ZMF Verite Open
Apr 30, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #8,671 of 9,535
Could you please go into a little more detail about the sound. Was it slow or fast? Deep bass? Warm or neutral? Big soundstage? Thank you.

With the big caveat that this was at a CanJam demo and with show conditions.. The EVO was setup at Upscale's desk with the Utopia, and I hustled to borrow an AC from another booth to hook up to it as I was curious about the combo and had a hunch. The TLDR is that it sounded like a classic OTL: clear, sweet, and resonant. Very pleasing dose of second order harmonics (or at least what I imagined to be) with a 3D soundstage. It was very cealn well resolving while being sweet and euphonic.

If I didn't get the new Decware/ZMF Reference OTL (which I can't recommend enough), then this would have been my next choice without a doubt.

Apr 30, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #8,672 of 9,535
Hi Rob, I just sent a PM to you. You’re welcome to stop by my place in Canton, MI if that’s within a reasonable driving distance for you. I have a lot headphone gear and about 35 years of experience putting high end systems together. Welcome to Headfi!
Thank you Steve, that is certainly most kind and an offer I will take you up on.

May 3, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #8,674 of 9,535
I agree that the VO is great with acoustic instrumental music, and those ECM jazz groups sound amazing. The groups George mentions, like the Lumineers and Mumford and Sons (acoustic guitars, yes, but with VOCALS) I prefer on my Auteur Classic. I am finding that vocals are quite recessed on the VO in comparison - at least in my set-up. I am going to have to try some different tubes to try and remedy the situation.
After some system experimentation (and helpful advice from @Pharmaboy - Thank you!) I can now confidently say that the recessed mids/vocals and treble I was experiencing with the VO were being caused by my DAC, an OG Bifrost MB. Removing that from the chain changed the sound dramatically. First I swapped in an iFi Micro iDSD (problem solved) and then tried analogue directly out of the Node 2i (using that unit's built-in DAC - and problem solved again).

So I guess I am finally hearing what the VO really sounds like for the first time! I'm sure a better DAC will improve things further. Where's my wallet?

@zach915m - Please forgive me for blaming the VO for the recessed vocals. Never suspected the DAC because somehow the Auteur Classics were sounding terrific out of the same system, most likely due to their inherently brighter nature.

May 3, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #8,675 of 9,535
After some system experimentation (and helpful advice from @Pharmaboy - Thank you!) I can now confidently say that the recessed mids/vocals and treble I was experiencing with the VO were being caused by my DAC, an OG Bifrost MB. Removing that from the chain changed the sound dramatically. First I swapped in an iFi Micro iDSD (problem solved) and then tried analogue directly out of the Node 2i (using that unit's built-in DAC - and problem solved again).

So I guess I am finally hearing what the VO really sounds like for the first time! I'm sure a better DAC will improve things further. Where's my wallet?

@zach915m - Please forgive me for blaming the VO for the recessed vocals. Never suspected the DAC because somehow the Auteur Classics were sounding terrific out of the same system, most likely due to their inherently brighter nature.
Yeah I mean - I do think/know the VO has less upper mids than auteur classic and some other headphones, it is definitely laid back in that area - but being a high impedance headphone and all that will react greatly to your chain. I definitely like slightly more aggressive sounding amps with VO to take advantage of the laid back sound with very fast transients.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 4, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #8,676 of 9,535
Yeah I mean - I do think/know the VO has less upper mids than auteur classic and some other headphones, it is definitely laid back in that area - but being a high impedance headphone and all that will react greatly to your chain. I definitely like slightly more aggressive sounding amps with VO to take advantage of the laid back sound with very fast transients.
I see (hear) what you mean about reacting greatly to my chain. With that old DAC removed, the VO is sounding like an entirely different headphone. I am loving the solidity of the instruments, the depth and texture. Excited for what they might sound like with a "good" DAC in place.

May 4, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #8,677 of 9,535
If anyone is looking for a really good ss amp for zmf Verites I’m thinking about selling my Wells Milo (with a crap ton of upgrades making it one step under the reference model.) and best thing is it’s around the $1k price point. I’m only selling due to using a First Watt J2 for my Caldera and my Stratus with everything else. Let me know if interested. Zach rocks a Milo at Canjams as well so that’s a good stamp of approval.

On another note I sold my VO as the OG seller really wanted them back. It was camphor burl but with little knots and burls in it and I prefer meatiness in my burls. (The chatoyancy was epic and the seller liked the liquid shimmer to it without all the knots.) So now I’m on the hunt for something ridiculously sweet. I will probably wait for Canjam or November.
Once I saw this post, I jumped on Smallpie’s Milo right away, thinking I would pair it with an incoming Caldera. While it was fast and crisp as hell with the Milo, I prefer dynamics, and ended up selling the Caldera’s. So I don’t really have a use for the Milo right now. If anyone is interested let me know. (I know Smallpie told me some folks were interested here so figured I’d ask here first.)

May 7, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #8,678 of 9,535
Hello, yesterday I swapped from the Universe lambs to BE2 lambs (in the VO) to listen to some classical music with them. I find more clarity in general, more detail and better instrument separation, may be losing some wide and depth in the sound stage (but not too much).

Listen to this concert with the BE2 is nice. The integration of the three solo instruments (Violin, Cello and Piano) between them and with the Orchestra is wonderful

1683490725334.png

To my preferences I think the BE2 lambs (perf) are very good for classical, in this case better than my loved Universe lambs (perf). I haven’t tried other options (suede or hybrid). For those who listen to classical with the VO, what do you think? Which are the best for classical in your opinion? Thanks!

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #8,679 of 9,535
Hello, yesterday I swapped from the Universe lambs to BE2 lambs (in the VO) to listen to some classical music with them. I find more clarity in general, more detail and better instrument separation, may be losing some wide and depth in the sound stage (but not too much).

Listen to this concert with the BE2 is nice. The integration of the three solo instruments (Violin, Cello and Piano) between them and with the Orchestra is wonderful

To my preferences I think the BE2 lambs (perf) are very good for classical, in this case better than my loved Universe lambs (perf). I haven’t tried other options (suede or hybrid). For those who listen to classical with the VO, what do you think? Which are the best for classical in your opinion? Thanks!
I quite like the Universe Suede pads for Classical music. They add good clarity and some air to the VO.

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #8,680 of 9,535
May 9, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #8,681 of 9,535
I quite like the Universe Suede pads for Classical music. They add good clarity and some air to the VO.
Ditto. I have been using primarily uni suede pads on VO. BE2, while it makes the vocals/mids more forward, it loses too much of the spacious staging effect of universe pads IMO. Uni Lambskin is slightly too perky and dark for my ears while uni suede tilts slightly neutral and opens up the staging and importantly; for me; the timbre resembles that of Aeolus (which is my preference).

BTW, have you or anyone tried Caldera pads on VO yet ? It’s supposed to make the sound even more spacious and slightly linear. May give it a go at some point.

May 9, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #8,682 of 9,535
Ditto. I have been using primarily uni suede pads on VO. BE2, while it makes the vocals/mids more forward, it loses too much of the spacious staging effect of universe pads IMO. Uni Lambskin is slightly too perky and dark for my ears while uni suede tilts slightly neutral and opens up the staging and importantly; for me; the timbre resembles that of Aeolus (which is my preference).

BTW, have you or anyone tried Caldera pads on VO yet ? It’s supposed to make the sound even more spacious and slightly linear. May give it a go at some point.
I haven't tried Caldera pads on the VO yet, but I might just have to give it a go.

May 9, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #8,683 of 9,535
Ditto. I have been using primarily uni suede pads on VO. BE2, while it makes the vocals/mids more forward, it loses too much of the spacious staging effect of universe pads IMO
Thanks for sharing! I agree the BE2 loses some sound stage. I will try to get the Suede Univ and give them a go

May I ask you about the synergie between the V281 and the VO? (I see you have both in your gear) Thanks!

May 9, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #8,684 of 9,535
I'm deep into critical Caldera listening at this time & have been for weeks (preparing to write a review). Between ~200 hrs burn-in, then cycling through 4 sets of ZMF pads, then comparing to other planars, it has pushed aside all other headhphones--including my favorite headphone ever, the silkwood VO.

I look forward so much to resuming listening to the VO. There's something special about the VO that always grabs me all over again when I return to it. The sound is like a benign, pleasing hallucination, perhaps a fever dream. I forget it when I don't hear it, but as soon as I hear it again, off I go on that VO magic carpet ride.

The VO's combination of speed, resolution, slight warmth, tonal & timbral truth, and eerie 3D-ness of every note is unique, in my experience. No other headphone quite does this, not even really great ones.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #8,685 of 9,535
I'm deep into critical Caldera listening at this time & have been for weeks (preparing to write a review). Between ~200 hrs burning, then cycling through 4 sets of ZMF pads, then comparing to other planars, it has pushed aside all other headhphones--including my favorite headphone ever, the silkwood VO.

I look forward so much to resuming listening to the VO. There's something special about the VO that always grabs me all over again when I return to it. The sound is like a benign, pleasing hallucination, perhaps a fever dream. I forget it when I don't hear it, but as soon as I hear it again, off I go on that VO magic carpet ride.

The VO's combination of speed, resolution, slight warmth, tonal & timbral truth, and eerie 3D-ness of every note is unique, in my experience. No other headphone quite does this, not even really great ones.
Wonderful words about a wonderful headphone. And a perfect description of what I also feel every day with it since I received it some weeks ago

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back