ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Apr 28, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #11,746 of 12,532
Well if there was ever a time to dive in and buy a VC....https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/coll...ite-closed-selectstock?variant=43374200160419

$1999 for b-stock Blackwood is so tempting.
DOOOOO IT, ROB… DOOOOO IT…

IMG_2431.jpeg

Apr 29, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #11,747 of 12,532
DOOOOO IT, ROB… DOOOOO IT…

IMG_2431.jpeg
Speaking of Blackwood VCs...
@zach915m, in your video spotlight on the Blackwood VCs, I recall you mentioning you'd actually rock the Be2 pads with them.

Is that because the Be2 brightens up the darker tonality of the Blackwood?

I'm thinking of ordering a pair to give them a shot. Solid/leather, yeah?

Apr 29, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #11,748 of 12,532
Speaking of Blackwood VCs...
@zach915m, in your video spotlight on the Blackwood VCs, I recall you mentioning you'd actually rock the Be2 pads with them.

Is that because the Be2 brightens up the darker tonality of the Blackwood?

I'm thinking of ordering a pair to give them a shot. Solid/leather, yeah?
Yeah - I do like the Be2 pads on the verite models as well as the universe, I guess it's the one model we make where I do use the secondary pads a bit on my personal sets. Especially with the harder woods on the verite, there's still plenty of punch with Be2 pads.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 1, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #11,749 of 12,532
I have the ZMF Verite Closed.

--> Will the Atrium closed replace the Verite closed and makes the Verite... obsolete ?
Or are they booth ment to offer a different sound signature ?

Is there from ZMF a "upgrade program" from Verite-> Atrium ?

TD160-ZMF-EC445 1 close2.JPG

May 1, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #11,750 of 12,532
I have the ZMF Verite Closed.

--> Will the Atrium closed replace the Verite closed and makes the Verite... obsolete ?

Is there from ZMF a "upgrade program" from Verite-> Atrium ?

I’m a VC owner and got some listening time with the Atrium Closed at Axpona. To my ears, they present very different sonic signatures. For example, the AC has more lower bass energy compared to the VC mid bass energy. They both sound like ZMFs (great timbre, etc) so some family resemblance but I don’t consider the AC to be a replacement for the VC.

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #11,751 of 12,532
Within the ZMF lineup, the three different siblings are meant to be on equal footing, but offering different "flavors" and presentations.
So, I think most people would agree with this general hierarchy:

(Caldera == Atrium == Verite == VC == AC) > (Auteur Classic) > (Aeolus == Atticus == Eikon)
TBH, Aeolus is kind of between Auteur and Atticus/Eikon, but we're splitting hairs...

Each model will offer advantages and disadvantages over another (hey, high-end audio still has to follow the laws of physics after all).
For example, the Caldera seems to be a more transparent pair of cans than the VC, but some still prefer some aspects of the VC (more euphonic tuning, tasteful woody reverb, etc). Most would agree the Caldera is more technically proficient, but that doesn't mean someone wouldn't rank the VC as being their favorite over the Caldera, see what I mean?

All this to say, the AC is more of a lateral move from the VC, overall.
Which one you prefer will come down to personal preference (and music genres, etc).

There's a lot of hype and discussion around the AC right now -- rightfully so, Zach seems to have hit another home run -- but, that doesn't make the VC suddenly less of a headphone.

Just means you need to collect 'em all! :wink:

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #11,753 of 12,532
I’m a VC owner and got some listening time with the Atrium Closed at Axpona. To my ears, they present very different sonic signatures. For example, the AC has more lower bass energy compared to the VC mid bass energy. They both sound like ZMFs (great timbre, etc) so some family resemblance but I don’t consider the AC to be a replacement for the VC.
+1
The AC and VC sound quite different from one another. One is not necessarily "better" than the other, rather they provide different audio windows to hear our favorite tunes

May 1, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #11,757 of 12,532
Love the “audio windows” metaphor. Does that make tubes stained glass?
I'd agree, I've often mentioned coloration when describing the analog sound from tube amps.

May 3, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #11,758 of 12,532
Sadly I am going to have to sell my ZMF Verite Closed Blackwood, Cayin HA-3A and Soekris DAC2541 for financial reasons.

Does anyone have a good alternative suggested pair of headphones with a similar frequency response to the Verite Closed for under £500?

Also if anyone in the UK what's any of the items I am selling please feel free to PM me.

May 3, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #11,759 of 12,532
Sadly I am going to have to sell my ZMF Verite Closed Blackwood, Cayin HA-3A and Soekris DAC2541 for financial reasons.

Does anyone have a good alternative suggested pair of headphones with a similar frequency response to the Verite Closed for under £500?

Also if anyone in the UK what's any of the items I am selling please feel free to PM me.

Perhaps can try Hifiman Sundara Closed Back. Definitely not identical to VC, but there are similarities in sweetness, full body sound, smooth high, with clean black background, wood reverb and agile drivers.

May 3, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #11,760 of 12,532
I am very sorry to hear that you are forced to sell gear. My sympathies.

For anyone seeing this and considering a VC purchase, I will say that the VC in Blackwood is an incredible headphone in that the wood increases the speed of the reverb and decay to the point where it allows the VC to have planar-like qualities, which (to me at least) makes it even more immediate and lifelike in its reproduction.

The best part is that it retains the lovely ZMF midrange while not creating harsh treble, which can be more challenging with planars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back