ZMF Verite Open
Oct 16, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #151 of 9,525
Quick question, did you find the Verite to sound 'more' open than the Auteurs? Just curious...
Hard to say precisely. Show conditions etc...

Oct 16, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #152 of 9,525
Oct 16, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #153 of 9,525
@ProfFalkin - I cannot believe I missed you at RMAF... :confused:
I was that one guy at Zach's booth. You know, the one sitting in the chair.

... Listening to headphones.

... I was wearing shoes.

I bet you saw me and didn't recognize me. I don't look like my Head-Fi avatar.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #155 of 9,525
I saw several people wearing shoes at CanJam earlier this year.

These coincidences are getting downright creepy...and I do look like my Head-Fi avatar.
I must say, the number of bathed and clean people at rmaf increased this year. I only ran into a few odiferous people.

Showers are good, mmmmm k?

Oct 17, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #156 of 9,525
I agree with this. Let me add a different perspective, as a person who owns Eikon and Auteur, and has owned the Atticus, and had extensively demoed the Verite at RMAF... I perfer the Eikon out of the 3 I own. I still very much enjoy the Auteur, as I agree it is more of a reference sounding headphone and has better headstage, but it lacks a bit of the sub-bass kick I love so much with the Eikon. I switch between the two depending on which playlist I'm craving at the moment. The Atticus was just too rich sounding for me. Personal preference.

I think The Verite has a best-of-both-worlds sound between the Eikon and Auteur, but it still managed to pull off a unique sound of its own. You get the openness of the Auteur, more of the detail and treble, but it also keeps much more of the mid richness and sub-bass emphasis of the Eikon. That description might sound like a bit of a paradox, but that's how I would describe it. I can see why people would call it a Super Eikon, as the analogy did initially cross my mind when I was listening to it. I realized after more listening that it has important and distinct differences that make it unique. While it is very difficult to hear some things in show conditions, I came away with a sense that while the Verite has tonal similarities to the two, it surpasses both in speed, transitions, and an overall sense of crispness.

As for Utopia comparisons, I too have never liked that headphone. I think the most "reference" sounding headphone of the bunch is the Auteur, and I think Utopia fans would be truly impressed and even prefer it over Focal's flagship. Point of fact: My friend, let's just call him Bob, sold his Utopia for a Blackwood Auteur, and he is pleased as punch having done so. Bob's chain is Tidal > iMac > Yggy A2 > EC Af, plus a bunch of extremely good cables and interconnects. I know he didn't like the staging / imaging on the Focal's, and had minor gripes about parts of the FR as well. He also heard the Verite at RMAF, and he was cussing about having another headphone he had to buy.

For the Verite, and I haven't heard the final tuning yet, I think it will end up being the best headphone in the ZMF line up for a great many people.

How does the sub bass rumble and mid richness on the eikon compare to verite ?

Oct 17, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #157 of 9,525
Let me try to add my take on Atticus / Eikon / Auteur / Verite in a different and less scientific way, and without using any "audiophile lingo":
* When Zach only had the Atticus and Eikon - I strongly preferred the Atticus. The sound of the Atticus was just "right for me" and was more pleasing to my ears.
* When the Auteur came - I thought the sound is more "reference" compared to the previous 2, but that did not "do it for me".
* Now, spending some time at Zach's table at RMAF - the Verite was (just like the Atticus in the past) love from first note. It sounds very different from any of the previous 3, and going to be competing with the Atticus on who is my favorite :wink:

BTW, I am listening mostly to Rock and Metal. No EDM / hip-hop / rap / classical music.

So, based on my sample of 1 (myself) - if you prefer Atticus over Eikon, there is a good chance you'd prefer the Verite over Auteur. This is just a guess, of course...
IMHO the Verite is NOT an Eikon on steroids.
Also, people keep asking for A/B with Utopia... All I can say is I never liked the Utopia. To my ears, Clear is better sounding, and I could never understand the excitement around the Utopia. The Verite is way more fun and musical.

After reading this I am very interested in hearing the Verite....I also love the Atticus very much and listen to mostly blues with some classic rock

Oct 17, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #158 of 9,525
After reading this I am very interested in hearing the Verite....I also love the Atticus very much and listen to mostly blues with some classic rock
I see in your signature that you have the Glenn OTL... Zach brought one with him to RMAF, and most of my Verite listening was through it. GREAT pairing IMHO. I do not own one, and that pairing made me think about getting one (NOOOOOO!!!!!!! my poor poor wallet...)

Oct 17, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #159 of 9,525
How does the sub bass rumble and mid richness on the eikon compare to verite ?
I'm going to wait to comment until I hear production units.

Oct 18, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #161 of 9,525
I see in your signature that you have the Glenn OTL... Zach brought one with him to RMAF, and most of my Verite listening was through it. GREAT pairing IMHO. I do not own one, and that pairing made me think about getting one (NOOOOOO!!!!!!! my poor poor wallet...)

Glenn's OTL amps punch far above their budget IMHO. The basic version may be one of the best bang for the bucks in head-fi. The wait can be a little while but you will be rewarded in the end.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #162 of 9,525

Glenn's OTL amps punch far above their budget IMHO. The basic version may be one of the best bang for the bucks in head-fi. The wait can be a little while but you will be rewarded in the end.

Definitely take a look at Glenn’s amp. For the price and what’s offered it’s really a fantastic deal. Not only that but several of us can attest to the combination of the Auteurs and the GOTL having beautiful synergy.

I can imagine what the Verite or the Aeolus will sound paired with it. Now if Glenn made the amp with the same wood as the headphones Zach uses. Never know concerning collaborations. *Nudges Zach and Glenn*

Oct 18, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #163 of 9,525
Is there official website for Glenn's amps?

Oct 18, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #164 of 9,525

Users who are viewing this thread

Back