ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Mar 17, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #5,146 of 12,488
I have a BH crack, which from what I have read should be good pairing with the VC, but I actually dont like it anywhere as much as HD6xx with the BHC. I just ordered a Feliks Elise, and hopefully will gel with the VCs. What SS amps are fellow VC owners using?
Congrats on the new amp. coming your way @lalawilson168. Definitely check out the Elise thread here for lot's of good information as there are quite a few of us who drive ZMF cans with Elise with outstanding results.

Mar 21, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #5,147 of 12,488
I just received my WyWires platinum cable today and look forward to hearing how it sounds with the VC. I have been using the ZMF Lektrik S 4 Strand which I purchased with the headphones and have enjoyed it very much. WyWires 40% off sale made it a hard deal to pass up.
Yes please follow up in regards to these...I am considering a pair as a backup to my Graphene Carbon mad Scientists which are back in NZ being repaired. I have been looking at some OCC Silver Zenwave's...adapting one of their high efficiency speaker cables. to make a harness. But the price on the platinums with Alex's discount is certainly attractive.

Thanks,
jgwtriode

Mar 21, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #5,149 of 12,488
Hi,

In Tuesday I get my Vérité close . Do it need burning ? How long?
Thanks for response
Enjoy it out of box but few days of music playing constantly wouldn't hurt.

Mar 21, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #5,150 of 12,488
Hi,

In Tuesday I get my Vérité close . Do it need burning ? How long?
Thanks for response
The VC will go thru various stages. Around 200 hours seems to be the consensus amount of time before they really hit their stride.

I listen to mine right away, and at night I play pink noise for 8 hours while I sleep. Rinse repeat until you reach 200 hours.

Mar 21, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #5,152 of 12,488
Yes please follow up in regards to these...I am considering a pair as a backup to my Graphene Carbon mad Scientists which are back in NZ being repaired. I have been looking at some OCC Silver Zenwave's...adapting one of their high efficiency speaker cables. to make a harness. But the price on the platinums with Alex's discount is certainly attractive.
I like the cable so much I bought a second. It really opened up the soundstage and detail and the music seems more holographic now. It has shown me how important a cable or interconnect can be in my chain.

Mar 21, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #5,153 of 12,488

Thanks,
jgwtriode
I have found the Wywire Platinum to be nothing short of amazing. Substantial improvements and clarity, detail, transparency and 3-D soundstage. In my experience a bigger change in sound than swapping pads on the VC. That being said it may not be for everyone. I found most cables to be fairly microphonic with the VC probably because of the cup design and these are no exception so if you’re moving a lot they can be a little stiff and microphonic. I understand that some people feel a cable doesn’t make much difference in sound and I understand that as I have heard only subtle differences between silver and copper cables but this cable, being made of a super conductor, is very different. If you are like me and think cables only make a subtle difference, when you hear the WyWire Platinum I believe it will forever change your opinion. Alex’s RCA interconnects are amazing as well. I’ve never had the pleasure of trying the diamond interconnects but I can only imagine they would also be fantastic.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #5,154 of 12,488
Just got my VCs in today - I’m hoping burning them in will improve the sound quality. Out of the box using the stock single ended cable, mids/vocals sound *slightly* like I’m hearing them through a wall, like in the next room, very slightly muffled. There is also barely any instrument separation. Not impressive at any price.

They’re replacing my ten year old pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm. Maybe I’m just used to what everyone describes as a treble emphasis on the Beyers? Maybe I need to switch up the pads to universe or suede?

I will be giving these my best shot - Alex is supposed to ship a Wywires platinum cable tomorrow, and I’ve already bought a Hugo2/2go combo to replace my ifi micro iDSD BL I used with either my phone or CD player (I’ve also just invested in a NUC to run Roon, and have successfully converted my entire CD collection to flac over the last month). If you’re counting score, that’s like $7k+ worth of stuff I’m throwing at this project to get better sound while also getting rid of my CDs.

I’ll update in a few weeks after I burn in all of this stuff for the recommended 200 hours, but I gotta say, listening to the VCs out of the box, I do prefer the cheap but well worn Germans... which is slightly concerning considering the VCs cost more than 10x as much. Can anyone attest to this experience, and that burn in will transform these to a *definitively* better sound than the setup I’m replacing?

Mar 21, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #5,155 of 12,488
The VC will go thru various stages. Around 200 hours seems to be the consensus amount of time before they really hit their stride.

I listen to mine right away, and at night I play pink noise for 8 hours while I sleep. Rinse repeat until you reach 200 hours.
I purchased a VC at the beginning of March, so the anticipation will build in the coming months. I have never burned in headphones. This may sound like a dumb question, but what is pink noise? Is it something I can download or stream? How did you manage to play it for 8 hours? Did you loop it? What volume (db) did you play it?

Mar 21, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #5,156 of 12,488
Just got my VCs in today - I’m hoping burning them in will improve the sound quality. Out of the box using the stock single ended cable, mids/vocals sound *slightly* like I’m hearing them through a wall, like in the next room, very slightly muffled. There is also barely any instrument separation. Not impressive at any price.

They’re replacing my ten year old pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm. Maybe I’m just used to what everyone describes as a treble emphasis on the Beyers? Maybe I need to switch up the pads to universe or suede?

I will be giving these my best shot - Alex is supposed to ship a Wywires platinum cable tomorrow, and I’ve already bought a Hugo2/2go combo to replace my ifi micro iDSD BL I used with either my phone or CD player (I’ve also just invested in a NUC to run Roon, and have successfully converted my entire CD collection to flac over the last month). If you’re counting score, that’s like $7k+ worth of stuff I’m throwing at this project to get better sound while also getting rid of my CDs.

I’ll update in a few weeks after I burn in all of this stuff for the recommended 200 hours, but I gotta say, listening to the VCs out of the box, I do prefer the cheap but well worn Germans... which is slightly concerning considering the VCs cost more than 10x as much. Can anyone attest to this experience, and that burn in will transform these to a *definitively* better sound than the setup I’m replacing?

Welcome to the club :wink:

First, despite what you can read on this thread, changing the cable will not help. Are you using them with them with the Auteur Leather pads by any chance? I highly recommend you to try the Universe Hybrid pads.

Mar 21, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #5,157 of 12,488

I'd let your ears adjust and your perception might change. Transducers do often benefit from some use but I think your brain needs to 'burn in' as well. :wink:

Mar 21, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #5,158 of 12,488

My first week with the VC’s were interesting, they do take 100 hours or more to burn in. Now I like them more then my Stellia’s and go back and forth between my LCD 4’s and VC for which I like better. The VC’s definitely sound better through a tube amp, then again so do the LCD 4’s. The Stellia’s like the amp right in my Dave dac. I think the Hugo 2 has a little more powerful amp then my Dave. I wouldn’t even bother with pad rolling until they have some hours on them, but standard Autuer pad seems to be most liked, I also like the Universe hybrid, the BE2 full leather gives a very in your face sound, great for acoustic music, makes it even more like your sitting right across from the artist.

Mar 21, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #5,159 of 12,488

I'm a big Beyer fan myself (especially the DT770/DT880/DT990), and somewhat understand where you're coming from. If you've been on the DT880 for ten years, it's going to take a while to adjust to ZMF. Beyers of that generation are sparkly with a sort of in-your-face level of detail retrieval and separation (which I love).

The VC are more subtle and require a fair amount of adjustment before they hit their stride. They won't necessarily have the instant "wow" factor of some headphones, but I find over time they offer a more satisfying natural timbre and level of technical performance. I'd also say, in my experience, the VC sound much better at higher volume. At low volumes, they lack some dynamism.

Their performance is very much dependent on your set-up and on your pads. Personally, I recommend the BE2 but you'll definitely need to try out a couple of sets before you find which suit you.

Mar 21, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #5,160 of 12,488

You need to give it some time, with your past headphones you’re used to hearing a completely unnatural high frequency response. Now that you’re a member of the Chord club I would also suggest reading this post from the genius Rob Watts. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/#post-12457933 I thought I knew everything about how to listen for sound but once I put my “Audio ego“ aside and read this post with an open mind it changed everything for me and lead to a system that is nothing short of pure magic. Give some time for your brain to adjust and reconsider how you’re listening from Robs suggestions and I think you’ll find the VC provides a level of listening pleasure you never thought possible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back