ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Apr 1, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #10,096 of 12,549
Yeah, the bass quantity is definitely larger than the VCs. The VCs probably do everything else better from a technical standpoint, but the th900mk2s have amazing bass. I read that the Sapphire ones tamed the treble, but kept the bass. I've never heard the red ones. I don't know much about the pearl ones. Maybe they tuned it differently than the red, green, or blue ones? :thinking:
The reds are my absolute favorite, especially after owning the pearls (same tuning as sapphire). The pearls and sapphire have less bass then the red but bring up the mids instead and treble maybe slightly less peaky (but they seem shouty compared to the reds). The greens and red have the original tuning. I really loved my verite closed as they are a very musical headphone but they don’t do the same impact as the th900!

Apr 1, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #10,097 of 12,549
The reds are my absolute favorite, especially after owning the pearls (same tuning as sapphire). The pearls and sapphire have less bass then the red but bring up the mids instead and treble maybe slightly less peaky (but they seem shouty compared to the reds). The greens and red have the original tuning. I really loved my verite closed as they are a very musical headphone but they don’t do the same impact as the th900!
The bass on the blues are crazy, now I wonder about the reds. May have to pick me up a pair in the future :L3000:

Apr 1, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #10,098 of 12,549
So glad you got the Koa in already!

Saw your post in your personal thread as well, the VC driver is a very capable driver, it just isn't tuned to your preference of brightness. You likely will like the Atrium closed a lot more when we come out with that at some point due to your subjective preferences.

do you have anymore BE2 in suede?

Apr 2, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #10,099 of 12,549
So glad you got the Koa in already!

Saw your post in your personal thread as well, the VC driver is a very capable driver, it just isn't tuned to your preference of brightness. You likely will like the Atrium closed a lot more when we come out with that at some point due to your subjective preferences.

@zach915m Just please keep the same incredible bass in the Atrium closed as the current open version has (at least according to those who reviewed it) :)

Apr 2, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #10,101 of 12,549
Pretty nice review from CMA, I think he's only ever given such a high final score out once before. I agree with his general sentiment that the VC have such a unique quality, they need a review with this level of enthusiasm to get across their character. I don't know about you guys but my biggest suprise in trying high end headphones was in how different they can sound from one another, when all I'd read about was highs, mids and lows...And VC are about as charismatic and unique as a pair of headphones can get imo.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #10,103 of 12,549
Universe hurt my ears...BE2 lambskin are shouty and mid forward too.

Tempted to try universe suede
Try the autuer hybrids

Apr 2, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #10,105 of 12,549
Alright, I have some early impressions from having listened a bit today and yesterday (with the cans basically running nonstop since I got them, at listening volumes). I'm just amazed. Every ZMF I've gotten has raised the bar and the VC is no different! I'm sure my thoughts are nothing new to this thread, but I am just floored! These are pretty much the exact headphone I've been wanting for a long time. They have qualities I enjoy in all of my other headphones, bass texture and imaging/staging from the LCD-2F, midrange sweetness of the Aeolus, punch of the Atticus, and nice resolving treble that gives things a nice sparkle but isn't overbearing.

Signal Chain
Sources: Olasonic CD-1 CD Transport, Macbook with Apple Music Lossless
DAC: RME ADI-2 DAC FS
Amps: Headamp GS-X Mini, Quicksilver Headphone amp (tubes: 1958 Mullard EL-84, 1960 AMPEREX Holland 12AX7)
Cable: ZMF 2-strand copper

Pads
I have four sets of pads that I've been rotating: Auteur lamb and hybrid, Universe lamb, and Be2 lamb. My top two have been the Universe lambskin and Auteur lambskin (I didn't find that the hybrid did much for me and I prefer the feel of leather on my skin as a bearded individual, maybe that is why I don't notice as much of a difference).

The descriptions I've read of the pads pretty much align with my experience, the Universe sounds more tonally "right" and that's why I'm leaning towards them, but I do hear what people talk about with the Auteur pads. The Auteurs seem a bit more picky about how a song is mastered (not necessarily how "good" or "bad" IMO, I heard stuff that's compressed and sounds like crap on most gear open up on them, and some stuff that I think sounds great sound... a little flat), but on the stuff that sounds good on them they really do something special. There is something magical about how they image, and they also are a nicer fit for me (I have big ears). I just don't love what they do to vocals mainly, they sound a bit cold to me vs. the Universe pads (and my other headphones. But there is certainly something addicting about how they present music. I'm going to reevaluate in a few weeks once the burn-in process progresses, and I'm thinking with some EQ the Auteur pads might take the cake from me.

I also briefly tried the Be2 pads and while I did find that they pretty much collapsed the stage as expected (a deal breaker for me), they had some nice qualities too. I weirdly didn't find them much brighter than the Auteurs, they do emphasize some harmonics in the upper treble a bit more but they also have some big holes, and don't emphasize the lower treble as much (which I'm much more sensitive to I'm realizing). I didn't write them down but I listened to a few metal tracks that I actually really liked on these. I don't think I'd use them as my main pad but I'm glad to have them for a little flavor.

Some tracks I enjoyed listening to on these:
Better Oblivion Community Center - Chesapeake
<- I love using this one to test as Phoebe Bridgers has a fantastic, harmonically rich voice, and you can really tell if anything is being over-emphasized or missing. There's also some really beautify ethereal synth work, that also can sound harsh on peaky headphones. I found that the Universe pads suited this song (and this album in general) the best
Better Oblivion Community Center - Exception to the Rule <- similar points to the last song, also has a really cool sonically rich synth that really needs to be rendered faithfully from 20hz up to at least 10k or so to sound right. Phoebe also has some effects on her voice that can sound harsh on the wrong equipment. It sounds fantastic on the VCs.
Big Thief - Simulation Swarm <- Drums sound incredible on the Universe pads. I don't know what magic Big Thief's engineers use on their newer stuff but it sounds incredible on everything I own, and on another level on the VCs. There's are really neat distorted sound on the bass at around 2:16 that sounds really nicely textured on the VCs. Adrienne's voice is another that is hard to get right on headphones, lots of "detailed" headphones over-emphasize the harmonics and it sounds harsh, but not on the VC with the Universe pads.
Big Thief - Paul <- An older song of theirs and not as well recorded as their newer stuff, but it sounds great on the Universe pads. The bass on this track is very elevated, it feels like it's meant to sound like how an amplified bass guitar would sound at a small, intimate venue, after a few drinks. It's a lot, and on bassy headphones theres a lot of ways it can sound wrong: too much midbass = boomy muddy mess, not enough subbass = lifeless. But on the VCs it sounds just right: big and intimate but not overdone.
Radiohead - 15 Step <- idk it just sounds cool
Isis - In Fiction <- These headphones, especially with the Auteur pads, were practically made for post-metal. I like this track on both the Auteur and Universe pads, but it brings out something magical in the Auteur pads. The drums just sound really grounded in space and fill the room. The decay and sense of air is intoxicating but not overwhelming. The drummer plays a light tapping sound towards the beginning that I have never heard so distinctly, and every percussion sounds like it's happening in a space.
Lamb of God - Laid to Rest <- super tight metal track, kick drum is punchy but clean on both the Universe pads and the Auteur pads. Punchier and smoother on Universe, more spacious on Auteur (I'm just repeating myself at this point). I can enjoy this on both but the Universe pads make me bang my head while the Auteur pads envelope me and make me feel in the space.
Xibalba - Soledad <- sludgey, big, brutal sound on the Universe pads. The VC is able to maintain the weight this track needs to sound engaging, but even in the cacophony of sludge you can make out the constituent parts (sort of).

Amp Pairing
So far I have only tested them on the two dedicated desktop amps I have: the Headamp GSX-Mini and the Quicksilver Headphone Amp. I've enjoyed both for different reasons. The Quicksilver amp really kicks up the punchiness on these and the drums on well recorded metal (like that LoG track I mentioned) sound absolutely brutal. Guitars also have a nice bite, not to an excessive degree but enough to get me moving my head. The GS-X mini on the other hand enhances the fine details and gives a nice smooth, detailed sound with slightly friendlier transients (but still plenty), better dynamic range, better separation, vocals step back a bit, and it's and generally a slightly tighter sound. The VC definitely bring out the differences in my two amps more than any of my other headphones. I could sense that there was something different, but I couldn't really put my finger on it as clearly as I have been able to since listening to my VCs on them.

All in all I'm in love with these cans! If this is how they sound after 24 hours, I am in for a treat after 200.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #10,109 of 12,549
but I want the soundstage lol
True haha, maybe I'll give them a shot once the hole in my wallet has recovered
The ZMF pad guide places them closer to the Uni lamb pads interestingly
2E45184B-07EF-4ED4-8AD1-3A24957460F9.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #10,110 of 12,549
Alright, I have some early impressions from having listened a bit today and yesterday (with the cans basically running nonstop since I got them, at listening volumes). I'm just amazed. Every ZMF I've gotten has raised the bar and the VC is no different! I'm sure my thoughts are nothing new to this thread, but I am just floored! These are pretty much the exact headphone I've been wanting for a long time. They have qualities I enjoy in all of my other headphones, bass texture and imaging/staging from the LCD-2F, midrange sweetness of the Aeolus, punch of the Atticus, and nice resolving treble that gives things a nice sparkle but isn't overbearing.

Signal Chain
Sources: Olasonic CD-1 CD Transport, Macbook with Apple Music Lossless
DAC: RME ADI-2 DAC FS
Amps: Headamp GS-X Mini, Quicksilver Headphone amp (tubes: 1958 Mullard EL-84, 1960 AMPEREX Holland 12AX7)
Cable: ZMF 2-strand copper

Pads
I have four sets of pads that I've been rotating: Auteur lamb and hybrid, Universe lamb, and Be2 lamb. My top two have been the Universe lambskin and Auteur lambskin (I didn't find that the hybrid did much for me and I prefer the feel of leather on my skin as a bearded individual, maybe that is why I don't notice as much of a difference).

The descriptions I've read of the pads pretty much align with my experience, the Universe sounds more tonally "right" and that's why I'm leaning towards them, but I do hear what people talk about with the Auteur pads. The Auteurs seem a bit more picky about how a song is mastered (not necessarily how "good" or "bad" IMO, I heard stuff that's compressed and sounds like crap on most gear open up on them, and some stuff that I think sounds great sound... a little flat), but on the stuff that sounds good on them they really do something special. There is something magical about how they image, and they also are a nicer fit for me (I have big ears). I just don't love what they do to vocals mainly, they sound a bit cold to me vs. the Universe pads (and my other headphones. But there is certainly something addicting about how they present music. I'm going to reevaluate in a few weeks once the burn-in process progresses, and I'm thinking with some EQ the Auteur pads might take the cake from me.

I also briefly tried the Be2 pads and while I did find that they pretty much collapsed the stage as expected (a deal breaker for me), they had some nice qualities too. I weirdly didn't find them much brighter than the Auteurs, they do emphasize some harmonics in the upper treble a bit more but they also have some big holes, and don't emphasize the lower treble as much (which I'm much more sensitive to I'm realizing). I didn't write them down but I listened to a few metal tracks that I actually really liked on these. I don't think I'd use them as my main pad but I'm glad to have them for a little flavor.

Some tracks I enjoyed listening to on these:
Better Oblivion Community Center - Chesapeake
<- I love using this one to test as Phoebe Bridgers has a fantastic, harmonically rich voice, and you can really tell if anything is being over-emphasized or missing. There's also some really beautify ethereal synth work, that also can sound harsh on peaky headphones. I found that the Universe pads suited this song (and this album in general) the best
Better Oblivion Community Center - Exception to the Rule <- similar points to the last song, also has a really cool sonically rich synth that really needs to be rendered faithfully from 20hz up to at least 10k or so to sound right. Phoebe also has some effects on her voice that can sound harsh on the wrong equipment. It sounds fantastic on the VCs.
Big Thief - Simulation Swarm <- Drums sound incredible on the Universe pads. I don't know what magic Big Thief's engineers use on their newer stuff but it sounds incredible on everything I own, and on another level on the VCs. There's are really neat distorted sound on the bass at around 2:16 that sounds really nicely textured on the VCs. Adrienne's voice is another that is hard to get right on headphones, lots of "detailed" headphones over-emphasize the harmonics and it sounds harsh, but not on the VC with the Universe pads.
Big Thief - Paul <- An older song of theirs and not as well recorded as their newer stuff, but it sounds great on the Universe pads. The bass on this track is very elevated, it feels like it's meant to sound like how an amplified bass guitar would sound at a small, intimate venue, after a few drinks. It's a lot, and on bassy headphones theres a lot of ways it can sound wrong: too much midbass = boomy muddy mess, not enough subbass = lifeless. But on the VCs it sounds just right: big and intimate but not overdone.
Radiohead - 15 Step <- idk it just sounds cool
Isis - In Fiction <- These headphones, especially with the Auteur pads, were practically made for post-metal. I like this track on both the Auteur and Universe pads, but it brings out something magical in the Auteur pads. The drums just sound really grounded in space and fill the room. The decay and sense of air is intoxicating but not overwhelming. The drummer plays a light tapping sound towards the beginning that I have never heard so distinctly, and every percussion sounds like it's happening in a space.
Lamb of God - Laid to Rest <- super tight metal track, kick drum is punchy but clean on both the Universe pads and the Auteur pads. Punchier and smoother on Universe, more spacious on Auteur (I'm just repeating myself at this point). I can enjoy this on both but the Universe pads make me bang my head while the Auteur pads envelope me and make me feel in the space.
Xibalba - Soledad <- sludgey, big, brutal sound on the Universe pads. The VC is able to maintain the weight this track needs to sound engaging, but even in the cacophony of sludge you can make out the constituent parts (sort of).

Amp Pairing
So far I have only tested them on the two dedicated desktop amps I have: the Headamp GSX-Mini and the Quicksilver Headphone Amp. I've enjoyed both for different reasons. The Quicksilver amp really kicks up the punchiness on these and the drums on well recorded metal (like that LoG track I mentioned) sound absolutely brutal. Guitars also have a nice bite, not to an excessive degree but enough to get me moving my head. The GS-X mini on the other hand enhances the fine details and gives a nice smooth, detailed sound with slightly friendlier transients (but still plenty), better dynamic range, better separation, vocals step back a bit, and it's and generally a slightly tighter sound. The VC definitely bring out the differences in my two amps more than any of my other headphones. I could sense that there was something different, but I couldn't really put my finger on it as clearly as I have been able to since listening to my VCs on them.

All in all I'm in love with these cans! If this is how they sound after 24 hours, I am in for a treat after 200.
I noticed the tube roll on your Quicksilver is almost identical to mine. My Mullard EL84’s are a few years older than yours and my Amperex/Hammond 12AX7’s are a couple years newer. It was my favorite combo with my VC while I had them. I still use this same tube roll with my Auteur and feel no need to change. Glad to see someone else enjoying this amp and tubes with their ZMF’s!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back