ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
May 22, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #2,793 of 12,468
how is that sabre pro?

don't seem to see it as often around here

I've used the original X-Sabre Pro for 3 years with several amps / headphone pairings and always appreciated its transparency and detail. With my current OTL amp adding a bit more warmth to balance the Sabre DAC's strong technicalities I get excellent results, both detail and musicality. Despite the occasional impulse to try a ladder / R2R I've never seriously considered replacing the Sabre Pro. Just my 2 cents, YMMV and all that. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #2,794 of 12,468
I recognize the T4 (man I am dying to hear that amp!!) but which one of your DACs, the Cambridge? Beautiful setup though.

Ah, sorry, should have written down the chain: PC (USB) or RPi3 w/ Pi2AES (AES/EBU) → Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro MQA → ECP Audio T4 (Beezar made).
And thanks!

Do you use stock tubes in your T4 amp?

I tried a bunch of different 12AT7 variants and settled back onto the stock JJs, yes.
I use the amp 8+ hours per day and the JJs sound very close to the pricier variants like the Mullard CV4024 or Brimar CV4033, so I feel better burning through them.

how is that sabre pro?

don't seem to see it as often around here

@LoryWiv gave a very good description above. While I usually prefer R2R/multibit, it's one of the best Delta-Sigma DACs I've heard and fits great into this system. Transparent, resolving, and punchy, but not shrill. The USB implementation (via XMOS U216) is excellent, too.

May 22, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #2,795 of 12,468
I've used the original X-Sabre Pro for 3 years with several amps / headphone pairings and always appreciated its transparency and detail. With my current OTL amp adding a bit more warmth to balance the Sabre DAC's strong technicalities I get excellent results, both detail and musicality. Despite the occasional impulse to try a ladder / R2R I've never seriously considered replacing the Sabre Pro. Just my 2 cents, YMMV and all that. :smile_phones:

now that u mention r2r, I have no idea what in earth a ladder dac is but that it seems to be v pricey haha

May 22, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #2,796 of 12,468
Even after half a year of daily use, I'm still surprised and impressed by this system's synergy. One of the best setups I've had the pleasure of hearing.

It has nice synergy with ECP amps. Even in Canjam NY, on one setup, VO And VC were on display with ECP DSHA 3F, SS amp from ECP.

May 22, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #2,797 of 12,468
It has nice synergy with ECP amps. Even in Canjam NY, on one setup, VO And VC were on display with ECP DSHA 3F, SS amp from ECP.

That was probably @zach915m himself.
And I agree with you, ECP + ZMF go well together. My chain at home is actually Schiit Bifrost 2 → ECP DSHA3F/Ravenswood → ZMF Vérité Open (Pheasantwood).

May 22, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #2,798 of 12,468
now that u mention r2r, I have no idea what in earth a ladder dac is but that it seems to be v pricey haha
Here is a relevant read on the topic. Currently I have a NOS R2R DAC (using as I type w/ VC) and it is better than any oversampling DAC I have had/heard.
My general worldview; go listen. Whatever sounds best to you is best. That is all that matters.

May 22, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #2,800 of 12,468
Perhaps a more unconventional pairing, but I must say the VC sounds sensational with the Bakoon AMP-13R. Easily the best SS headphone amp I've experienced, topping the HPA4 for me which is no easy feat I think. It's quite small but mighty, 25W into 8 ohms w/ an analog tube-esque presentation, the words liquid and grainless come to mind in summary. It primarily serves my power hungry Susvara but is no less remarkable w/ the VC. As for the VC, or Verite in general, I'm surely preachin' to the choir but I'm confident it uniquely competes with flagships at any price, probably the best bang for buck end-game sound available actually.

_DSC7595-2.jpg

If you're into vocal jazz, I would recommend checking out this Korean jazz duo below. This album sounds fantastic on the VC.

1590182356227.png

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #2,801 of 12,468
May 22, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #2,802 of 12,468
@zach915m Any news on the stabilized maple front?
Perhaps a more unconventional pairing, but I must say the VC sounds sensational with the Bakoon AMP-13R. Easily the best SS headphone amp I've experienced, topping the HPA4 for me which is no easy feat I think. It's quite small but mighty, 25W into 8 ohms w/ an analog tube-esque presentation, the words liquid and grainless come to mind in summary. It primarily serves my power hungry Susvara but is no less remarkable w/ the VC. As for the VC, or Verite in general, I'm surely preachin' to the choir but I'm confident it uniquely competes with flagships at any price, probably the best bang for buck end-game sound available actually.

_DSC7595-2.jpg

If you're into vocal jazz, I would recommend checking out this Korean jazz duo below. This album sounds fantastic on the VC.

1590182356227.png

That amp is damn sexy.

May 23, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #2,803 of 12,468
May 23, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #2,804 of 12,468

_DSC7595-2.jpg

1590182356227.png

did you by any chance manage to try the stellia alongside vc? i'm aware that there has been several comparisons made between the vc and stellia and i for one found the stellia to be very pleasing as well. funny enough, they are priced the same where i am; quite a toss up for those keen to try beryllium driver cans

May 23, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #2,805 of 12,468
did you by any chance manage to try the stellia alongside vc? i'm aware that there has been several comparisons made between the vc and stellia and i for one found the stellia to be very pleasing as well. funny enough, they are priced the same where i am; quite a toss up for those keen to try beryllium driver cans

Have not tried the Stellia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back