ZMF Verite Open
Apr 24, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #8,656 of 9,521
What amp are you using, if you don't mind my asking? I'm exploring options for a new OTL. I'm probably going to build it, but looking at what's out there to get ideas. 6080 is arguably a good tube to base it on for obvious reasons, but would also like to be able to roll in several others.
I’m running with a Feliks Audio Elise Mk2 OTL with a pair of NOS Mullard 6080’s and a pair of NOS Sylvania VT-231’s.

Apr 24, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #8,657 of 9,521
Hello all, I‘ve spent some weeks with my new Verite and I just wanted to share some thoughts and impressions.

After two years in this exciting “rabbit hole” and owning some headphones like Grado SR80, SR225, Focal Clears (sold), Elegia, Hifiman HE400SE (sold), Ananda and Aria (sold), I wanted to add a TOTL to my collection. Something really good around which to build a good audio chain.

The very first time I asked ZMF for the VO they told me that it had a “really musical fast and euphonic sound”. To be honest I didn’t know the meaning of euphonic and had to look for it (“pleasing or sweet sound”). And yes, this is a perfect definition of what I listen. Fast and highly detailed, but sweet and very musical sound, with a wonderful natural timbre (and weight) for the instruments.

The pads swapping is something nice, I’ve never swapped pads in any of my hp’s. It’s like having several hp’s. I’ve got the Univ and BE2 both perf lambskin. Both are great to me depending on what you want. The Univ gives a more relaxed and “euphonic” sound, with a bigger soundstage (now listening with them some jazz and loving it), while the BE2 is much faster and detailed sound, without losing too much the “3Dness”, and may be a more neutral FR (as other persons commented). Listening to something like “Mediterranean Sundance/Rio Ancho” (Paco de Lucia/Di Meola/McLaughlin), with that fast guitar notes, with the BE2 is spectacular (well, it’s spectacular with any of them 😉, just different)

My Verite’s cups are made of Burmese Padauk, that is a beautiful wood with a grain that changes depending on how the light impacts on it, it’s a kind of “shimmering”. The finish is very natural and allows to feel the wood and its imperfections (in a perfect handcraftsmanship). In terms of hardness, although it is hard wood (2,150 lbf - 9,550 N), it has large pores, so maybe it behaves like a medium-hard wood in terms of decay? In any case I love it!

Just a few words about ZMF and their fully customer-oriented philosophy. They have been very patient with me and my OCD for getting everything controlled. Every doubt, question and whatever has been always answered fast and kindly, giving a good solution. A big thanks to Zach and the ZMF team, they are great!

I add some pics. Excuse me for the “artistic” vein, I have got a new lens and have been practicing with it…

1682337383049.jpeg
1682337421513.jpeg
1682337441058.jpeg
1682337468554.jpeg
1682337598150.jpeg
Great pictures and welcome! You've ended up with a beautiful set. Your pictures do the Padauk more justice than any that I can recall. It really is an excellent wood choice for headphones with a great balance of traits overall.

Apr 24, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #8,658 of 9,521
Great pictures and welcome! You've ended up with a beautiful set. Your pictures do the Padauk more justice than any that I can recall. It really is an excellent wood choice for headphones with a great balance of traits overall.
Thanks so much!

I thought Zach did such a good job that I had to try to show it. Great that you like it!

Apr 24, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #8,659 of 9,521
Hello all, I‘ve spent some weeks with my new Verite and I just wanted to share some thoughts and impressions.

After two years in this exciting “rabbit hole” and owning some headphones like Grado SR80, SR225, Focal Clears (sold), Elegia, Hifiman HE400SE (sold), Ananda and Aria (sold), I wanted to add a TOTL to my collection. Something really good around which to build a good audio chain.

The very first time I asked ZMF for the VO they told me that it had a “really musical fast and euphonic sound”. To be honest I didn’t know the meaning of euphonic and had to look for it (“pleasing or sweet sound”). And yes, this is a perfect definition of what I listen. Fast and highly detailed, but sweet and very musical sound, with a wonderful natural timbre (and weight) for the instruments.

The pads swapping is something nice, I’ve never swapped pads in any of my hp’s. It’s like having several hp’s. I’ve got the Univ and BE2 both perf lambskin. Both are great to me depending on what you want. The Univ gives a more relaxed and “euphonic” sound, with a bigger soundstage (now listening with them some jazz and loving it), while the BE2 is much faster and detailed sound, without losing too much the “3Dness”, and may be a more neutral FR (as other persons commented). Listening to something like “Mediterranean Sundance/Rio Ancho” (Paco de Lucia/Di Meola/McLaughlin), with that fast guitar notes, with the BE2 is spectacular (well, it’s spectacular with any of them 😉, just different)

My Verite’s cups are made of Burmese Padauk, that is a beautiful wood with a grain that changes depending on how the light impacts on it, it’s a kind of “shimmering”. The finish is very natural and allows to feel the wood and its imperfections (in a perfect handcraftsmanship). In terms of hardness, although it is hard wood (2,150 lbf - 9,550 N), it has large pores, so maybe it behaves like a medium-hard wood in terms of decay? In any case I love it!

Just a few words about ZMF and their fully customer-oriented philosophy. They have been very patient with me and my OCD for getting everything controlled. Every doubt, question and whatever has been always answered fast and kindly, giving a good solution. A big thanks to Zach and the ZMF team, they are great!

I add some pics. Excuse me for the “artistic” vein, I have got a new lens and have been practicing with it…

1682337383049.jpeg
1682337421513.jpeg
1682337441058.jpeg
1682337468554.jpeg
1682337598150.jpeg

Nice!

Congrats!!

Apr 24, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #8,661 of 9,521

1682337383049.jpeg
1682337421513.jpeg
1682337441058.jpeg
1682337468554.jpeg
1682337598150.jpeg

Beautiful. They are Ltd? I love the contrasting strap colour.

Apr 24, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #8,662 of 9,521
Beautiful. They are Ltd? I love the contrasting strap colour.
Thanks!

Yes, it is Ltd, from the last February shot. I agree with you the strap in red gives it a special touch

Apr 25, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #8,663 of 9,521
Hi all, just getting into a better understanding of this ZMF VO family sound. And enjoying it immensely. I now have my first set of ZMFs. In fact, these are my first foray beyond real early Sennheiser or Stax into a real handcrafted HiFi headset.

I’ve burned about two hundred + hours of music into them and they really are becoming quite amazing. Love the overall presentation like nothing else I’ve known.

My choice was blackwood, not having the luxury to sample various woods and finishes. This choice was (perhap naïvely) made derived from my experience running a Miyajima Labs Zero mono MC cartridge and fashioning a homespun tonearm board that was made of the same African blackwood. Having really very nice results in those applications. So as far as wood choice, we will see. It’s great to hear all these voices of experience and all the useful insights. I have a lot yet to learn and experience here. But I already know in my heart of hearts (and ears!) that Zach and the team of ZMF are something very very special.

Hopefully we can get to this upcoming CanJam and perhaps get a deeper listen around and come away with a more cultured view point.

Years ago in Pleasant Ridge, Mi. (Where I lived) I attended a small CanJam get together. The people there were so nice and so into it. It was a whole different and cool expression of music reproduction. And I also heard, I believe, my first pair of closed ZMFs. And still remember how impressed I was with their musicality. I come from a local audio club SMAC that is now in its sixteenth year, though few within this fine group are into headphone listening. So here we are!

Looking into perhaps a Feliks Euforia EVO to drive my VOs and possibly my next set of ZMFs :) Any thoughts on this choice would be welcome!

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #8,664 of 9,521
Hi all, just getting into a better understanding of this ZMF VO family sound. And enjoying it immensely. I now have my first set of ZMFs. In fact, these are my first foray beyond real early Sennheiser or Stax into a real handcrafted HiFi headset.

I’ve burned about two hundred + hours of music into them and they really are becoming quite amazing. Love the overall presentation like nothing else I’ve known.

My choice was blackwood, not having the luxury to sample various woods and finishes. This choice was (perhap naïvely) made derived from my experience running a Miyajima Labs Zero mono MC cartridge and fashioning a homespun tonearm board that was made of the same African blackwood. Having really very nice results in those applications. So as far as wood choice, we will see. It’s great to hear all these voices of experience and all the useful insights. I have a lot yet to learn and experience here. But I already know in my heart of hearts (and ears!) that Zach and the team of ZMF are something very very special.

Hopefully we can get to this upcoming CanJam and perhaps get a deeper listen around and come away with a more cultured view point.

Years ago in Pleasant Ridge, Mi. (Where I lived) I attended a small CanJam get together. The people there were so nice and so into it. It was a whole different and cool expression of music reproduction. And I also heard, I believe, my first pair of closed ZMFs. And still remember how impressed I was with their musicality. I come from a local audio club SMAC that is now in its sixteenth year, though few within this fine group are into headphone listening. So here we are!

Looking into perhaps a Feliks Euforia EVO to drive my VOs and possibly my next set of ZMFs :) Any thoughts on this choice would be welcome!
Hi Rob, I just sent a PM to you. You’re welcome to stop by my place in Canton, MI if that’s within a reasonable driving distance for you. I have a lot headphone gear and about 35 years of experience putting high end systems together. Welcome to Headfi!

Apr 29, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #8,666 of 9,521
Solid pads are for closed backed headphones.
The only ZMF that deviates from this rule is the new Atrium closed, and even then those pads are only perforated on the outside, whereas the inside of the pad chamber where your ears reside remains solid

Apr 29, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #8,667 of 9,521

I tried the Euforia EVO with the AC at the recent CanJam in NYC and it was utterly magical. This amp is really, really good and sounded wonderful with that ZMF headphone, I'm pretty sure it would be as good with the VO. It is also pretty small in footprint and really very nicely built.

Apr 29, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #8,668 of 9,521
I tried the Euforia EVO with the AC at the recent CanJam in NYC and it was utterly magical. This amp is really, really good and sounded wonderful with that ZMF headphone, I'm pretty sure it would be as good with the VO. It is also pretty small in footprint and really very nicely built.
Love to hear this.
The EVO has been on my radar.
1682817899528.jpeg
My current audio kit runs a lot of the same tubes. So this could be cool.

Apr 29, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #8,669 of 9,521
Love to hear this.
The EVO has been on my radar. 1682817899528.jpegMy current audio kit runs a lot of the same tubes. So this could be cool.

Having a stash of tubes to roll in is definitely a plus..

Apr 30, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #8,670 of 9,521
Could you please go into a little more detail about the sound. Was it slow or fast? Deep bass? Warm or neutral? Big soundstage? Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back