ZMF Verite Open
Jan 5, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #9,346 of 9,521
Perhaps we are part of the silent majority ... A lack of clarity is absolutely a trait of this headphone!

I think the reason why we don't hear these opinions is because we invest so heavily in the product that any perceived negativity reduces the value when we come to sell them on.
Definitely have to disagree as the level of clarity is certainly there (I prefer these to the Calderas which I trialled for a week at home). It's not quite at the level of my HEK Stealths but the Stealths are very V shaped (and treble heavy whcich gives that sense of clarity) and the VOs complement them beauitfully. I listen to a lot of fast metal and the Atriums couldn't keep up in my opinion but the Calderas and The VOs do it with ease.

And sorry - not, discounting your experience but you are clearly hearing them differently to the rest of us or they are faulty or your chain doesn't match (cables etc too). You mightn't like the sound but you are incorrect when stating they lack clarity.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #9,347 of 9,521
I'm not sure how that is weird?

It's really not about the fact they aren't just for me I'm afraid. They are a headphone costing over £2,000 with sound quality that is sub par. I'd use stronger language but I'm trying to be measured and objective which is difficult when they sound so bad.
Again have to disagree. They are NOT sub-par in quality, YOU just don't like them. Contact ZMF, sell them and buy something else bud.

And again I feel the need to explain. I'm not normally direct but it literally is like saying a BMW is a sub-par vehicle. People may get a lemon but the quality of BMW is excellent! This is not subjective.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #9,348 of 9,521
I think the reason why we don't hear these opinions is because we invest so heavily in the product that any perceived negativity reduces the value when we come to sell them on.
Nah, the reason why we don't hear these opinions as often is because they are the minority of opinions, which means you are in the minority of VO owners, which is absolutely okay!

As you (and another member commented), perhaps the tuning is just not aligned with your preferences, and again that is totally respectable. What seems less respectable to me is to paint the VO in such a negative light and continue posting disparaging opinions about the headphone, peddling them as absolutes ("A lack of clarity is absolutely a trait of this headphone!"). I think at this point it would be fairer to move on, accept that the tuning didn't work out for you, OR dialogue about further troubleshooting without the negative input.

I'll resist in furthering this conversation, but perhaps a helpful step would be to ask if you have any other headphones currently to compare to the VO on the same exact chain. That might help us clarify your preferences more. I'm not sure if the Diana V2s you preferred were on the same setup, though I would imagine most people would not prefer the Dianas with an OTL amp like the Feliks Euforia.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #9,349 of 9,521
They were VC ... I struggled with the pressure on my ears vs open but they certainly didn't give me the problems as noted above. They were certainly easier to achieve a more balanced sound.
I think something just must not be right. The VC and VO aren't that different, and to my ears they're the most similar of the ZMFs using the same driver in an open and closed version. I certainly don't hear any difference in clarity between them and neither are muddy with any pad I've tried.

I see 3 ZMFs you had or maybe still have and if you got rid of them all and still bought the VO then your suspicion that maybe the house sound just isn't for you is likely correct. Though all 4 are quite different from each other. Personally if I didn't like 3 from one company I wouldn't bother with a 4th especially as a blind buy.

Probably doesn't help to suggest yet another pad like the Unvierse suedes, because it sounds more they're just not for you and/or something got damaged in shipping. Since you're using Hugo 2 as a DAC do you prefer them at all using the Hugo directly? I actually liked it with the VO when I had one, though still preferred it as a DAC to tubes. I'd suggest communicating with ZMF Support again because it doesn't seem like any of the responses here have helped anything.

Hopefully something works out for your one way or another.

Jan 6, 2024 at 4:18 AM Post #9,350 of 9,521
After an emotional evening some additional info ...

I've been leaving the headphones plugged in to the headphone out on the Hugo 2 overnight to burn in for a month now and when I listen to them in the morning the clarity is there (universe) ... I switch everything off and come back to them later in the day and play them and the muddiness and lack of clarity is back regardless of which amp I plug the headphones into.

So I'm going to leave the headphones and come back to them this afternoon and see how they sound.

Jan 6, 2024 at 4:27 AM Post #9,351 of 9,521

I've been leaving the headphones plugged in to the headphone out on the Hugo 2 overnight to burn in for a month now and when I listen to them in the morning the clarity is there (universe) ... I switch everything off and come back to them later in the day and play them and the muddiness and lack of clarity is back regardless of which amp I plug the headphones into.

So I'm going to leave the headphones and come back to them this afternoon and see how they sound.
Definitely something odd happening there. Hope for your sake it all works out but I can tell you now, these things are detail monsters and SLAM! Synergy is a huge thing too. I have a pair of JM AUdio XTC 2.5 closeds and they are HUGE in sound (clarity, bass, treble, soundstage). Actually too much on my Sparkos Aries (it's fatiguing) but on my Eufonika OTC tube and McChannson OTC tube, they are perfect!

Jan 6, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #9,352 of 9,521
Thanks for the reply ..

Yeah I'm with you on the fact the universe sound brighter than the Be2.

As for support from ZMF I'm not so sure ... My headphones were delivered with a faulty cable and it took a couple of emails for them to repond. And even then when the replacement cable was sent I had to pay import duties on it ... I know they were busy with ZMF November and all that but still it doesn't leave one feeling appreciated after spending so much money with them.

I actually owned the Atrium but found them a little too mid forward ...

As I type this Im listening to 'People Get Ready' performed by Eva Cassidy with the Caldera pads and its just veiled ... This is not hi-fi ... This is poor for the money you pay for a headphone. I'm sorry to rant, but it's just veiled and poor!

Caldera Pad is the main ticket to get muddy feeling from Verite. BE2 and Universe should be the default, and Caldera Ultra Perforated Pad would be the main choice for clarity. Back then I used Verite Open (along with Diana V2) paired with Hugo 2, and while they sound smooth, but definitely not muddy or lack of clarity (of course this term is subjective preference).

ZMF Verite Closed should sound similar to Verite Open (use same driver), but in general Verite Closed is the warmer one between them. If you think Verite Closed is "ok" while Verite Open is so muddy, then perhaps something wrong here.

Jan 6, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #9,353 of 9,521

And that's not happening with every other headphone you own? If you don't already have tinnitus that sounds a lot like what happened when I developed it. By the evening headphones would sound undefined, kind of almost crunchy sounding to the point that I started wondering if either my amp or headphones were developing a problem. Even after having it a few years now it's always worse at night or the more fatigued I am. It simply doesn't seem possible for them to sound one way in the morning and then much worse later. If any of that's a possibility I'd suggest staying off headphones and away from other loud sounds for awhile and getting your ears checked. Even phone apps which measure hearing can be quite accurate vs professional testing, so higher frequency hearing loss would be shown and tinnitus development much more likely. If you are still listening, keep things under 70db if you must.

Jan 6, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #9,354 of 9,521
And that's not happening with every other headphone you own? If you don't already have tinnitus that sounds a lot like what happened when I developed it. By the evening headphones would sound undefined, kind of almost crunchy sounding to the point that I started wondering if either my amp or headphones were developing a problem. Even after having it a few years now it's always worse at night or the more fatigued I am. It simply doesn't seem possible for them to sound one way in the morning and then much worse later. If any of that's a possibility I'd suggest staying off headphones and away from other loud sounds for awhile and getting your ears checked. Even phone apps which measure hearing can be quite accurate vs professional testing, so higher frequency hearing loss would be shown and tinnitus development much more likely. If you are still listening, keep things under 70db if you must.

Nope just with the Verite ...

The Be2 are still an unlistenable muddy mess whereas the caldera pads are a joy! Caldera pads it is and I'll just put the Be2's back in their box and forget about them.

Jan 6, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #9,355 of 9,521
The Be2 are still an unlistenable muddy mess whereas the caldera pads are a joy! Caldera pads it is and I'll just put the Be2's back in their box and forget about them.
Better yet, take some nice photos of the Be2's and list them in the classifieds.
Plenty of folks that are happy to roll "new-to-me" pads while in search of their own personal preferences :)

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #9,356 of 9,521
The suede perf Be2 pads are my favorite on the VO, after trying about 4 or 5 other pads. Universe suede perf are a close second. Regarding all the above posts about VO being a negative listening experience, this is an absolute first for me to read. These headphones are flat-out spectacular.

Jan 7, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #9,357 of 9,521
Nope just with the Verite ...

Is that caldera ultra perforated pad? (The one with full perforated inside and outside the earpad)

Jan 7, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #9,359 of 9,521
I received the Caldera Ultra Perf pads after Zach suggested them when I posted that I could use more high frequency emphasis.

Before I was using the Universal pads which had the best comfort. Now I'm happy with the Ultra Perf's comfort and high frequencies.

Jan 8, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #9,360 of 9,521
My ZMF balanced cable arrived today, so for the first time, I'm hearing my VO Camphor Burl through my new WA22. Holy s***t!! The push, low midrange, and punch are just superb. The headphones feel like they're firing on all cylinders and sound incredible.

Joojbdl.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back