ZMF Verite Open
Nov 25, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #3,631 of 9,521
Mine sounded great driven by a Bottlehead Crack / Speedball. A bit on the warm side and I preferred the speed of the ZMF Pendant, but the BHC was certainly no slouch. I'm sure a Glenn OTL would be a nice match although I haven't heard one yet myself.
Yes, I've read and heard so much about the Glenn OTL and how it's supposed to be great with the ZMF line. I've never had a chance to hear one myself either.

My Decware CSP2 works beautifully with my Auteur, which I understand is a more neutral headphone than the Verite, so I was a bit taken back when it didn't sound as good as my iDSD Pro with the Verite.

Nov 25, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #3,633 of 9,521
Yes, I've read and heard so much about the Glenn OTL and how it's supposed to be great with the ZMF line. I've never had a chance to hear one myself either.

My Decware CSP2 works beautifully with my Auteur, which I understand is a more neutral headphone than the Verite, so I was a bit taken back when it didn't sound as good as my iDSD Pro with the Verite.

They can be a bit finicky when matching amps. Even with the GOTL, you'll find a tube roll once and a while where they just don't sound great. Not sure why the CSP2 isn't gelling with the Verite, sometimes that's the mystery (and magic) of this hobby.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #3,634 of 9,521
The staging on the Verite (with the lambskin verite pads) is excellent IMO.
Width is average (Ananda wide), the height is also average (a bit taller than the Elex) but the depth is crazy!! the deepest from a pair of headphones that I listened to (2 inches in front of my eyes and ~1.5 ft behind my head).

Are the lambskin Verite pads you prefer the 'perforated' version on the ZMF site?

Nov 25, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #3,635 of 9,521
Nov 25, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #3,636 of 9,521
Funny, because the reviews seem to suggest that OTL tube amps are well suited for the Verite.

Not all OTLs are rolled off on the top nor do the tubes, matching is the key.

Nov 25, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #3,638 of 9,521
OK! So I will get the lambskin as one 2 pairs with the VO?

The stock Verite Open pads are Verite perforated lambskin and Universe perforated lambskin. The VO needs perforated pads for it's tuning.

Nov 25, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #3,640 of 9,521
Got it!

I was under the impression that there were 3-4 (or more) versions of ZMF pads that would work on the VO's.

They're are, and if you order new you can most likely swap them in (or add them to your order). There's the unofficial "B" pads, which are in-between the Universe and Verite pads. There's also the Universe perforated suede pads which are listed on the site.

I think those are basically your choices. I think Zach made a few Verite perforated suede pads, but I never heard them.

Nov 25, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #3,641 of 9,521
They're are, and if you order new you can most likely swap them in (or add them to your order). There's the unofficial "B" pads, which are in-between the Universe and Verite pads. There's also the Universe perforated suede pads which are listed on the site.

I think those are basically your choices. I think Zach made a few Verite perforated suede pads, but I never heard them.

I will get the 2 pairs (with VO) that most folks think are the best options at any rate.

Years ago I had HifiMan 400S with several OEM HM pads as well as BrainWavz aftermarket. (SOLD)

Nighthawks with all 3 sets of pads. (given to a friend)

Ether 2 with 3 sets (SOLD)

Currently have Empy's also with 2 pairs.

VO will have 2 sets and I will see how I like OEM A vs. B. I am trying to avoid buying several more optional pads sets and settling on the the one pair that I prefer as I have done on most of the hp I have owned.

I suppose the only way I will know (for SURE) what I prefer, is to go down the ZMF rabbit hole :rabbit:that is lined with pads!!!

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #3,642 of 9,521
It's just my opinion and how I heard it. The dip in the Verite is just slightly above the core vocal range IMO. It can be noticeable at first coming from the Auteur, but after a few minutes of listening that dip becomes natural-sounding. It kind of shaves a bit off the top where vocals get a bit of extra edge and sharpness, kind of like what I'd imagine a 'dampened room' to sound like. But it's not claustrophobic or congested.

Just got the Verite Opens a few hours ago. I'm using the verite pads. I am hearing precisely what you are describing here about the upper midrange (well put!). Vocals lose a little bit more presence than I am used to, but I am hoping it improves a little bit with burn-in.

The stage width is a little better than my LCD-X at this point, but not close to the HD800S, however I have never experienced image depth of this magnitude in my life. Sounds coming from behind me? Wow. Didn't know that could happen. I am very impressed.

Nov 25, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #3,643 of 9,521
Also big shout out to ZMF/Zach for supplying both XLR and 1/4 inch cables

Nov 26, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #3,644 of 9,521
Nov 26, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #3,645 of 9,521
Just got the Verite Opens a few hours ago. I'm using the verite pads. I am hearing precisely what you are describing here about the upper midrange (well put!). Vocals lose a little bit more presence than I am used to, but I am hoping it improves a little bit with burn-in.

The stage width is a little better than my LCD-X at this point, but not close to the HD800S, however I have never experienced image depth of this magnitude in my life. Sounds coming from behind me? Wow. Didn't know that could happen. I am very impressed.
Congrats! Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on vocal presentation/performance as you get used to the cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back