ZMF Verite Open
Nov 10, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #3,496 of 9,518
I currently own both. I plan to keep both. If I have to many of anything its too many expensive cables.

Nov 10, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #3,497 of 9,518
Had both the Verite and LCD4's at same time... sold the Verites.
Verite's eq and scale very well, but could never get enough midrange and treble out of them, mainly treble. Too dark sounding for me.

I am finding the Verite Closed (VC) is hitting the spot for midrange. It is much more up close and personal for vocals than the Verite Open (VO). VO mids are somewhat distant in presentation. Still very good, just not as intimate as the VC.

VC is killing it in the subby sub bass. Happy with the treble in either the VC or VO. YMMV.

Did you EQ the VO to boost the mids/treble?

Nov 10, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #3,498 of 9,518
I currently own both. I plan to keep both. If I have to many of anything its too many expensive cables.

I bought several different kinds of ultrashort adaptors. They work a treat.

Nov 10, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #3,499 of 9,518
I'm finding with the Amperex Bugle Boys in the Mjolnir 2 it brings the treble forward quite nicely in the Verite. Not exactly LCD4 level but accentuating the air and sparkle quite nicely. Imaging is fantastic as well.

Nov 10, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #3,500 of 9,518
Did you EQ the VO to boost the mids/treble?

Yes, midrange was no problem to eq, but gave up on getting more "air and sparkle". No matter what I did- eq, pads, equipment, could never get treble to the (non-eq) level of LCD4 or Utopia, or any of my other headphones if being honest. Oh, and I tried 2 pairs of Verites (proves I really wanted to like them and hoped it was only my particular pair), and they sounded almost identical.

Still, the Verite has alot to offer and does most everything right- great sound (excellent bass, good midrange, rolled off treble imo, great soundstage), awesome build quality, comfort, and customer service is second to none.

Im sensitive to tilted or hot treble headphones and wont own them, so thats not my thing or what Im looking for.

Im no expert, please no flames, just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #3,501 of 9,518
Yes, midrange was no problem to eq, but gave up on getting more "air and sparkle". No matter what I did- eq, pads, equipment, could never get treble to the (non-eq) level of LCD4 or Utopia, or any of my other headphones if being honest. Oh, and I tried 2 pairs (proves I really wanted to like them and hoped it was only my particular pair)- but they sounded exactly the same.

Still, the Verite has alot to offer and does most everything right- great sound (excellent bass, good midrange, rolled off treble imo, great soundstage), awesome build quality, comfort, and customer service is second to none.

Im sensitive to tilted or hot treble headphones and wont own them, so thats not my thing.

Take the metal screen off. You'll get more treble.

Can add different filter material after that to tune to taste. @zach915m might be able to tell you how best to remove it safely. You don't want to strip the screws, for example.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #3,502 of 9,518
Yes, midrange was no problem to eq, but gave up on getting more "air and sparkle". No matter what I did- eq, pads, equipment, could never get treble to the (non-eq) level of LCD4 or Utopia, or any of my other headphones if being honest. Oh, and I tried 2 pairs (proves I really wanted to like them and hoped it was only my particular pair)- but they sounded exactly the same.

Im sensitive to tilted or hot treble headphones and wont own them, so thats not my thing.

The LCD 4 is one of the darkest TOTL HP's out there. That is one of the biggest complaints of it (Check the thread), other than it's weight. I have been trying to convince myself to buy one but I just can't because I remember them being too dark for me. Now with the Verite I do not have that problem, as I do not like dark headphones. Hopefully you tried them with the Verite pads for a while?

Nov 10, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #3,503 of 9,518
Take the metal screen off. You'll get more treble.

Neither pair had metal screens. I also removed fabric covering from one of the pad sets themselves. I tried everything...

The LCD 4 is one of the darkest TOTL HP's out there. Hopefully you tried them with the Verite pads for a while?

Dark sounding is not how I would describe my LCD4's. No treble roll-off, and Ive also owned 2 pairs of them- both sounding similar.

Tried the Verites with different pads and other aspects of sound changed, but treble roll off remained.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #3,504 of 9,518
Going to headphone shows and getting to hear impressions from a myriad of people listening to headphones has been extremely rewarding in not only getting to meet a lot of people that I've conversed with via email but never met in person, but also getting to hear impressions of our products in a controlled environment.

What I've found is that audio is incredibly subjective in what our personal preferences are, and that one headphone can be bright to one person and dark to another, but then the same two people with those impressions can both listen to another headphone and hear it the same way.

There's so many factors from audio chains, to anatomy, to age etc etc, that some things of why one person hears one headphone a certain way and why another person hears it differently is hard to directly quantify, even with FR graphs and all that available.

I have found that within our landscape of zmfs and pads there's a headphone in our lineup for nearly everyone and a pad for each headphone that suits one's particular tastes better than others, but I also know it can be confusing with all the choices.

In other news we got the labels in for our earpads and will be rolling those out shortly.

We also will be announcing our plans and time-line for ZMF November soon!

I'm excited!

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 10, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #3,506 of 9,518
What a good morning

20191111-071702.jpg

Nov 10, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #3,507 of 9,518
Neither pair had metal screens. I also removed fabric covering from one of the pad sets themselves. I tried everything...
I read this and was like "What? No screen?" and checked my VC. No screen. I'm so used to seeing it on another ZMF pair, I assumed there was one. My bad.

Nov 11, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #3,508 of 9,518
What I've found is that audio is incredibly subjective in what our personal preferences are, and that one headphone can be bright to one person and dark to another, but then the same two people and listen to another headphone and hear it the same way. There's so many factors from audio chains, to anatomy, to age etc etc, that some things of why one person hears one headphone a certain way and why another person hears it differently is hard to directly quantify, even with FR graphs and all that available.

True, its all subjective and there are always variables to consider when evaluating...

But I have a dozen headphones and great electronics, and every time I switched from Verite to anything else, it was like "ah, air and sparkle" is back.

This is not an attack on ZMF / Zach. They offer great products with great build quality and customer service like no other.

Im off the-

ZMF :steam_locomotive::steam_locomotive::steam_locomotive::steam_locomotive::steam_locomotive::steam_locomotive::steam_locomotive::steam_locomotive::steam_locomotive::steam_locomotive::steam_locomotive::steam_locomotive::steam_locomotive::steam_locomotive::steam_locomotive::steam_locomotive::steam_locomotive::steam_locomotive::steam_locomotive::steam_locomotive::steam_locomotive::steam_locomotive::steam_locomotive: TRAIN

PS- I wasnt kidding about the naked pair of Verite pads. If anyone wants them, just holler.

IMG_6185.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #3,509 of 9,518
@CorvetteGarage - I'm sorry we didn't get you a pair of suede verite perf pads as they are by far the brightest pads we offer for verite. If you still have the verite I can get you a pair - send me a PM, or PM me if there's any other way I can help you.

We do offer many other headphones besides the verite with different sonic attributes, but I'm glad you've got many other headphones you enjoy!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 11, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #3,510 of 9,518
Thanks for the reply Zach... you are the King of Customer Service, and a class act!

The Verites are a work of art, and crazy comfortable.

I tried different pads, sound was brighter (midrange), soundstage changed, but treble remained rolled off.

If I purchase another pair of Verites, will get with you.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back