ZMF Verite Open
May 4, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #6,226 of 9,518
I have no intention to cause any cable drama here and just wanna hear you guys' thoughts about the subjects I raised in my post. Thanks for all your comments. I think I will give the VO a try... good thing is that the cable is Mini XLR termination, so I can share the cable (current and ones I may order in the future) with my Empy / LCD-X.

May 4, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #6,227 of 9,518
I have no intention to cause any cable drama here and just wanna hear you guys' thoughts about the subjects I raised in my post. Thanks for all your comments. I think I will give the VO a try... good thing is that the cable is Mini XLR termination, so I can share the cable (current and ones I may order in the future) with my Empy / LCD-X.

If you are in Europe, try a Forza AudioWorks cable for your ZMF. I recommend the Claire Hybrid HPC as it is 34 grams lighter than the Noir Hybrid HPC (per my measurement). I did notice a more pleasing sound, to my ears, as soon as I switched to this cable on my Sennheisers/Audeze. There, I said it, the cable made a difference.

I did not A/B my ZMF (OFC versus FAW) because the OFC was a no go because of its poor build quality. See picture below. I used it twice. Slight aside: are all ZMF OFC cables built like this, where the cable part comes out of the splitter on arrival? My only complaint of anything ZMF, otherwise everything else exceeds expectations, by a lot.

By the way FAW are also a good match because ZMF uses some French names (Vérité = truth; Auteur = author), so how can they not be a perfect match to the similarly French-named Claire and Noir? It's a synergy that creates that effect you get after a couple of glasses of "garage" French wine, the good stuff they don't have for sale.

20210504_182117.jpg

May 4, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #6,228 of 9,518
- Is there any sonic difference between Verite Open and the LTD Vérité Desert Ironwood version? If it's purely the look, I will go with the normal version

I don’t have them since I’m also looking to get a Verite soon. What I can tell from the website is that the Ironwood are 600g and the silkwood are 430g (current “normal” stock).

May 4, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #6,229 of 9,518
If you are in Europe, try a Forza AudioWorks cable for your ZMF. I recommend the Claire Hybrid HPC as it is 34 grams lighter than the Noir Hybrid HPC (per my measurement). I did notice a more pleasing sound, to my ears, as soon as I switched to this cable on my Sennheisers/Audeze. There, I said it, the cable made a difference.

I did not A/B my ZMF (OFC versus FAW) because the OFC was a no go because of its poor build quality. See picture below. I used it twice. Slight aside: are all ZMF OFC cables built like this, where the cable part comes out of the splitter on arrival? My only complaint of anything ZMF, otherwise everything else exceeds expectations, by a lot.

By the way FAW are also a good match because ZMF uses some French names (Vérité = truth; Auteur = author), so how can they not be a perfect match to the similarly French-named Claire and Noir? It's a synergy that creates that effect you get after a couple of glasses of "garage" French wine, the good stuff they don't have for sale.

20210504_182117.jpg
I live in Thailand, but I don't mind importing... hoping they ship overseas. Checked out their website and their cables are reasonably priced. Will find more information re: the sound.

I don’t have them since I’m also looking to get a Verite soon. What I can tell from the website is that the Ironwood are 600g and the silkwood are 430g (current “normal” stock).
Yeh... I say the weight after posting the thread and decided to go with the standard version. I have LCD-X and that ZMF LTD weighs around the same. This is a little bit too much for me... especially if there is alternative that sounds the same, is cheaper and lighter...

May 4, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #6,230 of 9,518
I live in Thailand, but I don't mind importing... hoping they ship overseas. Checked out their website and their cables are reasonably priced. Will find more information re: the sound.

Yeh... I say the weight after posting the thread and decided to go with the standard version. I have LCD-X and that ZMF LTD weighs around the same. This is a little bit too much for me... especially if there is alternative that sounds the same, is cheaper and lighter...
Just throwing this out there. As an owner of the Verite and an LCD 3, the headband system of ZMF is much more comfortable than Audeze. So it's not just the weight, but comfort and distribution matter as well.

May 4, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #6,231 of 9,518
Just throwing this out there. As an owner of the Verite and an LCD 3, the headband system of ZMF is much more comfortable than Audeze. So it's not just the weight, but comfort and distribution matter as well.

Although, consider this personal experience I have with various weights of headphones I used/use extensively:

1) Sennheiser 6-series - round up to 300 grams
2) ZMF Aeolus - 450 grams (Sapele, mine weighs 442g)
3) Audeze LCD-MX4 - 550 grams

The Sennheisers have a specific hard clamp. The Audeze, as you said, has a less comfortable headband system than the ZMF.

But as far as... how long would I wear this, do they absolutely feel like they weigh 300, 450, and 550 all other things aside? Yes, no matter the system, they all feel after a few hours like they weigh what I wrote above.

To put it differently, I love my ZMF at 442 grams and can wear it all day. But I know that at 500 it would get uncomfortable. Now... for those who absolutely do not care about weight, they've worn that LCD4 for hours and the neck did not start hurting after 2 hours, then the improved aesthetics or harder woods are an option with their advantages (aesthetics, denser wood, less reverb).

But there are many of us who know for a fact that the difference between 430g and 600g is the difference between usability/enjoyment and a tricky proposition.

May 4, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #6,232 of 9,518

20210504_182117.jpg

Send us a direct email (support@zmfheadphones.com) and we can definitely get you a replacement if you bought it from us. Like anything our products are subject to wear and tear - but if it arrived like this we can definitely help you. Is the cable working properly?

As usual - if anyone ever has an issue, reach out to us, we are happy to help.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 4, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #6,233 of 9,518
I did not A/B my ZMF (OFC versus FAW) because the OFC was a no go because of its poor build quality. See picture below. I used it twice. Slight aside: are all ZMF OFC cables built like this, where the cable part comes out of the splitter on arrival?
I've had several OFC cables and several others from them and have not had this problem. If it arrived like that, I would have emailed them and they would have taken care of it. I had a problem with one cable I ordered where sound began cutting out. They quickly fixed it and provided the shipping label so there was no cost to me.

May 4, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #6,234 of 9,518
I've had several OFC cables and several others from them and have not had this problem. If it arrived like that, I would have emailed them and they would have taken care of it. I had a problem with one cable I ordered where sound began cutting out. They quickly fixed it and provided the shipping label so there was no cost to me.
2nd. I've had a number of ZMF cables for many years, never a single problem. If you look around you'll find that they take care of any problems that do arise (within reason) which is one of the reasons I keep coming back.

May 4, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #6,235 of 9,518
About the amplifier, I searched "V281" in this thread and the result sounded promising (mostly positive). I'm not worried about power at all as V281 has plenty, but it's synergy that's I'm concern.
I can't speak to it personally as I've only heard it myself a handful of times, but I do know that @Pharmaboy loves the combo. It's his set that I've heard and it does sound great to my ears, but I'm sure he'll chime in now that I've tagged him...

May 4, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #6,236 of 9,518
I used to have a V281. They have transformer hum in the audio path but it's hard to hear with less sensitive headphones. It's twice as loud as the V200 since it is essentially one V200 for each channel and has two transformers.

May 4, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #6,237 of 9,518
I also will not get into a cable debate, but whether you believe cables make an audible difference or not, Zach's cables are gorgeous to look at and feel like quality. I say if you're going to go for a flagship VO, get a flagship cable to go with it (that's what I did). YOLO.

May 4, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #6,238 of 9,518
Send us a direct email (support@zmfheadphones.com) and we can definitely get you a replacement if you bought it from us. Like anything our products are subject to wear and tear - but if it arrived like this we can definitely help you. Is the cable working properly?

As usual - if anyone ever has an issue, reach out to us, we are happy to help.
Hi... what is the best way to reach ZMF?

I’m about to make a purchase and I’ve sent email to contactZMF@gmail.com about shipping/customs declaration but have not heard back from you.

May 4, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #6,239 of 9,518
I used to have a V281. They have transformer hum in the audio path but it's hard to hear with less sensitive headphones. It's twice as loud as the V200 since it is essentially one V200 for each channel and has two transformers.
I never experienced this with my set up. I’m not doubting what you heard just providing an alternate experience. My V281 is dead silent with my headphones.

May 4, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #6,240 of 9,518
I never experienced this with my set up. I’m not doubting what you heard just providing an alternate experience. My V281 is dead silent with my headphones.
Ok, I heard it with both the V281 and V200 on more sensitive headphones. I tried all the various grounding options and settings but it was determined to be a fault of the design. It's always better to have an external transformer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back