ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Nov 2, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #8,236 of 12,524
Yep, that classic ZMF upper mid dip can be something of an acquired taste. When I first got the VCs, I wasn't the biggest fan of that aspect, even though it contributed to the perceived soundstage. Both the Auteur Hybrid pads and the universe pads bring up the vocals nicely, and I really enjoy them, though I'm currently back to the stock Auteur Lambs because I really like that extra bit of clarity and bass, and I'm finding that I'm okay with the slightly withdrawn upper mids at 3K. EQ, tubes, or a pad swap handles it nicely.
Any recommendation on a solid tube amp to pair with the VCs? So far I'm just running mine on a Topping A30 pro / D30 pro but most everyone seems to prefer tubes with their VCs.

Nov 2, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #8,237 of 12,524
I purchased a custom amp from Mischa at 1101 Audio. Mischa is a member here and there is a dedicated thread to his work. Before I purchased the White Dwarf I used a ZMF Pendant SE and a Liquid Platinum. A lot depends on what your budget is.

Nov 2, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #8,239 of 12,524
Any recommendation on a solid tube amp to pair with the VCs? So far I'm just running mine on a Topping A30 pro / D30 pro but most everyone seems to prefer tubes with their VCs.

Currently I'm running them with the JDS Labs Element 2, which is great, and a baseline solid state that Zach uses to test headphones. I'm currently researching other potential options. I'm particularly looking at the iFi Pro iCan amp since it's very flexible, also has a tube built-in if you want to switch to a hybrid mode, and I like that iFi sound. I'm still debating versus some other options though.

I had a Feliks tube amp which sounded great with VCs, but I ended up preferring solid state.

Nov 2, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #8,240 of 12,524
I purchased a custom amp from Mischa at 1101 Audio. Mischa is a member here and there is a dedicated thread to his work. Before I purchased the White Dwarf I used a ZMF Pendant SE and a Liquid Platinum. A lot depends on what your budget is.
Budget could probably be at most around a Mogwai SE USD ~3,500. The concerns holding me back though are the extra noise and overall finicky nature of tubes.

Ideally I want something that sounds great out of the box without any hiss or fuss. However, it seems many owners of the more popular tube amps have had to make some adjustments to deal with various issues. I'll start checking out 1101 Audio though and see how that looks.

Nov 2, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #8,241 of 12,524
The Woo Audio WA5 LE sounds superb with my VC’s.
I have been looking at this and also the WA22 from time to time. Woo Audio has the added benefit of shipping direct to my current location. Had thought finding space on my desk for the WA5 LE might be a bit tricky but its probably doable.

Nov 2, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #8,242 of 12,524
Budget could probably be at most around a Mogwai SE USD ~3,500. The concerns holding me back though are the extra noise and overall finicky nature of tubes.

Ideally I want something that sounds great out of the box without any hiss or fuss. However, it seems many owners of the more popular tube amps have had to make some adjustments to deal with various issues. I'll start checking out 1101 Audio though and see how that looks.

The amp choice will also depends on what other headphones you plan on using. I bought an Auris Nirvana, but I also run Susvara most of the time, so I needed a nuclear reactor to power it. If you plan on using planars of any kind, then OTL amps aren't likely to work for you. The Mogwai SE is a really nice amp (all ampsandsound amps are). The Forge from headphones.com/ampsandsound is also a lovely amp. Any of these will power pretty much any headphone.

Woo Audio WA22 is also a really great choice and is built like a tank and will power most planars. WA-5LE is slightly above your price range but is also a nuclear reactor that can power anything so that's something to consider.

Cayin HA-6A/HA-300 are great amps, but since you mentioned noise, they both literally need an adapter to run high impedance dynamics like VC or you'll get a ton of noise, so that's not going to work for you.

So if VC is your main headphone and you don't have any hungry planars, you can basically look at any "quality" amp, but if you want to run anything, you're more limited.

Nov 2, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #8,243 of 12,524
Currently I'm running them with the JDS Labs Element 2, which is great, and a baseline solid state that Zach uses to test headphones. I'm currently researching other potential options. I'm particularly looking at the iFi Pro iCan amp since it's very flexible, also has a tube built-in if you want to switch to a hybrid mode, and I like that iFi sound. I'm still debating versus some other options though.

I had a Feliks tube amp which sounded great with VCs, but I ended up preferring solid state.
So far I'm really enjoying listening to the VCs on a solid state amp but quite a few friends swear I'm missing out by not having a good tube amp to pair with them. I saw a recent very positive review on the iFi Pro iCAN. Looks like a very versatile, feature-rich amp.

Nov 2, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #8,244 of 12,524
So far I'm really enjoying listening to the VCs on a solid state amp but quite a few friends swear I'm missing out by not having a good tube amp to pair with them. I saw a recent very positive review on the iFi Pro iCAN. Looks like a very versatile, feature-rich amp.

Tubes are definitely a preference, and I would recommend giving the VCs a shot on one to see if you prefer it. I liked the added separation that the Feliks Audio Echo (about $700) provided, which gave a nice focus on vocals. The sound was fuller and more soothing. Hearing the VCs on the microZOTL MZ3, I really liked how smooth, clear, and focused that top-end amp sounded. Just...$3700 though... I'd be saving up for a while!

That said, I came back to the solid states because I like the more accurate, slightly edgier sound, I'm not particularly interested in going down the tube rabbit hole, and I also have a current-hungry planar that doesn't play nice with OTLs.

Nov 2, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #8,245 of 12,524

I recently purchase a Feliks Euforia and out of all my amps this is probably the best pairing I have heard with ZMF cans. There is a slight amount of noise floor when I place it on my computer desk (near my router/home signal booster), but that completely fades away when I have it next to my lounger. I'll have to reorganize and rethink where I can put the amp but other than that, I love how it sound with my ZMF.

There's plenty of tube options to tube roll too.

Nov 2, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #8,246 of 12,524
Are you willing to DIY? Some great solid state options from a DIY perspective are the WHAMMY & the Neurochrome HP-2. I've listened to both, and they certainly compete against the higher-end options I've heard.

These DIY projects aren't too difficult (HP-2 is a bit easier) either. Great guides and community to support.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #8,247 of 12,524

if you're not powering planars, and want a quiet high end amp, two models come to mind that are incredibly good with the VC. First is the Decware CSP2 or CSP3. They don't come along used often but if you see one, grab it, it's good. The second amp that comes to mind is the Kenzie by Ampsandsound. It's Justin's quietest amp, and is an excellent match with ZMFs. I doubt you'll see one for cheap, but if any used DNA amps come up, also killer amps. I had a used Sonett 1 and it was really nice. Dead quiet with a nice tonality.

If you're looking at cheaper options i'd strongly recommend the Feliks Echo (either gen works fine). I have an Echo MK2 at work and it's excellent with my ZMFs and Focals. Very quiet, and sounds really sweet and euphonic. Not in the same performance category as Decware, Ampsandsound, or DNA, but at many times less the price, you can't complain.

Tubes can be a pain in the butt, but once you get used to them, it can be hard to go back to solid state. completely preference driven of course. i resisted tubes for years but once i took the plunge, i stopped using solid state.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #8,248 of 12,524

I suggest you reach out to @L0rdGwyn and inquire about his Airmid amp. It is, without question, the most noise-free amp ive ever heard.
Tube rolling on it is not daunting as it takes just 4 total tubes total, with the rectification being handled via solid state hexfred.

Staging and airiness is off the charts, and as the name suggests, mids are quite nice as well. I was so impressed with his amp, I had him customize my Glenn OTL, a legendary amp which is no longer available.

Only a handful of people have heard this amp, so the wait time for a build isnt crazy yet.

My review of The Airmid

Nov 2, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #8,249 of 12,524
Silver cables have great effect too on the sound. May be worth trying some silver cables too. It makes the warmer sound bit airy, increases clarity and increases separation of instruments.
I'm actual having a silver cable reterminated for ZMF, so hopefully this will help a little. I'm also using a cheap XLR adapter until I get that cable back.

It's not all songs, so it's not too much of an issue. I may still look into the closed black as Spotify does not have EQ on my device and I'm not using my PC as the source.

Nov 2, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #8,250 of 12,524
I suggest you reach out to @L0rdGwyn and inquire about his Airmid amp. It is, without question, the most noise-free amp ive ever heard.
Tube rolling on it is not daunting as it takes just 4 total tubes total, with the rectification being handled via solid state hexfred.

Staging and airiness is off the charts, and as the name suggests, mids are quite nice as well. I was so impressed with his amp, I had him customize my Glenn OTL, a legendary amp which is no longer available.

Only a handful of people have heard this amp, so the wait time for a build isnt crazy yet.

My review of The Airmid

Airmid is life!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back