ZMF Verite Open
Dec 20, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #9,301 of 9,521
Just received my Verite ultra perf pads as well as the classic Verite perf pads. Gotta say - I am completely torn between the Be2 and the classic perf pads, they both sound great!

As for the ultra perf... can't say I like them as much. Definitely lose out on a lot of bass in both quantity and quality - feels like an HD800s without the staging.

Dec 20, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #9,302 of 9,521
Is it noticably different or need extra effort to notice it?
Subtle. Unless you have two VOs in different woods right next to each other to A/B you would never notice it. Zach always says pick the wood you find most aesthetically pleasing to look at.

Dec 20, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #9,303 of 9,521
Subtle. Unless you have two VOs in different woods right next to each other to A/B you would never notice it. Zach always says pick the wood you find most aesthetically pleasing to look at.
I have read here that the open-back ZMFs are less impacted by different woods compared to closed-back.

Dec 21, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #9,305 of 9,521
Is it true that ZMF wood material produce different sound ?

For an opposing opinion, in my experience woods on opposite ends of the hardness scale will show clear differences. I can’t imagine comparing something like cherry with ironwood and not hearing each as unique. If you’re comparing woods that are closer to each other on the spectrum, the difference would be much more subtle.

Pads have more of an influence than wood, but it doesn’t change that you’re starting from a different place.

Lots of people point to the recommendation on the ZMF site to choose based on aesthetics. I don’t take that to mean there is little to no difference in sound, just that it’s difficult to predict what someone might prefer. There is certainly a difference but for most people it’s not anything worth stressing over.

Dec 21, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #9,306 of 9,521
Demoed a silkwood and bought a Ziricote cos aesthetics. Heard a silkwood again years later only to find it better match my preference. Would I buy the Ziricote again if I could start over? Probably not. Am I satisfied with what I have now? Absolutely.

The differences are obvious to me when compared side by side but marginal in the scheme of things. Fact is I only notice the difference when given the chance to compare the two years later at the comfort of my own home which is a luxury that most can't do. If you're blind buying, choose the one that matches your aesthetic sense and move on.

Dec 21, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #9,307 of 9,521
Demoed a silkwood and bought a Ziricote cos aesthetics. Heard a silkwood again years later only to find it better match my preference. Would I buy the Ziricote again if I could start over? Probably not. Am I satisfied with what I have now? Absolutely.

The differences are obvious to me when compared side by side but marginal in the scheme of things. Fact is I only notice the difference when given the chance to compare the two years later at the comfort of my own home which is a luxury that most can't do. If you're blind buying, choose the one that matches your aesthetic sense and move on.
What sound difference did you found ?

Dec 21, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #9,308 of 9,521
What sound difference did you found ?
In short the biggest difference lies in it's decay characteristics and transients. Softer wood variants like silkwood in this case do have a more sustained decay and rounder transient response which is quite delectable for my taste. This has been covered quite extensively before so a quick search will find you more comprehensive feedback on the differences in variants.

Dec 21, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #9,309 of 9,521
In short the biggest difference lies in it's decay characteristics and transients. Softer wood variants like silkwood in this case do have a more sustained decay and rounder transient response which is quite delectable for my taste. This has been covered quite extensively before so a quick search will find you more comprehensive feedback on the differences in variants.
I just know this thank you for replying.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #9,310 of 9,521
Today's surprise: Finally I found a "real" portable set up (49 gram) that match really well with Verite Open, it's Woo Audio Tube Mini.

Rather big for a dongle usb, but still really small compared to DAP or any other portable amps. It sound lush, sweet, big soundstage image (for portable device in this price range), and of course with second order harmonic distortion effect that really pleasant to listen.

Dec 21, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #9,311 of 9,521
Today's surprise: Finally I found a "real" portable set up (49 gram) that match really well with Verite Open, it's Woo Audio Tube Mini.

Rather big for a dongle usb, but still really small compared to DAP or any other portable amps. It sound lush, sweet, big soundstage image (for portable device in this price range), and of course with second order harmonic distortion effect that really pleasant to listen.
I also found Woo Tube Mini to be a great match with the VO.

Dec 22, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #9,312 of 9,521

I also found Woo Tube Mini to be a great match with the VO.
Hard to justify such small device for phone at this price :frowning2: is it great or full size amp like bottlehead / little dot is better?

Dec 23, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #9,314 of 9,521
I'm starting to think the VO (w/ BE2 lambs) is the King of all things soundtracks, classical, and even gaming immersion.
Indeed! I love my VO + Be2 lambs. Listening to them right now as I type this.

aaEaOt5.jpg

Dec 27, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #9,315 of 9,521
These just arrived today, taking only 8 days from Illinois to Victoria, Down Under......... It took me about an hour just to put them on my ugly nut and when I did.............Oh sweet Jesus.............I'm no longer an Atheist....... They are SUPER comfortable, look like the Demi-Gods of the headphone world and the sound....oh the sound........For me, these slam, they punch, soundstage is great, they are clarity/detail monsters and I can clearly differentiate where each sound is coming from. Did I mention clarity?????? Just trying first on my Sparkos Aries, then will test my 2 OTC tubes. Getting a used Bottlehead Crackatwoa next week as my first ever OTL (never needed one prior). But on the Sparkos, these may even best my beloved Hifiman HEK Stealths. They definitely have more body and fun to them than the Stealths (and I LOVE my Stealths)....... Can't fault them at all. @zach915m - thank you so much - my first foray into owning ZMFs (have tried most however) and I have been sucked into this evil cult.................:gs1000smile: :sweat_smile:

Attachments

• zmf1.jpg
    zmf1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • ZMF2.jpg
    ZMF2.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • ZMF3.jpg
    ZMF3.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back