ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Aug 23, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #7,337 of 12,499
Any recommendations for an amp that would “go” with both the HD800S and the VC? I own and love both, in their own way. Not looking to break the bank, if possible...

Depends on if you like SS or tube. I like SS and use the THX AAA 789 and I don't find it lacking in any way with the HD800S and VO. Has more than enough power at low gain.

Aug 23, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #7,338 of 12,499
Depends on if you like SS or tube. I like SS and use the THX AAA 789 and I don't find it lacking in any way with the HD800S and VO. Has more than enough power at low gain.
Thanks for the suggestion -- definitely one to consider! I’ve never had a tube amp, so I am not sure which one I'd prefer. I am curious but put off by the size of these things as I don’t have much desk space.

Aug 23, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #7,339 of 12,499
Any recommendations for an amp that would “go” with both the HD800S and the VC? I own and love both, in their own way. Not looking to break the bank, if possible...
MicroZOTL 2 by Linear Tube Audio, at least for the VC. I suspect it would rock with the HD800S as well but haven’t heard that combo.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #7,340 of 12,499
Here ya go with my Leopardwoods. Sorry this shot doesn't show the Furutech 1/4" plug. Those are Furutech mini xlr's. My favorites. I don't even bother with others, although the Edolics are actually just fine. Furutechs just a bit more industrial. There you go, that's the plug I have on it. I had Alex do the Furutechs fo a bit extra, easily worth the price. He also reinforced the mini xlr's with some extra 4:1 glue shrink for me. I have tuning devices attached to my mini xlrs, so I wanted some extra strain relief.

They are amazing cables especially at the current sale price. Easily clobber my Neotech silver gold occ, which cost me more even back when I got them. Probably looking around $1000 now for a comparable harness. They just don't compare in any area. Its the Litz, just ask Alex! I am a total believer! Although knowledge moves me past belief. I use their Diamond USB and just finished breaking in the Platinum HC power cord. Best stuff I have ever played with. Massive improvement to my system.

They all work together to just simply blow up what the Verite Closed do so well. Best cable I have ever used. I had no idea a power cord could create the kind of improvement you expect from interconnect and headphone cable. The Diamond USB probably makes the biggest difference. Wish I could afford to bump the Power Cord up to Diamond Maybe next year I will trade up.

Happy listening,

jgwtriode
Alright, you've sold me! Well actually I've been sold for a while now but finally took the step of placing an order for the WyW Diamond USB. Hopefully, it'll be significant enough of an improvement over my AQ Diamond USB.

On a somewhat related note, I've recently paired my VC with a Heimdall 2. Gotta post some pics sometime. The sound brings a little more of that air I felt was missing from the OFC cable and focuses the image more while keeping more of that low end weight known with copper over the Verite Silver. Comparing low end performance, the Verite Silver prioritizes texture (which doesn't require any strain to hear) over weight. However, I feel the Heimdall 2 has the better balance to my ears for weight and texture.

Aug 24, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #7,342 of 12,499
MicroZOTL 2 by Linear Tube Audio, at least for the VC. I suspect it would rock with the HD800S as well but haven’t heard that combo.

That’s an interesting suggestion, thanks! Seems underpowered by the specs, but FAQ suggest that it can drive high impedance headphones as long as they are sensitive enough. Can’t say that I understand why, but there seem to be very happy HD800s and VC users. What power supply option would you recommend? The difference in price is substantial.

Aug 24, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #7,343 of 12,499
That’s an interesting suggestion, thanks! Seems underpowered by the specs, but FAQ suggest that it can drive high impedance headphones as long as they are sensitive enough. Can’t say that I understand why, but there seem to be very happy HD800s and VC users. What power supply option would you recommend? The difference in price is substantial.
Another vote for LTA MZ2 (and more so MZ3). Plenty of power for VC - I seldom move beyond 11am/12pm. Truly amazing pairing; musical, rich and yet very detailed and clean. Definitely not a "lush" tube presentation, however, so won't mask bad recordings, etc. I've only used LPS, which I believe it's designed for. Well worth it.

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #7,344 of 12,499
Another vote for LTA MZ2 (and more so MZ3). Plenty of power for VC - I seldom move beyond 11am/12pm. Truly amazing pairing; musical, rich and yet very detailed and clean. Definitely not a "lush" tube presentation, however, so won't mask bad recordings, etc. I've only used LPS, which I believe it's designed for. Well worth it.

Thanks! I see that you also have the portable Cayin C9. How do they compare (used with the VC)?

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #7,345 of 12,499
Thanks! I see that you also have the portable Cayin C9. How do they compare (used with the VC)?
The C9 is one of the few portable headphone amps that can drive the VC with authority. Although, see above for recent comments on MAX300.

Between C9 and MZ2/3, the latter has the upper hand in every respect except for being trans-portable. The MZ2/3 is faster, has greater slam, better detail retrieval, etc. Otherwise, the timbre on both is not too dissimilar - both are fairly linear/neutral in their presentation.

They're both outstanding amps. Really depends on your needs. Both would probably be roughly same cost if you include the LPS with the MZ2.

Aug 24, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #7,346 of 12,499

The C9 is one of the few portable headphone amps that can drive the VC with authority. Although, see above for recent comments on MAX300.

Between C9 and MZ2/3, the latter has the upper hand in every respect except for being trans-portable. The MZ2/3 is faster, has greater slam, better detail retrieval, etc. Otherwise, the timbre on both is not too dissimilar - both are fairly linear/neutral in their presentation.

They're both outstanding amps. Really depends on your needs. Both would probably be roughly same cost if you include the LPS with the MZ2.

I know I don't talk about LTA and their amps a lot, or enough, but what they're doing over at Linear Tube Audio is first class work, and the group of people making the amps is first class.

I have the ZOTL 2 and 3 and love them both and they both are in my permanent rotation in my personal spaces for listening. The fact that they power speakers and can work as a phenomenal pre-amp is just another plus.

The ZOTL amps are fairly clean sound and for those wanting that classic "warm" tube sound would maybe want to get something else, but for a linear and fast sounding amp with a good form factor the LTA ZOTL amps are great, and honestly at the 1K-ish price point for the II there isn't anything better IMHO.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 24, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #7,347 of 12,499
Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball or Monoprice Liquid Platinum. Those are my two go-to amps and my VCs simply love them. My 6XXs love them too.

Aug 24, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #7,348 of 12,499
I know I don't talk about LTA and their amps a lot, or enough, but what they're doing over at Linear Tube Audio is first class work, and the group of people making the amps is first class.

I have the ZOTL 2 and 3 and love them both and they both are in my permanent rotation in my personal spaces for listening. The fact that they power speakers and can work as a phenomenal pre-amp is just another plus.

The ZOTL amps are fairly clean sound and for those wanting that classic "warm" tube sound would maybe want to get something else, but for a linear and fast sounding amp with a good form factor the LTA ZOTL amps are great, and honestly at the 1K-ish price point for the II there isn't anything better IMHO.
Good to hear this (not least because I think they tend to go a bit under the radar because of their restrained marketing approach). Totally agree with you - the entire team at LTA (and also Fern and Roby who manufacture the body for the MZ3 and several others) are indeed top notch.

The pairing with the VC is really exceptional, and having been through a few high-end(ish) amps, I feel the LTA amps do incredible justice to the speed and dynamism of the VC. The form factor - and also the striking aesthetic design - is the icing on the cake.

I mean, just look at it:

MZ3+Lifestyle-003.jpg

Aug 24, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #7,349 of 12,499

When I visited LTA last year after receiving my VC's, I thought the MZ2 sounded fantastic with them. I brought along a humble source combo - RME and an iPad. I did not listen to the MZ3 at that time due to $/FOMO, but I'm sure it's incredible.

Ultimately, I ended up going in another direction amp-wise (FA-10 and now MHA200), but the visit was a great experience!

Aug 24, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #7,350 of 12,499
Been doing some pad rolling, and looks like I'm split between the Auteur Lambskin and the BE2 hybrid. I wasn't a big fan of the Universe Hybrid unfortunately as I feel it didn't really make a significant enough difference between the Auteur and BE2.

I like the additional open "space" and bit more bass the Auteur gives, but the BE2's more intimate soundstage and controlled bass definitely is appealing too.

Has anyone tried the BE2 lambskin vs the hybrid?

Too pad the pads I don't want can't be returned. I'd love to try all of them, but at $60 per pair, I can almost buy an amp/DAC after all is said and done :frowning2: @zach915m Is that policy still ongoing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back