knows may get it again and try to roll more tubes in it.

I was almost ready to move on from the Verite until I bought a pair of NOS Amperex 7308s for my Liquid Platinum. Brings more clarity and punch, and opens up the soundstage even more. Before that, I had some less special tubes (stock EH 6922, Voskshod rockets, EH Gold Lions), and felt like they were too warm and "gooey" when paired with the Verite. I've completely stopped rolling tubes after finding this combo, so I can't give much more advice than that. Hopefully others can help there!

Aug 5, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #2,576 of 9,535
My new (too me, they’re even older than I am) Tubes arrived from France this afternoon, for my Euforia. Telefunken EL 12 Spez and Mullard EL32, oh my God, The soundstage with Vérité is gigantic, depth to die for. The Drummer on Stan Getz & Bill Evans is in my backyard!

Aug 5, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #2,577 of 9,535
I was almost ready to move on from the Verite until I bought a pair of NOS Amperex 7308s for my Liquid Platinum. Brings more clarity and punch, and opens up the soundstage even more. Before that, I had some less special tubes (stock EH 6922, Voskshod rockets, EH Gold Lions), and felt like they were too warm and "gooey" when paired with the Verite. I've completely stopped rolling tubes after finding this combo, so I can't give much more advice than that. Hopefully others can help there!

Might repurchase the LP and try different tubes. Kind of tapped out as far as getting a more expensive amp right now anyway. Honestly the Gold Lions didn’t seem to make a whole lot of difference, hopefully other tubes will though.

My new (too me, they’re even older than I am) Tubes arrived from France this afternoon, for my Euforia. Telefunken EL 12 Spez and Mullard EL32, oh my God, The soundstage with Vérité is gigantic, depth to die for. The Drummer on Stan Getz & Bill Evans is in my backyard!
Which pads do you prefer on your Verite?

Aug 5, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #2,578 of 9,535
I'm looking to purchase a pair of Verite and I'm trying to figure out which wood would suit my preferences better, wondering if anyone can shed some light. I listen to primarily electronic, metal, indie (in that order). I'm currently using an ADI-2 fed into the 789. Ultimately I'll likely end with a tube amp of some sort instead of the 789 but for now that's my setup. I prioritize clarity and detail over naturalness due to my music preferences. I did listen Verite Silkwood at CanJamNotice but wondering if Cocobolo could be more or less to my liking. The only wood headphone I have owned to reference to is the Auteur Teak so I don't have much personal experience with harder vs softer woods but...
From what I've gathered:

Silk Wood - Softer & Lighter. Less bass. More treble sparkle. Thinner. Slower decay.
Cocobolo - Harder & Heavier. More bass (subwoofer like), not as crisp treble. Lush. Faster decay. Darker background.

Any thoughts or corrections would be appreciated.

Obviously there is the visual preference factors and price to consider as well but I got those categories figured out.

Aug 5, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #2,579 of 9,535
I'm looking to purchase a pair of Verite and I'm trying to figure out which wood would suit my preferences better, wondering if anyone can shed some light. I listen to primarily electronic, metal, indie (in that order). I'm currently using an ADI-2 fed into the 789. Ultimately I'll likely end with a tube amp of some sort instead of the 789 but for now that's my setup. I prioritize clarity and detail over naturalness due to my music preferences. I did listen Verite Silkwood at CanJamNotice but wondering if Cocobolo could be more or less to my liking. The only wood headphone I have owned to reference to is the Auteur Teak so I don't have much personal experience with harder vs softer woods but...
From what I've gathered:

Silk Wood - Softer & Lighter. Less bass. More treble sparkle. Thinner. Slower decay.
Cocobolo - Harder & Heavier. More bass (subwoofer like), not as crisp treble. Lush. Faster decay. Darker background.

Obviously there is the visual preference factors and price to consider as well but I got those categories figured out.

As far as wood goes on the Verite, it effects the sound the least amount of all ZMF's offerings. You should probably just go with what wood aesthetically looks best to you. You can tweak the sound much more with pad swapping and other gear in your chain.

FWIW I didn't care too much for the Verite and the 789. But it will certainly suffice until you get a tube amp.

Aug 5, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #2,580 of 9,535
From what I've gathered:

Monster has heard silk and pheasantwood side by side so he should be able to comment better. But I believe it is pretty well established that the woods don't change the sound as much as the pads do. Changes in low end and decay are slight and true as you've described. If that's the sound you're looking for, choose the harder wood. Otherwise, make the aesthetic choice and enjoy! You'll end up with a Vérité either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back