ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Feb 21, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #12,332 of 12,513
Wow I didn't expect that much depreciation... what platform do you suggest for buy/sell? How can I trust de seller? Thank you so much
Hifishark is not a bad place to look for used audio stuff

Feb 21, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #12,333 of 12,513
Wow I didn't expect that much depreciation... what platform do you suggest for buy/sell? How can I trust de seller? Thank you so much
I mainly use eBay or here. I doubt many people who've forked out for a ZMF would be out to rip someone off. Also eBay coverage is good. If it's not what you're expecting you can instigate a return, whether the seller agrees or not.

I've tried masses of headphones from eBay. I've only ever had to return a couple of pairs as sellers had not been completely honest on their listing.

Here's what I can say. Out of all the headphones I've tried (must be over 70 pairs by now) the most expensive being a Meze Elite. The Verite Closed is by far the best. The body and weight of the sound, the timber, the soundstage, the energy. It's my endgame. Plus you have so many different earpads you can use to change the sound or stage.

I've still got a few pairs I keep alongside them, things like the HD650. But the VC is sublime, it also scales well. Sounds great with the Mojo 2, but gets even better with higher end gear. I used to have new headphones arriving every few days, seeking out the next best thing. Not anymore, VC all the way.

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #12,334 of 12,513
I mainly use eBay or here. I doubt many people who've forked out for a ZMF would be out to rip someone off. Also eBay coverage is good. If it's not what you're expecting you can instigate a return, whether the seller agrees or not.

I've tried masses of headphones from eBay. I've only ever had to return a couple of pairs as sellers had not been completely honest on their listing.

Here's what I can say. Out of all the headphones I've tried (must be over 70 pairs by now) the most expensive being a Meze Elite. The Verite Closed is by far the best. The body and weight of the sound, the timber, the soundstage, the energy. It's my endgame. Plus you have so many different earpads you can use to change the sound or stage.

I've still got a few pairs I keep alongside them, things like the HD650. But the VC is sublime, it also scales well. Sounds great with the Mojo 2, but gets even better with higher end gear. I used to have new headphones arriving every few days, seeking out the next best thing. Not anymore, VC all the way.
Does that go for planars as well? I was interested in trying out the Hifimann HE1000 v2 Stealth but I already have the VC. Based on your experiences you seemed to have found your endgame in the VC. I was just wondering if I am chasing a unicorn.

Feb 21, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #12,335 of 12,513
Does that go for planars as well? I was interested in trying out the Hifimann HE1000 v2 Stealth but I already have the VC. Based on your experiences you seemed to have found your endgame in the VC. I was just wondering if I am chasing a unicorn.
I've used the Arya Stealth and HE6SE but not the HE1000 v2.

Arya was good. Nothing overly impressive when I compared them to my Fostex TH909 (incredible but very v-shaped headphone). I really don't like the earpads on Hifiman. They feel cheap and nasty. But Hifiman headphones EQ extremely well. I tend to use the Oratory1990 EQ settings. The HE6SE Oratory EQ preset was very good, but again uncomfortable earpads. I sent them back.

I was chasing a unicorn, then I finally opened the VC and my chase ended. The VC is earpad dependant though which is a positive and negative. You get lots of options, but you're also left wondering if you've got the best earpad pairing. My personal fave are the Eikon Solid Suede (so far).

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #12,336 of 12,513
As curious as I am to try the AC, I struggle to imagine liking another closed back more than the VC. It really is a goldilocks sort of headphone - the tonality/tuning is flawless for my tastes, it works for close listening, but can also be relaxing, or exciting and fun...

Incidentally, am back on the Universe Lambskins for the foreseeable. What they do in terms of imaging and layering is so damn cool - extremely involving and cinematic.

Truly a GOAT-level headphone.

Feb 23, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #12,337 of 12,513
As curious as I am to try the AC, I struggle to imagine liking another closed back more than the VC. It really is a goldilocks sort of headphone - the tonality/tuning is flawless for my tastes, it works for close listening, but can also be relaxing, or exciting and fun...

Incidentally, am back on the Universe Lambskins for the foreseeable. What they do in terms of imaging and layering is so damn cool - extremely involving and cinematic.

Truly a GOAT-level headphone.
That's how I feel too everytime I use my VC's. It can't get any better.

Feb 23, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #12,338 of 12,513
That's how I feel too everytime I use my VC's. It can't get any better.

This is how I feel, too. My VCs sound great with Aegis amplifier. But.. I have never heard the AC.

IMG_0511.jpg

I decided to build my Aegis after I watched @Monsterzero s review video.
He said we all should get an Aegis.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #12,339 of 12,513
I am glad he did not say we should all jump off a bridge... :smirk:

Joking aside, @Monsterzero knows what he is saying!

Mar 2, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #12,340 of 12,513
I just picked up a nearly new pair of VC's on ebay, finally ending my search for a new pair of closed backs that would be a long overdue upgrade to my trusty Fostex TH-X00 Mahogany. I tried 8 other sets of closed back headphones (in the 1k to 2k USD range) prior to the VC, rejecting them all for one reason or another.

So about pad options... my preowned VC came with the Universe Lambskin and Be2 Lambskin (selected by the previous owner), and I ordered the Eikon Suede pads from ZMF so far.

I strongly disliked the Be2 Lambskin pads. The Universe Lambskin pads sounded OK to me, but I thought vocals seemed too recessed using them.

I love the way the VC sounds with the Eikon Suedes, so tally one more vote for those being great pads for the VC. I am using the DMP-A6 for my DAC and I have the Geshelli Archel 3 Pro and Schiit Valhalla amps. I have the exact opposite impression of how big the vocals sound as @heliosphann, between the Universe Lambskin and Eikon Suede pads. Vocals seemed much more recessed to me with the Universe Lambskin pads than with the Eikon Suedes. Maybe it comes down to equipment and ear anatomy?

Since I have a bit of an unhealthy obsession with wanting to try as many different options as possible, I just ordered the Auteur Hybrid pads; they seem to be one of the most popular pad choices for the VC and I am very curious to try them out.

What's a good option to resell ZMF pads in the US, as I am hoping to sell the practically new Be2 Lambskin pads?

Mar 2, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #12,341 of 12,513
I just picked up a nearly new pair of VC's on ebay, finally ending my search for a new pair of closed backs that would be a long overdue upgrade to my trusty Fostex TH-X00 Mahogany. I tried 8 other sets of closed back headphones (in the 1k to 2k USD range) prior to the VC, rejecting them all for one reason or another.

So about pad options... my preowned VC came with the Universe Lambskin and Be2 Lambskin (selected by the previous owner), and I ordered the Eikon Suede pads from ZMF so far.

I strongly disliked the Be2 Lambskin pads. The Universe Lambskin pads sounded OK to me, but I thought vocals seemed too recessed using them.

I love the way the VC sounds with the Eikon Suedes, so tally one more vote for those being great pads for the VC. I am using the DMP-A6 for my DAC and I have the Geshelli Archel 3 Pro and Schiit Valhalla amps. I have the exact opposite impression of how big the vocals sound as @heliosphann, between the Universe Lambskin and Eikon Suede pads. Vocals seemed much more recessed to me with the Universe Lambskin pads than with the Eikon Suedes. Maybe it comes down to equipment and ear anatomy?

Since I have a bit of an unhealthy obsession with wanting to try as many different options as possible, I just ordered the Auteur Hybrid pads; they seem to be one of the most popular pad choices for the VC and I am very curious to try them out.

What's a good option to resell ZMF pads in the US, as I am hoping to sell the practically new Be2 Lambskin pads?

The Auteur Hybrid and the Auteur Lambskin
(Both solid) are definitely the way to go with the VC… enjoy the hybrids…they are game changers.

Mar 2, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #12,342 of 12,513
This is how I feel, too. My VCs sound great with Aegis amplifier. But.. I have never heard the AC.

IMG_0511.jpg

How hard would you say the process was? Is it even feasible for mere mortals? I have welding experience and an "OK" understanding of electrical components but very little soldering experience. Definitely a project I might wanna do if I find the time.

Mar 3, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #12,343 of 12,513
How hard would you say the process was? Is it even feasible for mere mortals? I have welding experience and an "OK" understanding of electrical components but very little soldering experience. Definitely a project I might wanna do if I find the time.

The process wasn't difficult but time consuming. I had only some soldering experience (from building mechanical computer keyboards).

Mar 3, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #12,344 of 12,513

Pads are effected by HRTF, so some users will find different results from that alone. I've noticed this seems more common in regards to Universe vs Eikon/Auteur pads (same dimensions, but different sized ear cavity), which have a significant pad angle difference. Your gear chain can also be a factor as well.

The VC was my first pad review, and not all of the pads were available when I completed it. I was planning to revisit that write-up and add some additional pads. Unfortunately, I've had hyperacusis in one of my ears over two months, and I haven't been able to listen to any headphones. :disappointed:

Mar 3, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #12,345 of 12,513
Pads are effected by HRTF, so some users will find different results from that alone. I've noticed this seems more common in regards to Universe vs Eikon/Auteur pads (same dimensions, but different sized ear cavity), which have a significant pad angle difference. Your gear chain can also be a factor as well.

The VC was my first pad review, and not all of the pads were available when I completed it. I was planning to revisit that write-up and add some additional pads. Unfortunately, I've had hyperacusis in one of my ears over two months, and I haven't been able to listen to any headphones. :disappointed:
Oh crud that's terrible...feel better soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back