ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jan 22, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #4,516 of 12,522
I have both: Pheasantwood VOs and Ironwood VCs. I follow both threads and I gather that I am definitely in the minority that prefers the VOs. Maybe I got a magic pair, but I think the VOs do everything except maybe the highs better. But I just LOVE the huge, 3D soundstage that I feel is unmatched for the VOs.

Thanks! Man I’m a sucker for soundstage too!

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #4,517 of 12,522
I would be very grateful if someone could compare the Universal Hybrid and Auteur Hybrids (which I own already). Wondering if it is worth getting the Universal Hybrid or not.

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #4,518 of 12,522
No I don't have the leather Universe pads. So far I have tried the leather Auteur pads, the hybrid Auteur pads and the hybrid Universe pads that I have received yesterday. I'm a little bit curious about the leather Universe pads, but I'm not sure if it's worth buying them since I'm now finally 100% happy with these headphones. I'm only listening to Hard-Rock/Metal music and there was always something bugging me with the Auteur pads. The Universe hybrid pads have totally changed my experience with these headphones and I'm not talking about subtle changes. Do you want to know what's the biggest change? I find myself tapping my foot constantly when listening to these headphones now :wink:
Since you have both versions of the Autuer pads, did you notice much difference in sound between the Lambskin and Hybrid?

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #4,519 of 12,522
Since you have both versions of the Auteur pads, did you notice much difference in sound between the Lambskin and Hybrid?

To my ears, the sound is nearly identical in between the 2 versions of the Auteur pads, I can hear a slight change in the upper mids (more presence) with hybrid pads. The biggest change is with the Universe hybrid pads. I swear, I have the impression that I'm listening to a different and much better pair of headphones now.

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #4,520 of 12,522
I would be very grateful if someone could compare the Universal Hybrid and Auteur Hybrids (which I own already). Wondering if it is worth getting the Universal Hybrid or not.

For my tastes it's worth getting the Universe hybrid pads. I just tried the Auteur pads once again to make sure that I'm not hallucinating and to be honest with you, I went back to the Universe hybrid pads after 5 minutes. I hate to say that, but if the Universe pads didn't exist, I would probably sell my pair of Verite Closed.

To my ears, the VC lack a little bit of engagement and forwardness with the Auteur pads, and for this reason I cannot have fun and fully appreciate the music that I'm listening to. You have to take into consideration that I'm the type of guy who doesn't really care about technical details with headphones and I'm only listening to rock and metal music. Yes the soundstage is slightly better with the Auteur pads, but again I don't really care about soundstage with headphones. Of course, there's a certain threshold that must be meet for me in order to be fully immersed with headphones, but for example I don't have any issues when I'm switching from the Verite Closed to my pair of Grado Hemp. For me, it's all about the musical enjoyment at the end :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #4,521 of 12,522
Jan 23, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #4,522 of 12,522
To my ears, the sound is nearly identical in between the 2 versions of the Auteur pads, I can hear a slight change in the upper mids (more presence) with hybrid pads. The biggest change is with the Universe hybrid pads. I swear, I have the impression that I'm listening to a different and much better pair of headphones now.
I second on the Universe Hybrids...plus the suede is a nice feeling on the face.

Jan 23, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #4,523 of 12,522
For my tastes it's worth getting the Universe hybrid pads. I just tried the Auteur pads once again to make sure that I'm not hallucinating and to be honest with you, I went back to the Universe hybrid pads after 5 minutes. I hate to say that, but if the Universe pads didn't exist, I would probably sell my pair of Verite Closed.

To my ears, the VC lack a little bit of engagement and forwardness with the Auteur pads, and for this reason I cannot have fun and fully appreciate the music that I'm listening to. You have to take into consideration that I'm the type of guy who doesn't really care about technical details with headphones and I'm only listening to rock and metal music. Yes the soundstage is slightly better with the Auteur pads, but again I don't really care about soundstage with headphones. Of course, there's a certain threshold that must be meet for me in order to be fully immersed with headphones, but for example I don't have any issues when I'm switching from the Verite Closed to my pair of Grado Hemp.

I guess I know what my next purchase is now then lol.

Jan 23, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #4,525 of 12,522
Hi everyone,
I'm quite curious about the ZMF verite closed. Seems like fantastic allrounder headphones with great soundstage, but I was wondering if they could be driven well enough with a dap only?
Or do I need a good desktop setup with dac to get the best of them?
If some dap only is a viable option, which one would you recommend at the minimum to fully enjoy the Vérité?
Thanks 😊

Jan 23, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #4,526 of 12,522
Hi everyone,
I'm quite curious about the ZMF verite closed. Seems like fantastic allrounder headphones with great soundstage, but I was wondering if they could be driven well enough with a dap only?
If some dap only is a viable option, which one would you recommend at the minimum to fully enjoy the Vérité?
Thanks 😊
I drive my VCs to great effect on my iBasso DX300. Honestly this setup is making some of my budget desktop gear obsolete.

Jan 23, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #4,527 of 12,522
Hi everyone,
Thanks 😊

Salut. I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but the Verite Closed are probably overkill for you if you are not ready to invest in a good setup. You don't need to spend $2000, but I would recommend at least a good budget DAC like the Modi Multibit and an amp like the Bifrost 3.

Jan 23, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #4,528 of 12,522
I drive my VCs to great effect on my iBasso DX300. Honestly this setup is making some of my budget desktop gear obsolete.
Yeah, but you are comparing a high end DAP to a budget desktop set up.

Jan 23, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #4,530 of 12,522
I don't want to insult anybody here, but the day that I will go back to a DAP to drive my headphones, I will probably go back to my Koss Porta Pro as well :wink:
I'm not opposed to using a DAP to drive high impedance headphones. I have a Chord Mojo and it does a fine job driving my HD600/650s. The problem I have is that the amount of power it requires makes a DAP less than ideal as a portable device. The DX300 is too big for my taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back