ZMF Verite Closed vs Auteur Classic
Jan 14, 2024 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

MegaDerpBro

New Head-Fier
I'm looking at buying either an Auteur Classic or a Verite Closed, do people think the Verite is worth the extra money? I currently own the HD800 and an OTL tube amp, and want something with a bit more bass as a second headphone to complement the HD800. I know the VC is a bit bass heavier and less neutral than the original Auteur, but with better detail and dynamics, but finding comparisons to the Classic is a bit difficult as they are newer and lots of posts about the original Auteur come up in my searches. How does the Classic compare in terms of detail and slam to the VC? Does the VC merit the extra cost?

Also I wear glasses, are these headphones still comfortable when wearing glasses and does a slightly broken seal change the sound a lot? My glasses have very slim arms which fit close to my skin, but still break the seal enough to make some headphones (particularly electrostatics) sound pretty bad.

Jan 14, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #2 of 17
Interesting comparison! I can offer my impressions from currently owning an AuC and having owned a VC in the past.

Generally, I prefer the Auteur Classic for its more accurate midrange timbre and sense of spaciousness. I found the VC to sound slightly hollow and too sharp on the treble, and despite having a good stage for a closed back headphone, I really didn’t like the sense of being closed off. I much prefer the VO as a headphone.

Both the VC and the VO will give noticeably better resolution than the AuC though. Dynamics are better, tonal weight is denser and more grounded, and instrument separation is just on another level. But I found that for myself that these technicalities, while they sound great on paper, aren’t the whole story. The inviting, natural sound of the Auteur, while still having excellent slam and technical capabilities for its price range, is just something I enjoy more as a whole experience.

I’ve heard ZMF’s are fine with glasses, but I have no personal experience there.

Jan 14, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 17
The Auteur and Auteur classic are the two most neutrally tuned HPs that ZMF makes. The Classic seems to have a bit more midbass slam than the original, but it isn't night and day. Both will provide you with more impact and tactile bass response vs. your HD800. The Classic is a touch warmer and has better staging due to the ADS in place on the Classic vs. original

Obviously the VC is a closed back and it's hard to compare a closed back and open back HP. That being said, I feel the VC has more bass response and is a snappier/faster headphone than either of the Auteurs. I would give the midrange to the Auteurs.

If you really want to find a ZMF with significant bass response that will most likely have the most divergent sound vs the HD800, I would nudge you in the direction of the Atrium closed.

BTW, I've reviewed most ZMF headphones on my Youtube channel (link in signature below)

EDIT: I wear thin wire framed glasses while listening and I do not feel like i'm losing a significant amount of bass. YMMV.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 17
Can't really comment much on the Verite comparison with the Classics, but I can on the comfort. I'm very sensitive to anything touching my ears + I also wear glasses, Can confirm that the Classics are super comfortable, especially with the suede pads. I don't feel I'm loosing anything with a 'broken' seal.

The only issues I've had with comfort is with the Eikon pads, since they have a smaller ear hole.

Jan 14, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 17
Thanks for the feedback, definitely glad to hear the feedback regarding wearing glasses. I almost bought a couple of headphones in the past based on reviews before trying them and finding they sucked with glasses.

Jan 14, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 17
The Auteur and Auteur classic are the two most neutrally tuned HPs that ZMF makes. The Classic seems to have a bit more midbass slam than the original, but it isn't night and day. Both will provide you with more impact and tactile bass response vs. your HD800. The Classic is a touch warmer and has better staging due to the ADS in place on the Classic vs. original

Obviously the VC is a closed back and it's hard to compare a closed back and open back HP. That being said, I feel the VC has more bass response and is a snappier/faster headphone than either of the Auteurs. I would give the midrange to the Auteurs.

If you really want to find a ZMF with significant bass response that will most likely have the most divergent sound vs the HD800, I would nudge you in the direction of the Atrium closed.

BTW, I've reviewed most ZMF headphones on my Youtube channel (link in signature below)

EDIT: I wear thin wire framed glasses while listening and I do not feel like i'm losing a significant amount of bass. YMMV.
The Atrium is about £300 more expensive than the Verite headphones in the UK ATM, and has very little availability second hand so far. The verite is really at the top of my budget, but I could save a bit longer and go for the atrium. Do you really think it is worth going for the atrium? I'm not looking for anything crazy in terms of bass, just more slam than the HD800 for listening to some of my music (rap and trip-hop) and a little less analytical for when I want to chill out a bit and listen to my whole library.

Will give your youtube channel a look

Jan 14, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 17
AuC is very mid centric headphone. Beautiful mids but the top end lacks sparkle. However is very easy headphone to pair with any gear. VC is superior with better details and bass but needs some workaround with pairing as with wrong chain it may sound bright in upper mids and all.

A step up from Auteur classic is Atrium Open. Same mids with deeper and impactful bass and sparkle in treble.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #8 of 17
AuC is very mid centric headphone. Beautiful mids but the top end lacks sparkle. However is very easy headphone to pair with any gear. VC is superior with better details and bass but needs some workaround with pairing as with wrong chain it may sound bright in upper mids and all.

A step up from Auteur classic is Atrium Open. Same mids with deeper and impactful bass and sparkle in treble.
Do you think the Verite Closed would pair well with a Eufonika H3? It is an OTL tube amp, which from other impressions seems comparable to the higher end versions of the bottle head crack, and better than Cheap tube amps like the little dot or dark voice amps. It has a fairly high output impedance (~60 ohm) and makes my HD800 sound a little bit warmer and has a bit more soundstage than other amps I have owned (SMSL SP200 THX, Loxjie P20, also LG B&O Beoplay DAC/AMP and Hidizs AP80 for portable devices). I know eufonika amps are uncommon so you almost certainly haven't heard one, but if you have heard mid tier tube amps, and it pairs well with those I am hopeful the Eufonika will be similar

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #9 of 17
Do you really think it is worth going for the atrium?
I feel that the Atrium closed is the most different to the HD800 of all the headphones ZMF makes. Whether or not you wouild prefer it over the VC or not is hard to say.

VC is faster and snappier, with a bit more obvious detail retrieval, whereas the Atrium closed has more bass, especially in the sub bass. It has a longer decay aand therefor has a more romantic flavor to it, depending upon which wood type you choose.

The VC has a Be coated driver, and when doing a direct a/b vs Atrium closed, it comes off as having a slight metallic edge to it, making the Atrium closed sound more natural. I will stress that thee metallic flavour isn't really noticeable until a direct a/b is done.

Both stage extremely well for closed backs, but in my system the AC is slightly bigger, though many hear the stage differences differently.

Either will provide more bass, texture and girth to notes vs. HD800.

and a little less analytical for when I want to chill out a bit and listen to my whole library.
The AC is less analytical vs. VC
Do you think the Verite Closed would pair well with a Eufonika H3? I
I have no experience with that amp, but you can get more feedback in this thread.

I have owned or heard extensively every ZMF except the new Bokeh. If I could only keep 2 ZMFs, it would be the Caldera and the Atrium closed, and that's coming from someone whose fav headphone used to be the Verite closed.

TL;DR

You can't go wrong with any ZMF, and much of the decision boils down to personal preferences.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #10 of 17
I feel that the Atrium closed is the most different to the HD800 of all the headphones ZMF makes. Whether or not you wouild prefer it over the VC or not is hard to say.

VC is faster and snappier, with a bit more obvious detail retrieval, whereas the Atrium closed has more bass, especially in the sub bass. It has a longer decay aand therefor has a more romantic flavor to it, depending upon which wood type you choose.

The VC has a Be coated driver, and when doing a direct a/b vs Atrium closed, it comes off as having a slight metallic edge to it, making the Atrium closed sound more natural. I will stress that thee metallic flavour isn't really noticeable until a direct a/b is done.

Both stage extremely well for closed backs, but in my system the AC is slightly bigger, though many hear the stage differences differently.

Either will provide more bass, texture and girth to notes vs. HD800.

The AC is less analytical vs. VC

I have no experience with that amp, but you can get more feedback in this thread.

I have owned or heard extensively every ZMF except the new Bokeh. If I could only keep 2 ZMFs, it would be the Caldera and the Atrium closed, and that's coming from someone whose fav headphone used to be the Verite closed.

TL;DR

You can't go wrong with any ZMF, and much of the decision boils down to personal preferences.
Thanks for the answer to my questions. I'm leaning toward the VC I think based on the answers in this thread and a bit more reading online, as I think the trade off in terms of bass vs overall tuning and detail might be a bit much, especially given the extra expense. The VC seems like a good relative value between these ZMFs in terms of being more different to the HD800 than the Auteur but closer than the Atrium (I am reluctant to go for something extremely different, as I find it takes too long to get accustomed to switching between headphones with a huge difference in tuning), with the added benefit of the best technical performance overall. If I buy the VC do you have any particular recommendation for the earpads, or should I opt for the default options?

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #11 of 17
Thanks for the answer to my questions. I'm leaning toward the VC I think based on the answers in this thread and a bit more reading online, as I think the trade off in terms of bass vs overall tuning and detail might be a bit much, especially given the extra expense. The VC seems like a good relative value between these ZMFs in terms of being more different to the HD800 than the Auteur but closer than the Atrium (I am reluctant to go for something extremely different, as I find it takes too long to get accustomed to switching between headphones with a huge difference in tuning), with the added benefit of the best technical performance overall. If I buy the VC do you have any particular recommendation for the earpads, or should I opt for the default options?
I usually prefer the stock pads, but again you will get a thousand different opinions on that topic.

Perhaps @heliosphann can chime in. He is the resident ZMF pad guru

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #12 of 17
I usually prefer the stock pads, but again you will get a thousand different opinions on that topic.

Perhaps @heliosphann can chime in. He is the resident ZMF pad guru
It's been a while since I've heard a VC, and my pad write up was the first that I ever completed. The link to it is in my signature, hopefully it can help you out. I always recommend you get the stock pads, and then expand from there.

I've finally got a VC on the way, and will be updating my VC pad review later this year. A few of the pads weren't even available yet when I completed my original review, so I will be adding quite a few options.

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #13 of 17
Vc definitely worth its price! HD800 is ruling classic music and symphony. However, VC is a good complement to Pop music. Compared to another stiff competitor in Pop music, I think Utopia (the old version) is overrated for sure!
For comfortability, this most depends on how you adjust the hairband and buy an appropriate pad.

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #14 of 17
If you are choosing pads for VC, definitely try Be2. This would make your VC sound like the king of headphones in the 20th century, the Sony R10. It increases the details and balances the bass a bit compared to Universe

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #15 of 17
Do you think the Verite Closed would pair well with a Eufonika H3? It is an OTL tube amp, which from other impressions seems comparable to the higher end versions of the bottle head crack, and better than Cheap tube amps like the little dot or dark voice amps. It has a fairly high output impedance (~60 ohm) and makes my HD800 sound a little bit warmer and has a bit more soundstage than other amps I have owned (SMSL SP200 THX, Loxjie P20, also LG B&O Beoplay DAC/AMP and Hidizs AP80 for portable devices). I know eufonika amps are uncommon so you almost certainly haven't heard one, but if you have heard mid tier tube amps, and it pairs well with those I am hopeful the Eufonika will be similar
Well I may be in minority but somehow my VC works better with SS that I have. Killer pairing with my DSHA-3F. However on my OTL, EC ZDS, I enjoy Atrium open more then VC.
But go with VC if speed, impact is what you are looking for with bigger headstage. Lot of Pad option to alter the sound a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back