ZMF Verite Open
Aug 7, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #7,861 of 9,521
I’ll get some more photos of the box later. It is a really nice wooden box and better constructed / nicer choice of wood than the VC I had from the Nov drop
Awesome, thanks. Yea, curious to see the difference. I was wondering if they bought it in house. When comparing the headphones to the box I have, the headphones are top notch, the box good but not on the same level. Might have cases on the same level now. Very cool.

Aug 7, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #7,865 of 9,521
I have a stock Verite and got it in a wooden box, not sure about how it is now. Maybe @zach915m could comment. This wooden box really looks nice.

The box was a $200 extra this round. Personally I thought what came was worth maybe $20 and not $200. My lid was warped and didn’t close properly. Seemed cheap.
We've had about 5 wood box makers through the years and they were of quite varied quality. The ones that used to come free with the verite and Ltd editions were made out of house and of cheaper quality. Once the pandemic started we had a lot of issues with our suppliers and we decided to start the process of bringing them in house. We do still have some back stock of our of house boxes that we will sell a la carte at some point as well as our super premium in house Sapele boxes which were the ones in the latest batch.

We did just buy a shaper and other tools and will be doing the dovetails for the next run. The in house boxes will be 200 usd and the ones we had built out of house are cherry and will be 120 usd. Eventually all the cases will be in house and we hope to add options for prenium cables and earpad boxes etc etc if we end up with enough time.

But anyways I just wanted to explain the varied quality, as with anything the box makers we worked with were of varied quality and consistency.

Fwiw the ones made out of house in cherry are dovetail and very nice as well.

There has never been a box that costed less than 20 usd worth of material, they are actually quite hard to make and take a good amount of material. I'm sorry if anyone got a box they weren't happy with.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 7, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #7,866 of 9,521
We've had about 5 wood box makers through the years and they were of quite varied quality. The ones that used to come free with the verite and Ltd editions were made out of house and of cheaper quality. Once the pandemic started we had a lot of issues with our suppliers and we decided to start the process of bringing them in house. We do still have some back stock of our of house boxes that we will sell a la carte at some point as well as our super premium in house Sapele boxes which were the ones in the latest batch.

We did just buy a shaper and other tools and will be doing the dovetails for the next run. The in house boxes will be 200 usd and the ones we had built out of house are cherry and will be 120 usd. Eventually all the cases will be in house and we hope to add options for prenium cables and earpad boxes etc etc if we end up with enough time.

But anyways I just wanted to explain the varied quality, as with anything the box makers we worked with were of varied quality and consistency.

Fwiw the ones made out of house in cherry are dovetail and very nice as well.

There has never been a box that costed less than 20 usd worth of material, they are actually quite hard to make and take a good amount of material. I'm sorry if anyone got a box they weren't happy with.
@zach915m Hi Zach. Can I order a wooden box on it's own now ?
And any updates on the Salire stands ?

Aug 7, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #7,867 of 9,521
@zach915m Hi Zach. Can I order a wooden box on it's own now ?
And any updates on the Salire stands ?
Not quite yet but we should have a la carte wood boxes available late this month or early next and then Salires hopefully on a similar timeline. As well as some b stock Salires.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 9, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #7,868 of 9,521
Long time owner of the VO here.

I’ve made several changes to my setup since I bought my VO several years ago, amongst other things switching from having a tube preamp and Burson 3XP to Ferrum Oor + Hypsos stack. Things (actually many things!) have improved but there has been one thing bugging me… After I while I realised that I’d lost a sense of space or ”air” that I had enjoyed so much with my VO’s!

One thing I really, really like with ZMF’s are/was that the sense of space it created without ruining the transients. My recurring issue with Hifimans lineup is the weird transients, it’s like they are stopped dead in their tracks - they just vanish. Things got so depressing that I decided to start looking for a replacement. I auditioned the Meze Elite (not for me) and the Audeze Lcd-5 (very much for me). The Lcd-5 is very much a clear window into the mix, albeit a bit mid-forward. And it had that sense of space I was looking for!

Back home I started thinking about selling the VO’s to finance the Lcd-5’s. I began looking at the pads I’ve collected over the years. Apart from the pads in my usual rotation (lambskin Verite, Universe and BE2) I realised that I also had some suede pads (BE2 and Universe) that I had totally forgotten about. So I tried them just for fun, the BE2 suede was still not for me but the suede Universe was very much for me. This was the sound I had been looking for all along!!!

I decided to share this story because sometimes it’s easy to go looking for the next great thing instead of working with what you have. After all these years and having the opportunity to audition many TOTL headphones I needed to remind myself that the ZMF VO is still a TOTL headphone. It’s not going anywhere :)

Aug 9, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #7,869 of 9,521
I decided to share this story because sometimes it’s easy to go looking for the next great thing instead of working with what you have. After all these years and having the opportunity to audition many TOTL headphones I needed to remind myself that the ZMF VO is still a TOTL headphone.
Some WISDOM here! ^^^

Between this point and considering the harmony between the right amp and headphone, you can really dial things in, often with what you have or with less expense and effort.

Aug 9, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #7,870 of 9,521

I’ve made several changes to my setup since I bought my VO several years ago, amongst other things switching from having a tube preamp and Burson 3XP to Ferrum Oor + Hypsos stack. Things (actually many things!) have improved but there has been one thing bugging me… After I while I realised that I’d lost a sense of space or ”air” that I had enjoyed so much with my VO’s!

One thing I really, really like with ZMF’s are/was that the sense of space it created without ruining the transients. My recurring issue with Hifimans lineup is the weird transients, it’s like they are stopped dead in their tracks - they just vanish. Things got so depressing that I decided to start looking for a replacement. I auditioned the Meze Elite (not for me) and the Audeze Lcd-5 (very much for me). The Lcd-5 is very much a clear window into the mix, albeit a bit mid-forward. And it had that sense of space I was looking for!

Back home I started thinking about selling the VO’s to finance the Lcd-5’s. I began looking at the pads I’ve collected over the years. Apart from the pads in my usual rotation (lambskin Verite, Universe and BE2) I realised that I also had some suede pads (BE2 and Universe) that I had totally forgotten about. So I tried them just for fun, the BE2 suede was still not for me but the suede Universe was very much for me. This was the sound I had been looking for all along!!!

I decided to share this story because sometimes it’s easy to go looking for the next great thing instead of working with what you have. After all these years and having the opportunity to audition many TOTL headphones I needed to remind myself that the ZMF VO is still a TOTL headphone. It’s not going anywhere :)
Thanks for sharing. To me the VO is a TOTL headphone with no equal. Each time, i put it on, it just grabs you into the music.

Am using my VO with the suede universe pad too. Before this, I’ve tried lambskin universe/BE2; the former is too dark and perky for me while the latter loses too much of holographic imaging. The suede universe pad tilt the sound slightly more neutral and is overall smoother for extensive listening.

For those who also has an Aeolus would know that suede universe is the preferred pad for majority of Aeolus owners. Zach did share some time ago that suede universe pad on VO has same timbre as the Aeolus while the BE2 shares the same FR.

Yes, my VO is not going anywhere too.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #7,872 of 9,521
How can you tell the dog difference between the aluminum and magnesium chassis? I have a used VO and can’t figure out which one it is. @zach915m
Send us an email with a picture of a close up. Otherwise, aluminum is anodized, and typically has that anodized sheen to it, magnesium is finished, and not anodized so it has a flatter look.

Aug 10, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #7,873 of 9,521

You remind me a bit of my story: Had VO, sold it to fund LCD-5, sold LCD-5, bought back the VO.

Aug 12, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #7,874 of 9,521
You remind me a bit of my story: Had VO, sold it to fund LCD-5, sold LCD-5, bought back the VO.
What happened, if it’s ok asking?

I’m curious because I’m still thinking about the 5’s.

Aug 12, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #7,875 of 9,521
What happened, if it’s ok asking?

I’m curious because I’m still thinking about the 5’s.

Long story short, my tandem headphones were Abyss Diana phi and ZMF Verite. LCD-5's release made me thought to sell Diana and changed to LCD-5, however, Meze Elite came and replace my Diana. So I started to thought go all in top of flagship and gave up on ZMF, sold the Verite and bought the "5".

Apparently the "5" couldn't matched Meze Elite in term of organic feel and enjoyment feel ( LCD-5 was too plain and narrow presentation). Then I remembered that actually ZMF Verite never gave me any problem in term of sound, it was just my "lust" that made me sold them and changed to LCD-5. So I went back to Verite (with different type of wood though).

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back