ZMF Verite Open
Nov 24, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #706 of 9,511
Yes. Laid back describes the upper midrange. Elear is laid back in its presentation. That doesn't mean that it's "mellow sounding". I did not define these terms, I'm just using the agreed-upon audio terminology.
There in lies the problem. The Elear is one of the most aggressive tunings I've heard too despite its upper midrange dip. It sprints through most of its frequency response with reckless abandon, tripping up pretty harshly in the upper mids, but then stumbling quickly back into its pace for the treble. Everything except the midrange is like a mortar at a fireworks show. Thunderous, huge, loud, & in your face. That's why the transition from mid-bass to upper mids to lower treble bothered me so much. All of that is to say that you can't boil down an entire phrase like "laid back" to just one area of the frequency response. Nothing written on these forums are gospel, and I have my reasons for disagreeing with that audio terminology. Words/phrases change over time. English is fun that way.

Nov 24, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #707 of 9,511
I thought @Blase was spot on with his inquiry as I am also perplexed. Yes, I've read the audiophile terminology and understand is a good "non exact" reference point. I think it's a great reference.

I think when you say the Verite is more laid back than the Autuer, that causes confusion. Given the Be coated driver construction and most the impressions thus far, sharper attack, quicker transients, great dynamics, this seems contrary to laid back compared to the Autuer.

Laid-back - Recessed, distant-sounding, having exaggerated depth, usually because of a dished midrange. Compare "Forward".

Is the Verite more laid back than the Autuer?

Attack/transient speed and dynamic performance have nothing to do with the tuning of the headphone. Its warmer and has a more laid-back upper mid, but Verite is more violently dynamic, fast, and rowdy/hard-rocking. It slams harder (macro dynamics) and has more texture in terms of continuous volume levels (micro dynamics). The driver resolves the initial transient more quickly so everything has more snap and realism to it.

People are having trouble because the headphone has a unique combination of attributes.

Nov 24, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #708 of 9,511
There in lies the problem. The Elear is one of the most aggressive tunings I've heard too despite its upper midrange dip. It sprints through most of its frequency response with reckless abandon, tripping up pretty harshly in the upper mids, but then stumbling quickly back into its pace for the treble. Everything except the midrange is like a mortar at a fireworks show. Thunderous, huge, loud, & in your face. That's why the transition from mid-bass to upper mids to lower treble bothered me so much. All of that is to say that you can't boil down an entire phrase like "laid back" to just one area of the frequency response. Nothing written on these forums are gospel, and I have my reasons for disagreeing with that audio terminology. Words/phrases change over time. English is fun that way.

Admittedly, I don't have a ton of head time with the Elear because hearing it once was enough for me... so I can't really give you much in the way of intelligent audio commentary there. Here's the thing though, when you have a hard dip and jump, it's always going to emphasize those surrounding frequencies, so I'm not surprised you hear it that way. Certainly that terminology pre-dates the Elear's cluster***k midrange, so you're not wrong when you point out the limitation in the language relative to that example.

Nov 24, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #709 of 9,511
Yes. Laid back describes the upper midrange. Elear is laid back in its presentation. That doesn't mean that it's "mellow sounding". I did not define these terms, I'm just using the agreed-upon audio terminology.

I think if I asked if the Elear is laid back on the Elear thread.... well, you know. Lol

Nov 24, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #710 of 9,511
Admittedly, I don't have a ton of head time with the Elear because hearing it once was enough for me... so I can't really give you much in the way of intelligent audio commentary there. Here's the thing though, when you have a hard dip and jump, it's always going to emphasize those surrounding frequencies, so I'm not surprised you hear it that way. Certainly that terminology pre-dates the Elear's cluster***k midrange, so you're not wrong when you point out the limitation in the language relative to that example.
Maybe it was the Elear that slept with the Auteur, not Utopia as the gossip magazines had it. Makes perfect sense! Also makes for a pretty unique and dynamic/laid back lovechild :wink:

Nov 24, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #711 of 9,511
The Elear was just the best example that came to mind of why that definition isn't really valid anymore. Like I said earlier I'm not trying to be a pain in the behind about it, but at least now hopefully you can see where I was coming from.

Nov 24, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #712 of 9,511
Attack/transient speed and dynamic performance have nothing to do with the tuning of the headphone.

This is false. Driver design/type, cup design, damping, ear pads ALL effect and have something to do with tuning a headphone. If this had nothing to do with tuning, we'd all be using the same exact driver and other things.

If one specific part of the Verite is laid back compared to the Auteur and that's how you define it, cool. I was just really confused on that impression. If one specific aspect of the sound is laid back, as you've said, that's just different than how I've heard the term laid back used.

Thanks for the clarification.

Nov 24, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #713 of 9,511
I don't have a ton of head time with the Elear because hearing it once was enough for me... so I can't really give you much in the way of intelligent audio commentary there
Oh, I think you gave the most intelligent commentary about the Elear anyone needs in one sentence.

Back to the Verite, as this is the Verite thread...

I'm quite impressed with how flexibly it works with little nudges in eq. Just a tad up at 3k is quite good.

Nov 24, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #714 of 9,511
I find I lean toward a dynamic driver preference as well, but there is just something about planar bass that is captivating as well. If I already had an Ori IDK if I'd switch, but I do love (and prefer overall) my Eikon as well.

From all reports, the Verite would indeed be an awesome complement to the Auteur...I haven't heard them yet, and I've only demoed the Auteur so far, but the Verite is supposed to be much faster in the transients...I'm sure I'd love that one as well!
I would've liked your post but then this (see the little red circle lol):
Picture1.png
haha

Maybe it was the Elear that slept with the Auteur, not Utopia as the gossip magazines had it. Makes perfect sense! Also makes for a pretty unique and dynamic/laid back lovechild :wink:
Must have been a rough night there with all that dynamism and slam lol:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nov 24, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #715 of 9,511
Attack/transient speed and dynamic performance have nothing to do with the tuning of the headphone. Its warmer and has a more laid-back upper mid, but Verite is more violently dynamic, fast, and rowdy/hard-rocking. It slams harder (macro dynamics) and has more texture in terms of continuous volume levels (micro dynamics). The driver resolves the initial transient more quickly so everything has more snap and realism to it.

People are having trouble because the headphone has a unique combination of attributes.

I think this is spot on. The issue is a colloquial notion of "laid back" entailing relaxed or something similar.

It makes perfect sense to describe something as both fast and laid back at the same time when using the technical terminology, even if it's colloquially contradictory.

Nov 24, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #716 of 9,511
Oh Dear...

Hansotek has more knowledge on headphones than anyone I know.

That being said, laid back is the last thing I would say about the Verite. To my ears its quite an intense way to experience music.
It is very hard for me to put what I hear into words in a way that conveys to a reader an accurate description of a given sound,but I will try.

Musical,slamming,intense,subtle,bombastic,delicate,heavy handed all at the same time.

Nov 24, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #718 of 9,511
I think this is spot on. The issue is a colloquial notion of "laid back" entailing relaxed or something similar.

It makes perfect sense to describe something as both fast and laid back at the same time when using the technical terminology, even if it's colloquially contradictory.

True. This is a great quality in a headphone. Fast and laid back. Gives you a less fatiguing experience but at the same time, you don't feel like you're missing out on the total experience.

Nov 24, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #719 of 9,511
Oh Dear...

Hansotek has more knowledge on headphones than anyone I know.

That being said, laid back is the last thing I would say about the Verite. To my ears its quite an intense way to experience music.
It is very hard for me to put what I hear into words in a way that conveys to a reader an accurate description of a given sound,but I will try.

Musical,slamming,intense,subtle,bombastic,delicate,heavy handed all at the same time.
However you try define it, seems the Verite is shaping up to be one of the most unique and important headphones we’ve seen in quite a while. Something that can’t and won’t be pigeonholed. Can’t wait to see (and hear) how it all plays out when it starts to ship.

PS. Poor Aeolus. It’s like the TV show they’ll release at the same time as the GoT finale - good, maybe even great, but no-one noticed.

Nov 24, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #720 of 9,511

It's absolutely not true that attack/detail have nothing to do with the tuning though. Zach himself said he listened to the Utopia while tuning the Verite & it was a large part of why he picked Be for the driver in the first place. Where he said this isn't allowed to be posted here, but if you PM me I can give you a source for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back