ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Aug 25, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #7,366 of 12,527
After reading several reviews it seems the Pendant SE has better soundstage and leans more towards neutral, while the Forge has more of the typical tube warmth?
While I've not heard the Forge, I couldn't be happier with the Pendant SE. I was concerned about that same issue that maybe it was too solid state like. There are many tube rolling options, discussed especially in the last few months on the Pendant thread. The ones I've settled on aren't necessarily warm, but they do have that euphonic tube flavor. Obviously different, but I also have the Arya as my only planar and it's spectacular on the low Z output.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #7,367 of 12,527
I know this an older post, apologies. I am having a difficult time deciding between the Forge and Pendant SE. I will be using the amp with the Verite Closed and the LCD-X. I can get the Pendant SE for around the same price with vintage tubes included (curated by ZMF). I would like more of the euphonic tube flavor while also maintaing detail retrieval and ample soundstage. After reading several reviews it seems the Pendant SE has better soundstage and leans more towards neutral, while the Forge has more of the typical tube warmth? Would you prefer the Forge over the Pendant SE?
i have a Pendant SE and Kenzie Ovation. the ovation has a more euphonic presentation vs the pendant, while retaining a high level of technical ability. i actually think it might be more detailed than the pendant, despite being warmer. but it's close overall. so if you are looking at Ampsandsound amps specifically, i'd include the Kenzie Ovation or Encore on your list. i love my ovation so much i'm likely going to sell the pendant. can't comment on the Forge, haven't heard it, sorry.

Aug 25, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #7,368 of 12,527
i have a Pendant SE and Kenzie Ovation. the ovation has a more euphonic presentation vs the pendant, while retaining a high level of technical ability. i actually think it might be more detailed than the pendant, despite being warmer. but it's close overall. so if you are looking at Ampsandsound amps specifically, i'd include the Kenzie Ovation or Encore on your list. i love my ovation so much i'm likely going to sell the pendant. can't comment on the Forge, haven't heard it, sorry.
Thank you for the recommendation! While the Ovation does sound enticing, it is a little above the price range I'm looking at currently. I may be swayed to stretch to the Mogwai SE but even that would be pushing it. Thats why I was hoping the Forge was a direct upgrade to Kenzie OG, presenting with the euphonic quality but maintaining detail comparable to the Pendant.

Aug 25, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #7,369 of 12,527
Have a batch of around 35 sets being dropped/sold next week in one large batch. Email going out soon-ish about specific day and time, though it will be likely that it's Sept 3rd.

All olive sets ordered direct are in final assembly FYI, will update email soon.
Man, I could not be more excited to try and spend $3000! Really hoping I can get a set that I really like this time. Take my money, please!

Aug 25, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #7,370 of 12,527
Do you guys have a recommendation for an amp in the 800-1200EUR/USD region or slightly above? It should be optimal for the VCs and also be able to work nicely with my Aryas. Balanced/XLR Inputs would be great and a desktop friendly size. No further preferences whatsoever. I never heard a tube amp, so no idea if this would be for me.Burson Soloist 3XP maybe?

Aug 25, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #7,371 of 12,527
Do you guys have a recommendation for an amp in the 800-1200EUR/USD region or slightly above? It should be optimal for the VCs and also be able to work nicely with my Aryas. Balanced/XLR Inputs would be great and a desktop friendly size. No further preferences whatsoever. I never heard a tube amp, so no idea if this would be for me.Burson Soloist 3XP maybe?
The MicroZOTL 2 sounds fantastic with the VC and the HE1000, both of which I own. I was thrilled with its sound using the original, less expensive power supply (PS). I didn’t upgrade to the linear power supply (LPS) for 5+ years. When I did it was only because I was already upgrading power supplies for the DAC and CD player.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #7,372 of 12,527
Thank you for the recommendation! While the Ovation does sound enticing, it is a little above the price range I'm looking at currently. I may be swayed to stretch to the Mogwai SE but even that would be pushing it. Thats why I was hoping the Forge was a direct upgrade to Kenzie OG, presenting with the euphonic quality but maintaining detail comparable to the Pendant.
Pretty sure Forge is based on the Mogwai OG, which is no longer in production. So, probably a totally different sound/feel than Kenzie.

Aug 25, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #7,373 of 12,527
The MicroZOTL 2 sounds fantastic with the VC and the HE1000, both of which I own. I was thrilled with its sound using the original, less expensive power supply (PS). I didn’t upgrade to the linear power supply (LPS) for 5+ years. When I did it was only because I was already upgrading power supplies for the DAC and CD player.

How is the ZOTL 2's pre-amp capability if paired with a solid state amp?

Aug 26, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #7,374 of 12,527
I know this an older post, apologies. I am having a difficult time deciding between the Forge and Pendant SE. I will be using the amp with the Verite Closed and the LCD-X. I can get the Pendant SE for around the same price with vintage tubes included (curated by ZMF). I would like more of the euphonic tube flavor while also maintaing detail retrieval and ample soundstage. After reading several reviews it seems the Pendant SE has better soundstage and leans more towards neutral, while the Forge has more of the typical tube warmth? Would you prefer the Forge over the Pendant SE?
I have the Mogwai OG (which the Forge is based on), VC, and the LCD-X. For me the pairing is fantastic. Tube rolling on it has limitless combinations (my favorite is a Tong Sol 6sl7 along with a couple of Tong Sol 6L6 STRs). The Forge is even better due to the fact that it has the upgraded caps on it already.

I hope this helps!

Aug 26, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #7,375 of 12,527
I have the Mogwai OG (which the Forge is based on), VC, and the LCD-X. For me the pairing is fantastic. Tube rolling on it has limitless combinations (my favorite is a Tong Sol 6sl7 along with a couple of Tong Sol 6L6 STRs). The Forge is even better due to the fact that it has the upgraded caps on it already.

I hope this helps!
Does the Mogwai OG have the classic warm, euphonic tube sound? Or moreso with the Tong Sol? I know the Kenzie is listed as the "warm" ampsandsound offering.

Aug 26, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #7,376 of 12,527
Does the Mogwai OG have the classic warm, euphonic tube sound? Or moreso with the Tong Sol? I know the Kenzie is listed as the "warm" ampsandsound offeriing.
i can speak for the tube rolling i did on my Mogwai OG.

If i needed a smooth sound: 6L6 STR
If i needed power and slam: KT88
If i needed something in the middle: 6CA7 (surprisingly, the JJs are really nice)
if i needed more mid-range: EL34

it still wont be as tubey sounding as a 300b amp, but it is up there with the sound customization options.

I highly recommend you check this thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ampsandsound-aka-amps-sound.802346/

lots of info from owners who have way more experience than me!

Aug 26, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #7,377 of 12,527
Thanks! Here in the EU this is almost 1600 Euros unfortunately, so above my budget. Any other suggestions? :)

Aug 26, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #7,379 of 12,527
presenting with the euphonic quality

Thanks! Here in the EU this is almost 1600 Euros unfortunately, so above my budget. Any other suggestions? :)
Have you looked into a La Figaro 339? I had one prior to getting my Glenn, which was before the VC dropped, but it sounded very nice with my other ZMF headphones. It also was very good driving the old HE500, so perhaps it will work well with your planar , but I would research that first.

EDIT: The 339 occasionally appears on Drop if the sticker price is too high.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back