ZMF Verite Open
Jul 26, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #8,836 of 9,561
By "Caldera ultra perf" pads, do you mean the stock Caldera pads?

If so, I have them & am not using them on the Caldera. My favorite pads for that are the lambskin thicks.
The Lambskin Ultra Perforated Caldera pads are different from the stock pads. They’re fully perforated.

Jul 26, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #8,837 of 9,561
I bought a pair of the ultra perfs a couple weeks ago, but I haven't tried them yet.
All of the headphones I have that they would work on currently sound good as is.

Eventually I will get around to it

Jul 26, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #8,838 of 9,561
Re fully perforated Lambskin ultra perf -- I'm just kidding myself that I would put these on the VO. I love the sound w/the stock VO pad to the point that I can't imagine swapping pads.

(file under "best possible problem to have")

Will do some listening to the VO on the Icon Audio HP8 TC-tube amp (one of my favorite combinations).

Jul 26, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #8,839 of 9,561
I bought a pair of the ultra perfs a couple weeks ago, but I haven't tried them yet.
All of the headphones I have that they would work on currently sound good as is.

Eventually I will get around to it

I’ve put these on the AO (which had the stock universe lamb I love) and was blown away. It was on my to-test list for CanJam Chicago. Got one to go home, and it’s been blowing my mind.

now I’ll have to try them on the VO. But travels ahead so that won’t be for a while…

Jul 27, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #8,840 of 9,561
Re fully perforated Lambskin ultra perf -- I'm just kidding myself that I would put these on the VO. I love the sound w/the stock VO pad to the point that I can't imagine swapping pads.

(file under "best possible problem to have")

Will do some listening to the VO on the Icon Audio HP8 TC-tube amp (one of my favorite combinations).
I know u. :)

The Uniperfs are quite special.
Have them mounted on my Era-1 and like these pads even more.
The comfort is in another tier compared to the og pads of the Quad. Like resting my head on a soft pillow.
So the sound quality has raised a notch ( it all matters for a great listening experience, doesn't it? ) :)

While I enjoy the Uniperf on the Era-1, VO is equipped with Caldera Ultra Perf.
What I like about is even more room for my ears to breath. :)
Maybe the illusion of a bigger soundstage, but haven't had the time for an analytical listening session.
Sound is great, as expected, but they aren't as comfortable as the "OG VO" pads.
They're a bit stiffer bc of the smaller contact area, I think to get the pads in their intended shape.
If the time (my time) will allow me to do, i'll have a longer session with the VO and Caldera Ultrated ^^ pads.

All in all, I need another pair of Uniperfs for my VO, bc the pair I have now belongs to the Quad forever. :sweat_smile:

Aug 3, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #8,841 of 9,561
Hearing my silkwood VO for the first time with my newest toy, a Wells Audio Milo. I've heard three planars on this amp but was a little hesitant to try a non-planar on it...the amp has so much gain, even with 2 attenuation methods in use.

I needn't have worried. The VO sounds amazing on the Milo. It makes it so easy to hear how resolving and musical the Milo is.

The VO sounds wonderful on every just about every amp I try it on; the common thread is the VO sounds wonderful, period. It's a sonic magic carpet ride, every time.

Aug 3, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #8,842 of 9,561
Hearing my silkwood VO for the first time with my newest toy, a Wells Audio Milo. I've heard three planars on this amp but was a little hesitant to try a non-planar on it...the amp has so much gain, even with 2 attenuation methods in use.

I needn't have worried. The VO sounds amazing on the Milo. It makes it so easy to hear how resolving and musical the Milo is.

The VO sounds wonderful on every just about every amp I try it on; the common thread is the VO sounds wonderful, period. It's a sonic magic carpet ride, every time.
congrats on your Milo! I know you've been looking for a long time for just the right one.

Aug 3, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #8,843 of 9,561

The VO sounds wonderful on every just about every amp I try it on; the common thread is the VO sounds wonderful, period. It's a sonic magic carpet ride, every time
Kinda wish I would never have sold my Milo. It was a great amp. However, I liked the OG Liquid Gold just a little more and couldn't really justify having both.

Aug 4, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #8,844 of 9,561
So, I just received new pads from Zach for my VOs. I had been using the Universe Lambskin since I got the VOs a couple of years ago.
The 2 new pairs I am trying are the Caldera Ultraperf Lambskin and the Universe Perforated Suede.

The Ultraperf was suggested by Zach as I stated I would like a bit more treble. They do indeed open up the top end for me.
I like the soundstage better as it seems to be more cohesive than the OG Universe, if that makes sense.
These are keepers.

The Suede Universe sound about the same as the Lambskin Universe, but are more comfortable to me.

I'll rotate the 2 occasionally, but will probably use the Ultraperf Caldera pads more.

Having so many choices can be unnerving, but it's awesome to be able to fine-tune sound and comfort.

Thanks ZMF!

Aug 4, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #8,845 of 9,561
Thats's what i said here in this thread pages ago, take the VO with the ultra perforated Caldera Pads and you will be happy as hell :relaxed:

Aug 4, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #8,846 of 9,561
Verite & Euforia = Audio Bliss :heart_eyes:

IMG_1536.jpeg

Aug 5, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #8,847 of 9,561
I went to my favourite Audio Cafe to demo a planar alternative that I can use with Type 45 tubes in the future, and I was thinking of the D8K PRO.....but ended up thinking about the VOs.

Its not the most detailed thing I have ever heard, but it sounds really fun. Its definitely a can that people should try out for themselves if possible.

I demoed them with an amp I am familiar with (Cayin HA-300b mk2 w stock tubes), for my next session I will bring down a pair of Elrogs and a nice pair of drivers....god help me if I love it more, because I'll buy it on the spot :)

Aug 5, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #8,848 of 9,561
Guess what? :L3000: :grin:

Aug 5, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #8,849 of 9,561
I received my Caldera Ultra-perf pads this past Monday. I was really looking forward to them based on what I've read here. For the first day, I was working and had mostly short sessions in between calls, work, etc... so I was having trouble focusing on exactly what the differences were. It was easy to hear strait away that they are quite a bit brighter, but beyond that, I needed more time for critical listening. As the week went on and I had a few longer, uninterrupted sessions, I still found it difficult to decide whether the differences added up to a notable improvement or not. I've said here before that I REALLY love the VO with stock lamb perf pads. That combo has stood up to everything that I've compared it to. Yesterday, I decided to try a few tube rolls that were quite a bit different from what I have been frequenting recently. I thought that would shake things up and help me make the call and it has really helped. I have to say that these pads seem to pull a little more detail out of certain frequency ranges, particularly the upper mids and highs. I also get what I perceive as a bit slower bass response with a tiny bit more decay I think. I suppose that is because of the larger opening in the pads. It's still tight and fairly concise, but just seems to have a bit more room or space to it. With certain tubes and music choices, the additional energy in the highs can be a bit much, but with the right tube roll, I seem to get all the benefits with little consequence. I don't think these are quite as "universal" :ksc75smile: as the stock pads, but none of the differences make them an immediate no-go. If anything, these have helped me embrace some of my tube collection that I hadn't spent much time with previously so I think they are an excellent option to switch into on occasion when just wanting to change things up. It doesn't flip the VO on it's ear in any way and so much of what I love still comes through. With all that said, I'm in no hurry to take them off, but I guess the real moment of truth will be when I switch back to the stock pads.

Aug 7, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #8,850 of 9,561
Excuse me, but I truly believe that the VO was made for Jazz. Maybe I’m completely wrong, but to my ears the Jazz sounds so good in this headphone, just with the right amount of sugar to make it delicious
I can’t imagine anything better for a Monday evening after a long workday than looking at a wonderful summer sunset, with a frozen beer at hand and listening to some Jazz in the Verite…

I put this two because I’m listening to them today, but I could put dozens, all of them sound awesome:

1691441093109.png

(take care of the great piano in this album…and the rhythm in the third song…):

1691441136366.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back