ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Oct 29, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #8,206 of 12,488
I was looking for a closed back headphone to block out my son constant chatter while gaming and other sounds.
Something as resolving as the HD800 so I looked into the 820 and Z1R and after reading the threads I thought they do not sound what I am after, to many downsides.
After reading all the positive thoughts and great YouTube videos ON the VC I took the plunge on a secondhand Ironwood Vérité.

Oh wow I am so glad i did this thing is crazy good to my ears, it pairs like a glove with the X26 Pro and V281.
Such a deep sound stage and great width that does not feel like a downgrade from the 800.

I would always try my other headphones from time to time and right away say "oh no that does not come close to the 800" but now I have a new top S class.
Thanks to everyone that spoke about the Vérité C and to all the people that made the video reviews.
Have you heard the LCD 2 Closed, if so how would you compare them to the Verite C.

Oct 30, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #8,207 of 12,488
Have you heard the LCD 2 Closed, if so how would you compare them to the Verite C.
No sorry I have not heard the LCD 2 Closed.
I am sure someone else can answer that?

Oct 30, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #8,209 of 12,488
I have not heard the Verite nor can I afford to, wish I knew somebody that had a pair, but most of the friends that I have are in the same boat I am.
I had not listened the VC before I bought it I went off comments here and YouTube video reviews. I would say if you are looking for something now with cash waiting save for twice as long to get something you are really after.
That is what I have done, yes it can take sometime but you end up with what you want and then your not wanting for more.
At lest for a while until you read or watch and review that makes you think doh I want that.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #8,210 of 12,488
I had not listened the VC before I bought it I went off comments here and YouTube video reviews. I would say if you are looking for something now with cash waiting save for twice as long to get something you are really after.
That is what I have done, yes it can take sometime but you end up with what you want and then your not wanting for more.
At lest for a while until you read or watch and review that makes you think doh I want that.
How does the Beyer T1 compare to the VC. Do they complement each other or would you sell the T1?

I'm finally going to get the VC by the end of this year. As the price is quite high I was wondering if it is worth it to keep the T1 or just sell them...

Oct 30, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #8,211 of 12,488
How does the Beyer T1 compare to the VC. Do they complement each other or would you sell the T1?

I'm finally going to get the VC by the end of this year. As the price is quite high I was wondering if it is worth it to keep the T1 or just sell them...
I have kept my T1.1, why because I am a hoarder. The VC is a much better headphone but I did love my time with the T1 and that's a memory I keep by holding on to it.
I moved from the T1 to the HD800, the HD800 beating the T1 for me.
I went back to the HD800 from the VC as I need to listen for a door knock the other day and I was shocked how bass light it was.
The VC might shock you bass wise at first listen, It is so powerful and deep to my ears.
Give it a little time and the right recordings / production and it is a thing of wonder.
Over produced highly compressed / limited recording still sound too smooth and the clip just like they always have.
I wish the modern producer would go back to dynamics and not brick walling. There are some great modern producers but they are a rare commodity nowadays

Oct 30, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #8,212 of 12,488
Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #8,213 of 12,488
Oh Wow! Those are going to look and sound fantastic! This is a nice hard wood....like 2900 on janka
I think these will be very popular and can't wait to see a few sets.
I can only imagine how quick, and impactful those Blackwood are going to be! They are going to sound fantastic no doubt. Some day I would like to own a pair in a harder wood than my Ambrosia Maple, or a least hear one.

Oct 30, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #8,214 of 12,488
I can only imagine how quick, and impactful those Blackwood are going to be! They are going to sound fantastic no doubt. Some day I would like to own a pair in a harder wood than my Ambrosia Maple, or a least hear one.
Yeah, I know, right. Quick, slam, impact...not to mention beautiful...LOL

Oct 30, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #8,215 of 12,488
Eeeeyyyuuppp. Definitely not going to be needing another closed back... ever.

Even the owner's card is made of wood!

EDIT: Now, once I'm free to throw more money down a hole and set fire to it, I am quietly open to suggestions for a first tube amp to pair with the VCs. I'm told ZMFs and tubes are a match made in heaven.
MicroZOTL 2 by Linear Tube Audio is fabulous with the VC!

Oct 31, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #8,216 of 12,488
New member here, apologies in advance if I come across naive in my experience in the forum, as well as in the broader audiophile landscape.

TLDR: What are the main differences in sound signatures between the Auteur and the VC from a non-audiophile perspective?

Details:

As someone who has always purchased the latest and greatest NC Bose headsets for the last 2 decades, and as someone who really didn't understand what true hi-fi could mean, last spring I stepped into the work of high-end headphones. My primary goal after months of research was to find a potential end game headphone system to use daily at home, that created a soundstage and experience that I could relax with and also enjoy my favorite music in a new way.

I landed with a system that I love: Apple Music Lossless/Hi-fi Lossless -> Monolith by Monoprice THX Balanced Dac Amp -> Feliks Audio Echo (with Matsushita tubes) -> ZMF Auteur Maple Ambrosia with Suede Eikon pads. (the Eikon's add a little more bass presence and roundness IMO)

I honestly don't know how to use the right terms to describe what I hear, but the words balanced and linear (volumewise) are things I think I have grown to recognize with this setup. I also hear individual instruments like I have never before coming from a space, that when I close my eyes, is massive. I hear a distinct difference when I listen directly out of the balances port on the THX vs the Echo too. The THX seems "clearer", more "precise", perhaps faster??? The Echo is super relaxing and what I interperate as holographic, but also blurry, in a chill way. Both setups are awesome and have their place depending on the day.

So all is good, then the ZMF bug bites his jaws down a little more...and in May, I get the Zach email announcing a limited batch of about to be released, gorgeous stabilized VCs...holy heck. Based on looks alone, I want. Little did I know that after 25 years of Mario kart skill, (enough to casually still own my son), I was in no league to score a set upon release. So I wait until the next batch in Sept...I make it to the CC payment, sold out... and now I await the infamous November "schedule" from Zach.

Here's my issue: besides the amazing looks of the stabalized VC, I am also considering non-stabilized VCs too if the woods tickle my fancy. I know they will appease my wife a tad more due to reduced sound leakage at night compared with the Auteurs, but I don't really understand what more I would get from VC sound wise even after combing and lurking this forum and others. So here is the ask from you all:

Any chance any of you experts could help a newbie like me understand what the additional $$$ for the VCs means compared to my amazing Auteurs audio wise, but in a way a non-audiophile could understand? Without being able to audition the VCs, seems like a leap of faith without understanding.

Humbly, thanks in advance.

PurdueLion, Chicagoland.
A lot of talk on here comparing the VC and Auteur lately. Strangely enough, those are the two ZMF’s I own as of today. I just picked up a really nice set of Manchurian Ash Auteurs to complement my tried-and-true Manchurian Ash VC. I don’t have enough head time with the Auteur to offer up much in the way of a comparison yet. I’ll try to report back with some thoughts on the two soon.

I will say this, I haven’t felt the need to plug in the VC yet tonight. The Auteur is certainly holding its own for the moment! I was a little afraid they’d be too bright for my preferences, but so far that is definitely not the case.

Nov 1, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #8,219 of 12,488
Anyone heard the VC off a Hagerman Tuba? Interested in the African wood, but my chain is a Modi 3+ and Tuba.
If you search the thread I believe there were a couple mentions of the Tuba I have seen. I haven't heard it but it was on list of amps that I was gonna pick up for my first tube amp after hearing about it here. I ended up going with the Quicksilver Audio amp instead which arrived last Friday. Only had a couple sessions with it so far but so for I am loving what it does to the bass and mids. I was using a Topping A90 prior to it which I use for my Hifiman Arya.

Nov 1, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #8,220 of 12,488
How many of you will be grabbing a pair of African Blackwood ? Interested to know my chances since there will only be like 60 :gs1000smile:
Count me in! :)

As a side note, I'd love to learn more on any differences that need to be taken into account for a more dense wood like African Blackwood @zach915m

You hear of guitar luthiers being hesitant to work with this wood due to it's susceptibility to crack and split from humidity. Of course, this would be less of a concern with the smaller surface area of the VCs, and I'd think the geometry of the cups lends well to higher durability than a large (and thin) guitar body.

I'd just like to hear any insights you can provide, as the process and story behind the cans is part of that ZMF magic (at least to me anyways). :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back