ZMF Verite Open
Nov 13, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #7,022 of 9,534
Verite1.jpg

verite2.jpg

Look what just came in the mail!

The African Blackwood looks amazing with the rose gold. I'm so impressed by its ability to change appearance based on angle, from black black to brown.

Also, I'm surprised there hasn't been much talk about the new metal-matched cable connectors! I got them on my Lektrik S and they really tie the whole thing together.

I'm blown away by the looks and sound!!
African blackwood looks amazing..to me looks like a different finish to TRU oil varnish used on Sapele wood. Perhaps some sort of lacquer applied, its super smooth and glossy. Wonder if this shows finger smudges quite easily.

Nov 13, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #7,023 of 9,534
1636855809731.png

Really spot on.. I like my VC with Auteur Pad... I can accept the soundstage for the openness...

20211112_153426.jpg

Nov 13, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #7,024 of 9,534
African blackwood looks amazing..to me looks like a different finish to TRU oil varnish used on Sapele wood. Perhaps some sort of lacquer applied, its super smooth and glossy. Wonder if this shows finger smudges quite easily.
Oh yeah, it's smudge city when you shine a bright light on it. Otherwise it looks fine in normal light.

Maybe someday I'll build a clean room that I'll suit up to enter, only my ears exposed, so these headphones are preserved forever.

Nov 13, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #7,025 of 9,534
African blackwood looks amazing..to me looks like a different finish to TRU oil varnish used on Sapele wood.
A few pages back I noted that for my Blackwood, ZMF states the finish is

pre-catalyzed water based lacquer rather than Osmo hardwax oil or Tru oil varnish.
And it's truly beautiful!

Nov 14, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #7,026 of 9,534
Just a regular Sapele Wood Verite. Certainly doesn't look like a regular headphone though, the finishing is beautiful! (I truly like it more than Sapele on Aeolus)

2021_1104_16124500.jpg
How does the Sapele compare to Silkwood in terms of sound ? Also how heavy are they in the current configuration?

Nov 14, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #7,027 of 9,534
Verite1.jpg

verite2.jpg

Look what just came in the mail!

The African Blackwood looks amazing with the rose gold. I'm so impressed by its ability to change appearance based on angle, from black black to brown.

Also, I'm surprised there hasn't been much talk about the new metal-matched cable connectors! I got them on my Lektrik S and they really tie the whole thing together.

I'm blown away by the looks and sound!!
They are gorgeous and I am thinking of ordering a pair as I already own a pair of VC. My only concern is the weight as they seem to be pretty heavy which means for short-term listening only.

Nov 14, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #7,028 of 9,534
How does the Sapele compare to Silkwood in terms of sound ? Also how heavy are they in the current configuration?
From my memory they sound rather similar. My favourite pad for them also the same, universe leather.

I didn't measure the weight though, both sapele and silk clearly lighter than African Blackwood or Camphor Burl.

Nov 14, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #7,029 of 9,534
My VO and my VC are my forever headphones. Maybe down the road I'll grab a neutral/bright planar to go along with these, I do have a few headphones I need to sell that can fund it (HD800S, Focal Clear MG, Aeolus, a backup VO), but for now need advice on pads to help these 2 compliment each other. I've been running the Universe Lambskin on the VO and Auteur Lambskin on the VC. Lately I've just been reaching for the VO unless I need isolation. I know these can only get so different, but I would like the VO to be the more technical and revealing set with my Burson Soloist, and for my VC to be laid-back and euphoric with my Quicksilver Tube Amp. Any thoughts?

Nov 14, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #7,030 of 9,534
My VO and my VC are my forever headphones. Maybe down the road I'll grab a neutral/bright planar to go along with these, I do have a few headphones I need to sell that can fund it (HD800S, Focal Clear MG, Aeolus, a backup VO), but for now need advice on pads to help these 2 compliment each other. I've been running the Universe Lambskin on the VO and Auteur Lambskin on the VC. Lately I've just been reaching for the VO unless I need isolation. I know these can only get so different, but I would like the VO to be the more technical and revealing set with my Burson Soloist, and for my VC to be laid-back and euphoric with my Quicksilver Tube Amp. Any thoughts?
Universe perf hybrid is a good alternative for the VO, as well as be2 lambskin perf. As for the VC, I swear by the auteur solid hybrids.

Nov 14, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #7,032 of 9,534
Thanks for your input! Both of those have been on my radar for the VO... Any thoughts on the BE2 Perf Hybrid for the VO?
I tried BE2 perf hybrid with VO, IMO it softened transients more than I liked. If you're looking for VO to be your more technical sounding headphone as you said above, I suspect you would want to stick with perf lambskin, whether BE2, Verite, or Universe.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #7,033 of 9,534
I actually love them a lot. Its just that the BE2, being a thinner pad than Universe, makes my ears touch the driver, so its a little uncomfortable for me. But the sound is so dynamic and punchy.

Nov 14, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #7,034 of 9,534
Nov 14, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #7,035 of 9,534

Users who are viewing this thread

Back