ZMF Verite Open
Oct 15, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #3,256 of 9,518
I’ve been looking for a summit-fi headphone to end my spending into this hobby for the time being, and the Verite happened to be one that came into my interest. A couple weeks ago I auditioned it along with several others, ZMF and not, and it stood out to me as the best of the bunch. But I ended up not getting it.

The Verite had a really sharp attack with bass and mids which sounds really good with drums. The other standout thing as well was the tactility of the whole setup, not just with sharp hits but with sustained notes. Tremolo picked guitars have a physical feeling to them like the real deal. I coined the term “presence” to describe this, and I honestly can’t think of much else that can match it.

However, I didn’t walk out of the store with a Verite for a reason. The less dealbreaking issue was the treble tonality being too warm and not having enough stick impact with cymbals. The major issue that I had with the Verite lies with the general upper midrange recession on the thing, and how it affects the technical ability of the Verite. I tried quite a few tracks with the Verite, starting out as always with Talk Talk’s After the Flood, Charles Mingus’ Solo Dancer, Yes’ Close to the Edge, Stravinsky’s Le Sacre du Printemps, and it actually did alright on them. The breaking point was Wretched Wisdom by Krallice, a track I don’t actually use very often for demoing. I originally wanted to use it to test the bass slam and tactility of the Verite (which it passed with flying colors, unsurprisingly) but the second the center panned guitar solo came in the rhythm guitars immediately faded out of focus, almost like a camera refocusing. In that instant the Verite shat the proverbial bed and fell flat on its face. I strongly suspect this to be an inverse of the IER-Z1R’s (my daily driver IEM) midrange clarity trick, with the upper midrange on the Z1R being boosted rather than recessed to provide the opposite effect of the Verite.

Now, here comes the little idea I’ve been toying with. I think it’s apparent that the Verite was impressive to me, but not quite impressive enough. The attack speed and “presence” stuck out to me as very good. It’s clear that the driver obviously has a tuning in mind and you can’t change that too much. However, it might be possible to tweak it slightly with a wood choice that aids the upper midrange a bit and a good cable. I don’t know to what extent it will work, but if has a considerable enough effect and my theory about the Verite’s technical ability being hampered by the tuning is true, it might be possible to actually “fix” the Verite and put it back in the running as a genuine consideration.

There’s also the Verite Closed variant to consider as well, which I haven’t personally heard but have seen impressions from “hollow and boxy” to “identical to if not better than the Verite Open”. Curious how the midrange will be like on that and if it might rectify my general gripe with the Verite. Any thoughts?

I too tried the verite initially and didnt like it as it was a little too dark for me. But then i figured it was the pads and amp that they were using that didnt quite do it for me.

Not saying that the Verite falls short in technicalities, but to me it still isnt on the level of the top planars/estats on a good system. If resolution and technicalities are your priority then there are other options. Think Abyss Phi TC, Susvara , Sr1a , 009/S on KG amps. But do note that they have to be well driven as well, resulting in some immense prices.

However what i do like about the Verite is its ability to play the widest variety of tracks without me having the need to change out. Since acquiring these i have just been revisiting my whole music library , even the non hi res tracks. Not only that, i use these on my computer/gaming setup on a Jotunheim to stream movies. I also use them to watch random music videos on youtube and they just work so well. Ive never been able to do this with my other 'Summit-Fi' headphones ( not that they sound terrible on low res audio, its just that they arent as engaging, oh and yes sometimes they do sound terrible on some low res stuff on youtube).

Overall, I do find the Verite coloured, but tastefully done so in such a beautiful way. To me, its the perfect sweet spot between Euphoria and Technicalities. Thus, while im in the Honeymoon phase, its my favorite can for now.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #3,257 of 9,518
I too tried the verite initially and didnt like it as it was a little too dark for me. But then i figured it was the pads and amp that they were using that didnt quite do it for me.

Not saying that the Verite falls short in technicalities, but to me it still isnt on the level of the top planars/estats on a good system. If resolution and technicalities are your priority then there are other options. Think Abyss Phi TC, Susvara , Sr1a , 009/S on KG amps. But do note that they have to be well driven as well, resulting in some immense prices.

However what i do like about the Verite is its ability to play the widest variety of tracks without me having the need to change out. Since acquiring these i have just been revisiting my whole music library , even the non hi res tracks. Not only that, i use these on my computer/gaming setup on a Jotunheim to stream movies. I also use them to watch random music videos on youtube and they just work so well. Ive never been able to do this with my other 'Summit-Fi' headphones ( not that they sound terrible on low res audio, its just that they arent as engaging, oh and yes sometimes they do sound terrible on some low res stuff on youtube).

Overall, I do find the Verite coloured, but tastefully done so in such a beautiful way. To me, its the perfect sweet spot between Euphoria and Technicalities. Thus, while im in the Honeymoon phase, its my favorite can for now.
Really my whole issue with it is that the technicalities appear to be directly hampered by its tuning, which I’m not extremely fond of to begin with. So I’m curious to see if there is some user-end way of at least reducing it, and how technical it is once all that is said and done. Of course it will probably still fall short of a 009 but most things do to begin with, and those headphones are not without their flaws.

As for the rest of the full system, I’ve been shopping around for that as well, though so far it hasn’t been as mission critical as the actual headphone. Probably won’t be an incredibly expensive setup but it will suffice for now.

Oct 15, 2019 at 2:55 AM Post #3,258 of 9,518
Hooked up my El DAC and Eddie Current ZDT Jr. played a lil bit of Destiny 2
you on PS4? Iron Banana starts tomorrow I think. I played crucible today for the first time in ages,and I didnt get wrecked too badly :wink:

I game on a 5.1 surround system,but when headphones are needed I just use my lowly Fidelio X1 and a MixAmp Pro. It works for me. I did try gaming with my Verite once on Anthem(RIP) and it was pretty damn spectacular.

Oct 15, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #3,259 of 9,518
Really my whole issue with it is that the technicalities appear to be directly hampered by its tuning, which I’m not extremely fond of to begin with. So I’m curious to see if there is some user-end way of at least reducing it, and how technical it is once all that is said and done. Of course it will probably still fall short of a 009 but most things do to begin with, and those headphones are not without their flaws.

As for the rest of the full system, I’ve been shopping around for that as well, though so far it hasn’t been as mission critical as the actual headphone. Probably won’t be an incredibly expensive setup but it will suffice for now.

It sounds like you probably tried the verite with universe lambskin pads, which are the stock pads that come on the headphone, and would likely prefer verite pads in either lambskin or suede, or even suede universe pads more, these bring a much more linear and traditional headphone response and timbre if that's what you're looking for.

It also would be worth trying to use an Amp with a slightly higher impedance if going for midrange clarity, the low impedance amps on our headphones, because they are 300 ohms can mellow the midrange in some cases.

This is not a rule ofcourse as the ECP Ravenswood and Sparkos Labs amps I have demo'd are as excellent in this area as my tube amps.

The Feliks Euforia with a brighter tube roll, like Chatham 6as7g is especially good sounding with the Verite and they should have something similar at Zeppelin and Co near you.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 15, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #3,260 of 9,518
It sounds like you probably tried the verite with universe lambskin pads, which are the stock pads that come on the headphone, and would likely prefer verite pads in either lambskin or suede, or even suede universe pads more, these bring a much more linear and traditional headphone response and timbre if that's what you're looking for.
I very well may have, I wasn’t paying attention to the pad selection which is something I forget to do too often. I might go around for round 2 to try and see if I can make it work.

Any comment on wood selection being able to somewhat tune the headphone? Or is that not really as much of a thing as I’m thinking it is?

Oct 15, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #3,261 of 9,518
I very well may have, I wasn’t paying attention to the pad selection which is something I forget to do too often. I might go around for round 2 to try and see if I can make it work.

Any comment on wood selection being able to somewhat tune the headphone? Or is that not really as much of a thing as I’m thinking it is?

There's definitely a noticeable difference in hard VS soft wood, I'd have a hard time suggesting which you'd like more though without you testing them back to back. Silk/softer woods accentuate space and decay while harder woods like cocobolo make the perceived response more even by damping better and adding speed.

I'd *think* that you'd like a harder wood better but I get this stuff wrong all the time for users tastes. But it doesn't change the frequency response.

I added some further thoughts on amping to my above post as well in edit.

Edit - V closed going to zepp and Co this week, should be there by next week if not this Friday.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 15, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #3,262 of 9,518
There's definitely a noticeable difference in hard VS soft wood, I'd have a hard time suggesting which you'd like more though without you testing them back to back. Silk/softer woods accentuate space and decay while harder woods like cocobolo make the perceived response more even by damping better and adding speed.

I'd *think* that you'd like a harder wood better but I get this stuff wrong all the time for users tastes. But it doesn't change the frequency response.

Edit - V closed going to zepp and Co this week, should be there by next week if not this Friday.
Interesting. I'll definitely keep an eye out for which wood type I prefer as well as give the Verite Closed a listen sometime soon. Thanks for the help.

Oct 15, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #3,263 of 9,518
you on PS4? Iron Banana starts tomorrow I think. I played crucible today for the first time in ages,and I didnt get wrecked too badly :wink:

I game on a 5.1 surround system,but when headphones are needed I just use my lowly Fidelio X1 and a MixAmp Pro. It works for me. I did try gaming with my Verite once on Anthem(RIP) and it was pretty damn spectacular.

I’m actually on the XB1X and PC, I also heavily utilize my Nintendo Switch lol. Anthem....had so much potential.... I just jumped back on Destiny after being away for over a year, I’m digging on the new change in direction, but man is it a time suck game, but it definitely is fun gameplay. We will see how long I last this go around, I might stick with it until Cyberpunk drops

Oct 15, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #3,264 of 9,518

I finally had the “aha!” Moment regarding wood differences, I was chatting with @Torq the other day and discussing the purple VC (Ash wood) and how I felt it sounded “cleaner” to me compared to the Monkeypod you two amazingly let me demo =) (super awesome of you, thank you again both of you). Torq pulled up the wood Janka table and went over what it meant with me and I learned a great deal. So cool! Especially now knowing I heard the difference between the two, such a cool hobby! I’m not the best at descriptive language or conveying what I’m hearing, but I’m learning and having fun doing so.

Oct 15, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #3,265 of 9,518
I finally had the “aha!” Moment regarding wood differences, I was chatting with @Torq the other day and discussing the purple VC (Ash wood) and how I felt it sounded “cleaner” to me compared to the Monkeypod you two amazingly let me demo =) (super awesome of you, thank you again both of you). Torq pulled up the wood Janka table and went over what it meant with me and I learned a great deal. So cool! Especially now knowing I heard the difference between the two, such a cool hobby! I’m not the best at descriptive language or conveying what I’m hearing, but I’m learning and having fun doing so.

Now imagine if you had a nice dense wood like Ironwood :wink: :deadhorse:

Oct 15, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #3,266 of 9,518
Learning about all the little nuances the Verite provides and enjoying it very much.
I've got about ~60hrs of burn-in including about 50% pink noise and 50% Spotify shuffle (EDM, Metal, Indie, etc).
The bass has definitely changed over the burn-in. From recessed initially (0-20hrs), to a bit strong and loose (20-40), to just recently (50+) getting to experience more of the slam that people praise the Verite for.
Listening mostly with the Verite pads and spending about equal time on the ADI-2 and ZDT Jr.
I find myself preferring the ZDT Jr over the ADI-2 thus far, although it lacks sub-bass presence and slam, due to the improvements over the somewhat 2D stage of the ADI-2 as well as the slight smoothing of the highs. I do find the highs to be a bit uneven and peaky overall with the Verite with various electronic tracks and sounds.
I do notice the recession in the upper mids, a bit more than I expected (remembered). Especially in vocals taking a bit of a backseat and sounding somewhat masked. Very noticeable in 'All that Remains - Two Weeks' vocals.
The technicalities of this headphone are phenomenal. Listening to 'Dragonforce - Through the Fire and Flames,' the Verite absolutely conquers the fast electric guitar and double bass, along with everything else. The Verite also puts on a clinic with 'Deadmau5 - My Pet Coelacanth.'
But I can also put on an older track from Queen and be impressed by how tuneful it is presented.
I find myself enjoying proportionally more songs on Spotify suggested tracks and "Made for You" playlists as the Verite delivers an wonderfully enjoyable experience.
And I positively enjoy my Verite every time I pass my desk and get a glance at the beautiful wood tones of the Cocobolo. (or when I just sit at my desk and stare at them)
I ordered the suede universe pads as I've seen FR charts that show a bit of boost in the 2-4khz range compared to the lambskin pads, plus more pads can never be a bad thing :)
Technical, Musical, and Enjoyable, definitely the adjectives I keep coming back to.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #3,267 of 9,518
Learning about all the little nuances the Verite provides and enjoying it very much.
I've got about ~60hrs of burn-in including about 50% pink noise and 50% Spotify shuffle (EDM, Metal, Indie, etc).
The bass has definitely changed over the burn-in. From recessed initially (0-20hrs), to a bit strong and loose (20-40), to just recently (50+) getting to experience more of the slam that people praise the Verite for.
Listening mostly with the Verite pads and spending about equal time on the ADI-2 and ZDT Jr.
I find myself preferring the ZDT Jr over the ADI-2 thus far, although it lacks sub-bass presence and slam, due to the improvements over the somewhat 2D stage of the ADI-2 as well as the slight smoothing of the highs. I do find the highs to be a bit uneven and peaky overall with the Verite with various electronic tracks and sounds.
I do notice the recession in the upper mids, a bit more than I expected (remembered). Especially in vocals taking a bit of a backseat and sounding somewhat masked. Very noticeable in 'All that Remains - Two Weeks' vocals.
The technicalities of this headphone are phenomenal. Listening to 'Dragonforce - Through the Fire and Flames,' the Verite absolutely conquers the fast electric guitar and double bass, along with everything else. The Verite also puts on a clinic with 'Deadmau5 - My Pet Coelacanth.'
But I can also put on an older track from Queen and be impressed by how tuneful it is presented.
I find myself enjoying proportionally more songs on Spotify suggested tracks and "Made for You" playlists as the Verite delivers an wonderfully enjoyable experience.
And I positively enjoy my Verite every time I pass my desk and get a glance at the beautiful wood tones of the Cocobolo. (or when I just sit at my desk and stare at them)
I ordered the suede universe pads as I've seen FR charts that show a bit of boost in the 2-4khz range compared to the lambskin pads, plus more pads can never be a bad thing :)
Technical, Musical, and Enjoyable, definitely the adjectives I keep coming back to.

I think you will enjoy the suede universe pads, and they are epic-ly comfy too!

Oct 15, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #3,268 of 9,518
Hooked up my El DAC and Eddie Current ZDT Jr. played a lil bit of Destiny 2 with that combo and the Aeolus and Verite Open, VO was excellent easily picked up sound cues and it had a nice engaging sound profile, it actually reminded me of the HD800 but more engaging and better detail, imaging but not as wide of a stage. The Aeolus was also excellent but gave for, me, a more cinematic experience, while still having excellent imaging and detail, stage was also good but not as wide as the HD800. Hope that helps =) might throw the VC on here in a bit after the daughter goes to sleep.
Nice! Still have yet to try Destiny 2 since shadow keep came out but I definitely plan on diving in sometime soon! I'm pretty sold on the Verite, now to find a great Dac/Amp combo because I don't think my Val2/modi multibit will suffice.

Oct 16, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #3,269 of 9,518
The technicalities of this headphone are phenomenal. Listening to 'Dragonforce - Through the Fire and Flames,' the Verite absolutely conquers the fast electric guitar and double bass, along with everything else.
I find myself enjoying proportionally more songs on Spotify suggested tracks and "Made for You" playlists as the Verite delivers an enjoyably musical presentation.
I noticed you used to own the Ether 2. How does the Verite compare to it, especially the bass?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back