ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Oct 1, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #7,981 of 12,586
Got my Atacama in earlier this week, been having a blast with em since! Don't stand out as much as some of the others in the batch, but I love the more laid back details on them :)
PXL_20211001_060831145.jpg
Congrats!! That's some of the most amazing grain I've seen yet. A stairstep effect. Zack's creations don't seem to follow a pattern - which is an amazing thing to accomplish. Each one truly is a work of art!

Oct 2, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #7,984 of 12,586
Unfortunately, no. I went straight past that to this and the HD650 as my foray into head-fi. Amazing combo and both still remain after cycling through a lot of other gear.

PXL_20211002_074917648.jpg

Oct 2, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #7,985 of 12,586
I'm having a tough time deciding between the VO and the VC as a replacement to my HiFiMan Arya and a compliment to my Focal Clear MG.

I'm getting rid of the Arya due to QC issues and on principal (after their support was unwilling to help me). That said, I absolutely love the sound, especially the fantastic low end depth/ texture/ omnipresence and obviously the soundstage. Mostly I love how inviting and relaxed the sound signature is compared to my Clear MG which wants to shove music in your face.

I've heard the VO can stage very well, however I'm concerned about giving up some of (better extended?) low end of the VC.

On the flip side - I'm concerned the VC gets a bit too close to my use-case of the Clear MG, which I use when I want to sit at the front of the stage or when I want my EDM to have a bite. When I'm not wanting that, I like listening to a lot of ambient/ chill/ orchestra. How much wider does the VO stage than the VC?

For example, this is my reference song for the Arya:

Kazukii - Dawn

The way the Arya captures the etheric omnipresence and texture of the bass, while maintaining authority without drawing too much attention to itsself is fantastic. I'm curious if the VO can reproduce that (and then some), or if I need to go for the VC for the level of bass I'm looking for.

Appreciate the help

I don’t know if this helps or how similar the Clear Mg is in signature compared to the original Clear, but my VC and OG Clear are completely different when listening to Kazukii. The VC really brings out the lowest frequencies and gives them a weighty solidness the Clear can’t match. The Clear is more airy and dynamic. They are comparable in clarity and detail though I’d give the edge to the VC thanks to astonishingly good microdynamics which seems to give every sound it’s own nuance and character.

There’s no question I prefer the VC over the Clear for Kazukii.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #7,986 of 12,586
I'm having a tough time deciding between the VO and the VC as a replacement to my HiFiMan Arya and a compliment to my Focal Clear MG.

I'm getting rid of the Arya due to QC issues and on principal (after their support was unwilling to help me). That said, I absolutely love the sound, especially the fantastic low end depth/ texture/ omnipresence and obviously the soundstage. Mostly I love how inviting and relaxed the sound signature is compared to my Clear MG which wants to shove music in your face.

I've heard the VO can stage very well, however I'm concerned about giving up some of (better extended?) low end of the VC.

On the flip side - I'm concerned the VC gets a bit too close to my use-case of the Clear MG, which I use when I want to sit at the front of the stage or when I want my EDM to have a bite. When I'm not wanting that, I like listening to a lot of ambient/ chill/ orchestra. How much wider does the VO stage than the VC?

For example, this is my reference song for the Arya:

Kazukii - Dawn

The way the Arya captures the etheric omnipresence and texture of the bass, while maintaining authority without drawing too much attention to itsself is fantastic. I'm curious if the VO can reproduce that (and then some), or if I need to go for the VC for the level of bass I'm looking for.

Appreciate the help

"Sadly" for me Verite won't become the compliment of your Clear MG. VO would sound closer to MG compare to VC. Both Verite produce really well bass performance, no need to worry about. VC would punch harder, along with bigger quantity compare to VO, actually I'd rate even bigger than Clear MG. VO would produce more airy and wider soundstage.

My wild guess is, there's a good chance you will sell Clear Mg after purchasing either of Verite.

A little note: VO with limited harder wood (like current African Blackwood) would produce more muscular bass compare to the stock of Silkwood. Of course you can always roll pad to fine tuning this area.

Oct 3, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #7,987 of 12,586
Im fairly set on the VC as a compliment to my LCD-X as opposed to the VO. The only thing I still am unsure of is soundstage. I believe the air, slam, and timbre of the Verite Closed are great counterpoints to the LCD-X; however, since I havent been able to audition both the VC amd VO, I dont know how much the VC loses in stage compared to the VO. The LCD-X is lacking in soundstage so I would like for my next set of cans to perform fairly well in that area. Ive read that because of the countours of the cup on the VC it still has excellent staging, but how far behind the VO does it fall? Is it significant or barely perceptible?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #7,989 of 12,586
Im fairly set on the VC as a compliment to my LCD-X as opposed to the VO. The only thing I still am unsure of is soundstage. I believe the air, slam, and timbre of the Verite Closed are great counterpoints to the LCD-X; however, since I havent been able to audition both the VC amd VO, I dont know how much the VC loses in stage compared to the VO. The LCD-X is lacking in soundstage so I would like for my next set of cans to perform fairly well in that area. Ive read that because of the countours of the cup on the VC it still has excellent staging, but how far behind the VO does it fall? Is it significant or barely perceptible?
Watch the video on the original post of this thread. Pretty sure Monster goes over pretty much everything you need to know about VO/VC.

Oct 4, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #7,990 of 12,586
I don’t know if this helps or how similar the Clear Mg is in signature compared to the original Clear, but my VC and OG Clear are completely different when listening to Kazukii. The VC really brings out the lowest frequencies and gives them a weighty solidness the Clear can’t match. The Clear is more airy and dynamic. They are comparable in clarity and detail though I’d give the edge to the VC thanks to astonishingly good microdynamics which seems to give every sound it’s own nuance and character.

There’s no question I prefer the VC over the Clear for Kazukii.
That's very helpful. The Mg is very similar to the OG clear, it makes sense that it'd sound more airy given that it's open, which is why I was leaning towards the VO, because I wanted even more air and soundstage than the Clears give. Less "in your face".

However since you brought up bass depth... it has me torn once again. That is equally important to me as soundstage. So it seems like it's ultimately a choice between those two aspects.

Oct 5, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #7,992 of 12,586
I met up with a local friend in Hawaii who has a Sony DMP Z1. It's got to be the heaviest, most expensive DAP in the world. He wanted to hear my VC, so I bought them with me and we paired them with the DMP Z1. It was amazing sound. I would say it was the best pairing of my VC with a solid state amp I have ever heard. It actually sounded like it was coming out of a tube amp.

Oct 5, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #7,993 of 12,586
20211005_114355.jpg20211005_114332.jpg20211005_114524.jpg

Stabilized Vérité Closed are in! Along with a custom Hart Audio Cable. These sound fantastic. Subtle differences in sound vs the Vérité Open. My wife apprecites the sound isolation as much as I do haha. Definitely keeping both!
Congratulations! A truly beautiful set with a very unique look. And the matching cable colours are the icing on the cake :-D. I hope you'll enjoy them.

Oct 5, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #7,994 of 12,586
I just got my VC Stabilized today, the Alluvium's. They're absolutely gorgeous in person. I think people are having trouble doing justice to VC stabilized's because phone cameras will not focus on the wood grain unless you find exactly the right spot. Even without burn-in, they sound magical and so far beyond my previous cans, the Hifiman HE-560. There's just so much texture and depth to the music.
I did some minor edits to some shots using Google Photos. There's so much complexity in these cans that they really pop with some fancy filters!

Attachments

• image (37).png
    image (37).png
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • image (36).png
    image (36).png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back