ZMF Verite Open
Apr 21, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #1,801 of 9,535
DNA prototype amp??? :astonished:

I'll guess I'll just have to survive with my Stratus for the meantime. Rumor has it there might be a Verite here soon. Allegedly.

haha don't quote me on it; I could have totally misread the emails LOL but if it's true, I'll definitely share my impressions here!

Apr 22, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #1,803 of 9,535
@zach915m I heard great things about DNA so I'm super excited to try! I think he said the demo unit of his Stratus is under repair right now so he's letting me try one of his new prototype amp that he thinks I will like :)

Ooh, a new DNA amp. I wonder if this is the Sonnet 3 that he's alluded to (somewhere on some forum; don't ask me for attribution!).

You'll love the DNA, whichever one it is. I'm pretty sure I have the most-recently birthed Stratus -- #0072. What I notice most of all from the Stratus is super-high engagement factor, a musical sweetness but with fast transients, clarity and resolve and none of the "syrupy" down side and excess warmth. Plenty of "Wow, what did I just hear? That was just too beautiful" moments too, which is what I look for in gear. It's a great pairing with the Verite. Long weekend so I played everything from Zeppelin, to Bach, to Daniel Avery and Billie Eilish. Haven't found a genre yet where they don't work well. Check out Dire Straits' Iron Hand from their On Every Street album for some of those wow moments. I think I played that track like 10 times last few days.

Apr 22, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #1,804 of 9,535
Ooh, a new DNA amp. I wonder if this is the Sonnet 3 that he's alluded to (somewhere on some forum; don't ask me for attribution!).

You'll love the DNA, whichever one it is. I'm pretty sure I have the most-recently birthed Stratus -- #0072. What I notice most of all from the Stratus is super-high engagement factor, a musical sweetness but with fast transients, clarity and resolve and none of the "syrupy" down side and excess warmth. Plenty of "Wow, what did I just hear? That was just too beautiful" moments too, which is what I look for in gear. It's a great pairing with the Verite. Long weekend so I played everything from Zeppelin, to Bach, to Daniel Avery and Billie Eilish. Haven't found a genre yet where they don't work well. Check out Dire Straits' Iron Hand from their On Every Street album for some of those wow moments. I think I played that track like 10 times last few days.

awesome! thank you for your input, I'm super excited to hear :)

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #1,807 of 9,535
I am now number 11.

Apr 22, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #1,808 of 9,535
Not sure we will launch them "officially" as I hate to confuse people with too many pads. But we are making a bunch of them and will have them around. We do have a few more sets in stock I believe.

Donald's amps are great! Lucky you live so close ahha. Stratus????

@2359glenn - I've been meaning to get your headphones out, I'm orry for the long wait man, I'll be sending them this week - I promise this time! Glenn's OTL was with me at Axpona, it's become a "go to" along with the Pendant and Donald's Stratus that I have.

Current tubes in Glenn's amp for those interested:

Sittard GZ34 or United 596

Amperex or Marconi 6080's

RCA 6f8g or Brimar 13d1

I'm finding the 6F8g's have great space, and staging, and a slight dryness and accentuation of speed that works well.

No rush I haven't started your Prototype amp yet. I figure you are the best guinea pig to test a new design who better to listen to it.
IT will have four E130L output tubes and the driver 6SN7-12SN7 or 25SN7 this is the same as the OTL.

Apr 22, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #1,814 of 9,535
I know a lot of you guys PM'd me about the new DNA amp so here's a direct response from Donald:

"
Hi Tommy,

This new amp has a similar topology as Stratus & Stellaris: dual triode input tube cap coupled to triode output tubes which are transformer coupled to the headphones. It uses different tubes from the Stratus/Stellaris and is not a Sonett 3.

Best,
Donald
"

I hope this answers your questions! I know this is a Verite thread so I'll hold off on more info until I try it with my Verite (with pics if Donald allows it)

Happy Monday Everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back