ZMF Verite Open
Jan 6, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #5,762 of 9,535
The burl base is just wow. **looks at pendant on desk... looks way quickly..**

Jan 6, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #5,763 of 9,535
always a good day when you get an email update from ZMF..!
knowing you're one step closer to receiving a new set of headphones in the mail is so exciting!
the pics from @MRphotography are droolworthy and i cant wait to see how my own turn out!

Jan 9, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #5,764 of 9,535
I got my Verite Closed paired with my Woo WA8 Eclipse and I really enjoy this combination. I’m just wondering if paired with a higher impedance amp (OTL / hybrid / SS) will bring a significant step-up vs my the WA8…

Anyone have some experience with both the WA8 and some high impedance amps?

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #5,765 of 9,535
I'm doing an interesting experiment with my silkwood VO--listening to my 2 most dissimilar amps (but same DAC, tunes, etc):
  • M Stage Matrix HPA-1: my least powerful SS amp. Volume pot is at 12:00 o'clock to get the desired moderately loud volume; and
  • Violectric V281: my 2nd most powerful SS amp, and overall, my best. Volume pot is @11 o'clock to get approximately the same moderately loud volume (note the gain of headphone output is reduced by 12 dB).
This VO sounds terrific on both amps, but hardly the same on each. As nice as it sounds on the HPA-1 (where I don't feel cheated in any way)--everything gets better, richer, and more involving on the V281, with deeper, more nuanced bass; bigger, more information rich soundstage; treble that's more delicate and tonally rich; and distinctly better dynamics, top to bottom. In particular, the tremendous speed & resolution of the VO are easy to appreciate on the V281, far more than on the HPA-1.

What does this exercise accomplish? 1st, it shows I can't get the VO to sound less than terrific on any amp (this is the 7th amp I've tried); and 2nd, it shows the VO scales exactly as I would expect on a bigger, more powerful, better amp.

I'd love to hear this headphone on a really good & strong tube amp. It kills on my modest OTL (Woo WA3), but I'll bet the bigger OTL or transformer-coupled tube designs take this headphone even higher.

This V281 experience, coming on the heels of many listening sessions of VO + WA3, shows me once once again how accomplished the V281 is: this big SS design produces blacker backgrounds, better reproduction of spatial, ambient cues, and greater dimensionality of notes than any other SS I've heard. In other words, it has real finesse, beyond the big, brawny SS sonic strengths (exceptional power, bass, and dynamics) that are easy to hear with it.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #5,766 of 9,535
20210113_000433.jpg

Loving it so far ....

Jan 13, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #5,767 of 9,535
Jan 13, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #5,769 of 9,535
Jan 15, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #5,771 of 9,535
Does the Hugo 2 drive the VO well ? I use it with my HD6xx and it doesn't break a sweat. Opinions welcome...

We use a Hugo2 a lot in the shop and at headphone shows, it has no problem with volume and output, sound sgreat too. The tonality is all subjective but I like how it sounds!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jan 15, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #5,774 of 9,535
I'm doing an interesting experiment with my silkwood VO--listening to my 2 most dissimilar amps (but same DAC, tunes, etc):
  • M Stage Matrix HPA-1: my least powerful SS amp. Volume pot is at 12:00 o'clock to get the desired moderately loud volume; and
  • Violectric V281: my 2nd most powerful SS amp, and overall, my best. Volume pot is @11 o'clock to get approximately the same moderately loud volume (note the gain of headphone output is reduced by 12 dB).
This VO sounds terrific on both amps, but hardly the same on each. As nice as it sounds on the HPA-1 (where I don't feel cheated in any way)--everything gets better, richer, and more involving on the V281, with deeper, more nuanced bass; bigger, more information rich soundstage; treble that's more delicate and tonally rich; and distinctly better dynamics, top to bottom. In particular, the tremendous speed & resolution of the VO are easy to appreciate on the V281, far more than on the HPA-1.

What does this exercise accomplish? 1st, it shows I can't get the VO to sound less than terrific on any amp (this is the 7th amp I've tried); and 2nd, it shows the VO scales exactly as I would expect on a bigger, more powerful, better amp.

I'd love to hear this headphone on a really good & strong tube amp. It kills on my modest OTL (Woo WA3), but I'll bet the bigger OTL or transformer-coupled tube designs take this headphone even higher.

This V281 experience, coming on the heels of many listening sessions of VO + WA3, shows me once once again how accomplished the V281 is: this big SS design produces blacker backgrounds, better reproduction of spatial, ambient cues, and greater dimensionality of notes than any other SS I've heard. In other words, it has real finesse, beyond the big, brawny SS sonic strengths (exceptional power, bass, and dynamics) that are easy to hear with it.

Now I'm interested in firing up my V281 again. Of course, when I first read your saying it was better than your HPA-1, that wasn't my experience since I was immediately taken by my HPA-1 over the V281, but then I realized you were talking about the M Stage Matrix and in my case, my HPA-1 is the Pass Labs HPA-1. So, I'll do some listening and post my findings on an alternate V281 vs. HPA-1 comparo :o2smile:

Jan 15, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #5,775 of 9,535
Now I'm interested in firing up my V281 again. Of course, when I first read your saying it was better than your HPA-1, that wasn't my experience since I was immediately taken by my HPA-1 over the V281, but then I realized you were talking about the M Stage Matrix and in my case, my HPA-1 is the Pass Labs HPA-1. So, I'll do some listening and post my findings on an alternate V281 vs. HPA-1 comparo :o2smile:

It never occurred to me there was another HPA-1! I've heard many rave comments about the Pass amp.

Why is that amp single-ended only? Just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back