ZMF Verite Open
Feb 16, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #3,811 of 9,521
Lets start with around 400-500 USD, used market fine. Ideally SS or hybrid, will save up for a decent tube amp later down the track.

Also needs to be able to drive a 32ohm Beyer headset (DT770 basically).

Feb 16, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #3,812 of 9,521
Lets start with around 400-500 USD, used market fine. Ideally SS or hybrid, will save up for a decent tube amp later down the track.

Also needs to be able to drive a 32ohm Beyer headset (DT770 basically).
I have the Monoprice THX887 and find the volume control range to be excellent. On gain 1 (and RME DAC volume gain at 0.0db), I have lots of fine-tune adjustment possibilities. If you like the sound quality of the SP200 and want more volume control the Drop or Monoprice version will solve your problem. Assuming you can't return the SP200, and don't want a second THX amp though... the Drop CTH is pretty well regarded with the VO and in your price range, but I have no experience with it. Schiit Jotunheim will sound a little different than THX as well, and has a good feature set.

Feb 16, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #3,813 of 9,521
Yeah ok. Might look into the Monoprice and Jotunheim.

Not sure what would suit my taste best. I think for quite a while I've had warmer cans from mostly nuetral type amps.

Feb 17, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #3,814 of 9,521
Take a look at the lyr 3, plus, I've read, but have no experience with, the THX amps.

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #3,815 of 9,521
I just spent some time at can jam with the zmf auteur and verite open (with verite pads)

I don't have much experience with many full size high end TOTL headphones - so I'm curious what I should be listening for - the main thing that I did notice was the auteur was less enveloping and less intimate

What songs bring out the speed advantage of the Be drivers? What brings out the 5khz dip?

Thanks

Feb 19, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #3,817 of 9,521
Hi folks! Can anyone recommend an OTL tune amp up to $1k that works great with the Verite open. Yes tried contacting glen but I didn’t get response and I’m looking for an alternative. Thanks
He responded to me today. $800 plus postage for the entry one. Looks the goods.

Else there is a SW51 Amp being made in Russia, about $350USD plus postage, SBA swooning over it. Might be an option.

Feb 19, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #3,818 of 9,521
I just spent some time at can jam with the zmf auteur and verite open (with verite pads)

I don't have much experience with many full size high end TOTL headphones - so I'm curious what I should be listening for - the main thing that I did notice was the auteur was less enveloping and less intimate

What songs bring out the speed advantage of the Be drivers? What brings out the 5khz dip?

Thanks

There is no dip at 5k with the Verite lambskin pads to my ears, maybe the measurements you saw is for the stock Universe lambskin pads, idk I haven't used those for a long time to test if there is a dip at 5k.

The Verite coloration in a nutshell (verite lambskin + THX amp) is 2dB darkness above ~2.5k, 3k dip, 8k peak and ~12k peak. The 12k peak was not an issue so it's the only one which I did not "correct" with an EQ.

To test the 3k dip look for guitars and the upper range of vocals, they will be tamed but not off.

To test the speed listen to a good recordings of percussive instruments.

Feb 19, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #3,820 of 9,521
How long has he estimated for it?

I just have to say that this is a damn good amp for the price. You'll really have to pay 4 figures to get the performance of this amp with a wider, deeper, sound stage and extra bass.

Feb 20, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #3,822 of 9,521
Hi folks! Can anyone recommend an OTL tube amp up to $1k that works great with the Verite open. Yes tried contacting glen but I didn’t get response and I’m looking for an alternative. Thanks
I got a used Valhalla 2 with some extra tubes to hold me over until my Glenn arrives in 2-3 months. Very nice pairing!

Feb 21, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #3,823 of 9,521
for those who have owned or tried the auteur, stellia and verite:

did u prefer the auteur or verite more?

i liked the auteur alot when i demo-ed it and felt that the verite was "boring" just like the utopia despite them having alot of detail and speed

i also for some reason found the stellia to be alot more enjoyable than the utopia

currently using aeolus and would like a less laidback presentation with more speed and detail

would i be better of with auteur or verite?

some thoughts on the tuning for stellia w regards to auteur & verite would be appreciated

demo for utopia and stellia was done w feliks euforia

aeolus is driven by feliks echo at present

many thanks!

Feb 21, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #3,824 of 9,521
for those who have owned or tried the auteur, stellia and verite:

did u prefer the auteur or verite more?

i liked the auteur alot when i demo-ed it and felt that the verite was "boring" just like the utopia despite them having alot of detail and speed

i also for some reason found the stellia to be alot more enjoyable than the utopia

currently using aeolus and would like a less laidback presentation with more speed and detail

would i be better of with auteur or verite?

some thoughts on the tuning for stellia w regards to auteur & verite would be appreciated

demo for utopia and stellia was done w feliks euforia

aeolus is driven by feliks echo at present

many thanks!

I have Auteur as my only full sized headphone for a year and a half, and had long listens to Stellia and Verite at last CanJam SoCal to see if either would be an upgrade. Both have their merits but I prefer Auteur for it's incredible balance and natural tonality with just a touch of warmth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back