ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
May 26, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #2,807 of 12,524
8A5962F7-B0D8-4567-A4AB-29B468A0C7E8.jpeg
If there was any positive consequence of covid-19, it’s the fact that I’ve been able to spend so much time with my Verite closed!
Still enjoying it as much as when I got it first time around!

Now I just want to set up a dedicated dac/amp to connect my ZMF to my desktop (using for gaming as well).

Anyone got any recommendations for a good desktop setup below 1k budget to combine with the VC closed?
Currently use AK sp1000m with it :)

May 26, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #2,809 of 12,524
Bifrost 2 plus Jotunheim for $1100 sounds great with VC. Very punchy and dynamic. I like the Jotunheim more than Lyr 3 with VC. The Lyr 3 makes the VC sound a bit too diffused and soft.
Ya that's true. lyr3 is better match for Lean and bright headphones and VC is neither. I feel Bifrost 2 and used EC ZDT Jr as its not available new, will be a nice DAC amp Combo for ZMF.

May 26, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #2,810 of 12,524
8A5962F7-B0D8-4567-A4AB-29B468A0C7E8.jpegIf there was any positive consequence of covid-19, it’s the fact that I’ve been able to spend so much time with my Verite closed!
Still enjoying it as much as when I got it first time around!

Now I just want to set up a dedicated dac/amp to connect my ZMF to my desktop (using for gaming as well).

Anyone got any recommendations for a good desktop setup below 1k budget to combine with the VC closed?
Currently use AK sp1000m with it :)
A word of warning on those omega stands, they will prematurely flatten your ear pads as they apply constant compression to the foam. It will cause the foam to lose it's rebound faster. I used to use them myself and found I was replacing ear pads much faster than I thought I should. Turned out to be the stand! :frowning2:

What sound are you looking for in your setup? Do you want something reference sounding, or more musical?

As others have mentioned, the Bifrost 2/Jotunheim combo is a great combo for a good solid state/reference sound. Another option is to build yourself a Bottlehead Crack with Speedball. It's a very musical sounding amp but can be made to sound more reference with the right tubes. It sounds much better than it's price would lead you to believe.

Assuming Bifrost 2 for dac: Used Gilmore Lite MK 2 amps fit your budget and sound excellent with the VC. The Gilmore has a slight warmth and smoothness to it that I love with the VC. An underrated amp that is getting hard to find, but sounds great is the out of production Arcam RHead. My buddy has one and I love how all my ZMFs sound out of it. The Gilmore sounds very similar to the RHead, if you can't find one. Used Beyerdynamic A20 amps are supposedly a good fit with ZMF (Zach recommends them due to their high output impedance and overall decent sound). Don't discount the Schiit Valhalla 2, it's very decent with ZMF, though it's more neutral than warm sounding, and isn't as responsive to tube rolling as something like the Bottlehead Crack. But it is nice sounding overall, and worth a look if funds are limited.

I'm not familiar with your DAP, but if it's got a good onboard dac, you could us it for dac duties, and spend more $ on an amp. Occasionally used Phonitor amps list for around $1K, and they sound excellent with the VC (from experience!). If you could find a used ZMF Pendant amp near your price point, that's a killer option that from my experience elevates the VC to heights i've not reached on any other amp.

May 26, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #2,812 of 12,524

RME ADI-2 DAC/AMP sounds great with VC and is good value for money. + you can add some tube amplifier later

May 26, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #2,813 of 12,524
I would have liked to try a Jotunheim/Bifrost 2 or GLMK2/Bifrost 2 combo but I caved and have the Beyerdynamic A20 amp inbound. Have the RME, Grace Sdac, and the Element 2 (isolating the dac) on hand and will be comparing against the Element 2, RME and RME/789 stacked.

It won’t be a perfect test but I hope to just understand a bit better how the higher output impedance will affect the sound of my higher impedance cans and determine whether it is a positive or negative effect for my personal preference. Isolation fun!

May 26, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #2,814 of 12,524
I would have liked to try a Jotunheim/Bifrost 2 or GLMK2/Bifrost 2 combo but I caved and have the Beyerdynamic A20 amp inbound. Have the RME, Grace Sdac, and the Element 2 (isolating the dac) on hand and will be comparing against the Element 2, RME and RME/789 stacked.

It won’t be a perfect test but I hope to just understand a bit better how the higher output impedance will affect the sound of my higher impedance cans and determine whether it is a positive or negative effect for my personal preference. Isolation fun!
Please post your impressions of the A20 once you get some time with it. I have had that amp on my radar for awhile as a small secondary amp I can use around the house with a small dac like a Modi.

May 26, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #2,815 of 12,524
Has anyone heard the VC with the Headamp GS-X mini? How do they synergize?

The VC sounds great on the mini. I like that combo, but still prefer VC with a tube amp.

May 26, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #2,816 of 12,524
Please post your impressions of the A20 once you get some time with it. I have had that amp on my radar for awhile as a small secondary amp I can use around the house with a small dac like a Modi.
Will do my best! Just know that my experience with amps and dacs is quite limited and my ears are not at all trained but I’m really looking forward to this comparison and will share whatever I gain from it.

May 26, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #2,817 of 12,524
Has anyone heard the VC with the Headamp GS-X mini? How do they synergize?

I have the combo. It's really, really good and I enjoy it greatly. I think the only thing to consider is your listening preferences. I know that many love the VCs with a tube amp, but imo they are already warm in tone, so I could see someone enjoying them on a traditional, more neutral SS amp. The mini has a warm signature that's closer to a traditional tube amp sound (I should however mention here that the mini has an uncanny ability of having slight warmth while still having a ton of detail, clarity, etc). I mention that because if you're a stickler for neutrality you may prefer a less warm amp than the mini with them. (again, I happen to really love the combo)

My Woo Audio WA33 just got here and I will be comparing the Mini against it over the next few weeks. I'll be sure to include brief thoughts on the VC with each.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #2,818 of 12,524
The VC sounds great on the mini. I like that combo, but still prefer VC with a tube amp.
EVERYTHING sounds better with a tube amp! :wink:

May 27, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #2,819 of 12,524
Well phase 1 has been accomplished. I'm now an official member of the ZMF VC club. The only difference from attached pic is mine has a Stainless Steel posts. Hopefully soon I'll be able to drop actual pics of mine. Hint hint Zack:darthsmile:

Attachments

• WhatsApp_Image_2020-02-18_at_3.44.44_PM_250x-1.jpg
    WhatsApp_Image_2020-02-18_at_3.44.44_PM_250x-1.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 0
May 27, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #2,820 of 12,524
Well phase 1 has been accomplished. I'm now an official member of the ZMF VC club. The only difference from attached pic is mine has a Stainless Steel posts. Hopefully soon I'll be able to drop actual pics of mine. Hint hint Zack:darthsmile:
When did you order?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back