ZMF Verite Open
Oct 19, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #181 of 9,521
Sorry, English is my first language, but what does that word...need...mean?

So far I haven't read anything to suggest that I need to upgrade to the Ether 2. And, honestly, I keep playing the 'which should I keep' game with the HEK and the Ether. Same with my amps, and with my DACs :)

As far as Verite vs Utopia, that's certainly the big question. What got me was what Zach said here about pure BE driver vs the PEN driver with vapor-deposited BE resonated with me.

Apology maybe I used too strong word.... English not my first language... My thinking is the Verite has to have complete different sound signature to Auteur for existing owners to switch or add on to collection...

Oct 19, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #182 of 9,521
As far as Verite vs Utopia, that's certainly the big question.
My personal experience / taste:
I could never understood the Utopia hype. Never liked them personally.
The Verite (to me) sound just great. Compared to the dry Utopia - the Verite has soul :)

Oct 19, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #183 of 9,521
Apology maybe I used too strong word.... English not my first language... My thinking is the Verite has to have complete different sound signature to Auteur for existing owners to switch or add on to collection...
Sorry back at you. That was my attempt to be funny -- humor rarely translates well. The underlying point is that if I only bought gear that I needed, I would have a MUCH smaller gear rack and a MUCH fatter wallet.
The Verite (to me) sound just great. Compared to the dry Utopia - the Verite has soul :)
I'm not quite there. I do like my Utopia, but ever since I got them I've been playing with other parts of my chain to try to fix the bit of sharp/bright/metallic/whatever...character they bring. I've actually been enjoying them a lot more since I swapped the stock pads for the MassDrop Elex pads. That helped more than changing cables, or going from a Sabre DAC to R2R or switching to a warmer amp. I had tried the Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin pads, but they were a non-starter. Besides helping with the sharpness, they also dulled down the Utopia to the point where it no longer seemed special.

I will say that if I had gotten the Auteur first, I probably wouldn't have jumped on the Adorama 'open-box' Utopia deal, although @ $2300, they would have been hard to resist.

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #184 of 9,521
I guess once you drop the term "Be driver" that comparisons to the Utopia is inevitable. Kind of stupid to do that though (especially if you haven't heard the Verite yet) as the Verite didn't sound anything like the Utopia when I heard them at RMAF. Utopia is overrated AF, but people need to justify their $4000 headphones I guess. Not that $2400 for the Verite is a small amount either, but at least they sound good.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #185 of 9,521
Sorry back at you. That was my attempt to be funny -- humor rarely translates well. The underlying point is that if I only bought gear that I needed, I would have a MUCH smaller gear rack and a MUCH fatter wallet.

lol..... guess US ain't always on same page as Aussie.... Aussie Asian btw..... tell me about it.... i'm on similar roadmap as yours.... the Auteur is heading my way, will post some shots on that page when it arrives... aching wallet indeed

Also I'm running my Utopia with Dekoni hybrid pads.... wrong thread to talk about this

Oct 20, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #186 of 9,521
Just in case you hadn't noticed, the adjustable rods on the new Verite chassis will have flat tops and an extra notch. I personally think they look sharper than the rounded ones. The pics of the LTD Pheasantwood have them, but most of the others don't. Zach should have updated pics up soon. Also you'll have a choice between black/silver grills.

_DSC1094.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #187 of 9,521
Just in case you hadn't noticed, the adjustable rods on the new Verite chassis will have flat tops and an extra notch. I personally think they look sharper than the rounded ones. The pics of the LTD Pheasantwood have them, but most of the others don't. Zach should have updated pics up soon. Also you'll have a choice between black/silver grills.

Excellent! Silver contrast nicely with a lot of dark woods

Oct 20, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #189 of 9,521

Do you know if the black/silver choice is for both the pheasantwood and the standard silkwood or is it only for the limitied one? I can imagine the silver grille looking really good on the silkwood too.

Oct 20, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #191 of 9,521
Do you know if the black/silver choice is for both the pheasantwood and the standard silkwood or is it only for the limitied one? I can imagine the silver grille looking really good on the silkwood too.

Should be available for both, although I can't say with 100% certainty. Zach is usually pretty accommodating in terms of custom tailoring your new headphones if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back