ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jan 7, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #1,966 of 12,524
I have been loving the VC with GSX-Mini (and Qutest as DAC). I tinkered around with a few other combinations of gear and have landed on the above and find the combination stellar.

Granted, consider I am new to this hobby and haven’t ever in my life heard a tube amp so I can’t offer any comparison there.

Still, I do feel I can confidently say the Mini with the VC will give you excellent speed, punch, detail, and soundstage. And maybe most importantly I love that I can listen loud without any fatigue.

Also for context: I am a touch treble sensitive and found the Auralic Taurus (with Qutest and VC) a touch on the sharp side, whereas I can crank up the Mini and get robust bass and punch down low without having to endure any high pitches.

I didn’t have any issues regarding treble with the Qutest/VC/Gilmore Lite, a combo I also loved. I had a balanced cord and figured I’d try the Mini as an upgrade (for lack of a better term since the Gilmore Lite truly is fantastic In it’s own right). The GSX-Mini, running balanced, to me lends a bit more soundstage. (I think I’m using the term correctly ..what I mean to say is that there seems to be more separation or space between instruments/sounds.)

Anyways, just some ramblings. In any event I love music and think the Verite, open or closed (have both currently, though I may part with the open) will keep a smile on my face for a very long time. And the Qutest and GSX-Mini to me really let the Verite shine and do their thing!

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #1,967 of 12,524
I have been loving the VC with GSX-Mini (and Qutest as DAC). I tinkered around with a few other combinations of gear and have landed on the above and find the combination stellar.

Granted, consider I am new to this hobby and haven’t ever in my life heard a tube amp so I can’t offer any comparison there.

Still, I do feel I can confidently say the Mini with the VC will give you excellent speed, punch, detail, and soundstage. And maybe most importantly I love that I can listen loud without any fatigue.

Also for context: I am a touch treble sensitive and found the Auralic Taurus (with Qutest and VC) a touch on the sharp side, whereas I can crank up the Mini and get robust bass and punch down low without having to endure any high pitches.

I didn’t have any issues regarding treble with the Qutest/VC/Gilmore Lite, a combo I also loved. I had a balanced cord and figured I’d try the Mini as an upgrade (for lack of a better term since the Gilmore Lite truly is fantastic In it’s own right). The GSX-Mini, running balanced, to me lends a bit more soundstage. (I think I’m using the term correctly ..what I mean to say is that there seems to be more separation or space between instruments/sounds.)

Anyways, just some ramblings. In any event I love music and think the Verite, open or closed (have both currently, though I may part with the open) will keep a smile on my face for a very long time. And the Qutest and GSX-Mini to me really let the Verite shine and do their thing!

--
Great discussions here on the VO and the VC, most of what's been said agrees with my experience.

I agree that the VC sounds great with a SS amp (as Monster also mentioned in his review), and I'm not sure I'd be in a rush to OTL it. I have a nicely set up Bottlehead Crack + SB that sounded great with my recently departed Aeolus, but I prefer the VC on my solid state amp (THX 788). Honestly, I think I actually prefer my VO on my SS THX amp too, though it's definitely a closer call than on the VC (better detail, more separation between instruments on the SS amp). Maybe a better (read: more expensive) OTL would do the trick, but I sort of doubt it.

However, I do have to say I really like the way that the new THX amps sound in general (had a borrowed THX 789 for a while, bought a 788 immediately after returning the 789, later got a Monolith THX portable too). To me the THX amps are super clean, detailed, and seem to accentuate the layering of the sound in a way that I really enjoy. The THX amps are also relatively inexpensive compared to many of the big name SS amps and all of the OTL amps, FWIW.

Just my two cents

Felix

Jan 7, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #1,968 of 12,524
I agree that the VC sounds great with a SS amp (as Monster also mentioned in his review), and I'm not sure I'd be in a rush to OTL it.
Yeah I still feel like the VC is killer with a good solid state amp,but after I discovered the joys of 6j5 tubes,thanks to @L0rdGwyn ,its taken the sound of the VC to places I dont think a SS amp can take it. I like the sound of those tubes so much im shipping my GOTL back to Glenn next month so he can re-wire and re-socket my amp to take the 6j5s natively,so I can toss the adapters,which can add a bit of low level hum.
However I totally get why some members dont want to mess with tubes. Theyre finicky and can be a huge wallet drain.

Jan 8, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #1,969 of 12,524
I've heard others say they didn't enjoy VC, and VO as well, with THX amps. I've found the THX experience to be very enjoyable with my VO as it creates a more expanded stage than did most other amps I had tried with the VO. Not saying the others were poor, the THX just expands it somehow (albiet a tad artificially sounding). Look forward to the VC arriving and getting to experience it on the THX as well.

Jan 8, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #1,970 of 12,524
I've heard others say they didn't enjoy VC, and VO as well, with THX amps. I've found the THX experience to be very enjoyable with my VO as it creates a more expanded stage than did most other amps I had tried with the VO. Not saying the others were poor, the THX just expands it somehow (albiet a tad artificially sounding). Look forward to the VC arriving and getting to experience it on the THX as well.
I find that the level of enjoyment in amps is an extremely personal choice. I have the THX 789, and I absolutely love it.

Jan 8, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #1,971 of 12,524
Totally agree with you on the VO and THX combo!

Jan 8, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #1,972 of 12,524
Not to say the stage is the only thing THX is doing right. Speed, power, detail, clarity, imaging, are all excellent as well. In a happy place with my current setup. Verite being the star of the show no doubt. :)

Jan 10, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #1,973 of 12,524
And there it is... praising the suede's apparently?

Jan 10, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #1,976 of 12,524
Didn't dms also like them with the eikon suedes? Maybe there is something to it, anybody have a pair they can test them with?
a few pages back i wrote up my impressions after a day with the eikon suede pads. summary: takes the best parts of the VC and neuters it a bit, leaving a very solid but unremarkable sounding headphone.

Jan 10, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #1,979 of 12,524
what i found odd on his review was the pads he found most spacious (eikon suede), i found most closed in of the bunch.
Maybe on his setup it sounded that way? Can't say anything as I don't own the VC (at least not until I get a tube amp lol).
I watch z_reviews more as an entertainment rather than some serious advice.

Btw, do you know if Auteur's pads will fit the Verite C? Don't remember if it was mentioned on the thread before. I can get the later in different pads in case and start experimenting :)

Jan 10, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #1,980 of 12,524
Btw, do you know if Auteur's pads will fit the Verite C?
Auteur non perf pads come as the default pads on the VC. Theyre also my personal favs as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back