ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jan 10, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #1,981 of 12,488
Maybe on his setup it sounded that way? Can't say anything as I don't own the VC (at least not until I get a tube amp lol).
I watch z_reviews more as an entertainment rather than some serious advice.

Btw, do you know if Auteur's pads will fit the Verite C? Don't remember if it was mentioned on the thread before. I can get the later in different pads in case and start experimenting :)
Yes, all variations of the Auteur, Eikon, Ori, and Universe pads fit the VC. EDIT - But will sound VERY different, even among variations of the same pad (ie Auteur solid leather vs Auteur perforated leather vs Auteur hybrid vs Auteur all suede)

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #1,982 of 12,488
Auteur non perf pads come as the default pads on the VC. Theyre also my personal favs as well.

Yes, all variations of the Auteur, Eikon, Ori, and Universe pads fit the VC. EDIT - But will sound VERY different, even among variations of the same pad (ie Auteur solid leather vs Auteur perforated leather vs Auteur hybrid vs Auteur all suede)

Thanks guys! It'll be fun experimenting when the time will come (and make me go crazy too lol).

Jan 10, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #1,983 of 12,488
Don't know about Z or DMS, but I tried the Eikon suedes on the VC and found essentially what erics75 found - the eikon suedes made the VCs sound boring (muddied the lows a bit, weakened the attack, slightly worsened the detail retrieval) and somewhat diminished the otherwise impressive layering and sound stage. Would love to hear what others thought, but I was pretty disappointed with the suedes (though l am quite happy with the VC overall). The eikon suedes do make the VCs sound a lot more like the Aeolus (IMO), so maybe that's why he likes them? To each their own, I guess.

I have to say that I sometimes find Z entertaining (sometimes), but I've realized that I just don't hear things the same way that he does and have stopped expecting his opinions to match with my own. I bought an Ether C partially based on his rec and found it to be fairly boring, though technically quite good. Based on the fact that Ether C and Ether CX are plentiful and relatively less expensive on the used market, I think that others found them lacking too. I also got the Sendy Aivas which he heavily rec'd, and those were very interesting but ultimately disappointing (unbalanced tonally, admittedly nice treble but also somewhat tinny; a bunch of EQing could make them sound reasonable but I'd take many other headphones over them even with EQ). Lastly, I agree with him that the Aeolus is a great headphone, but disagree about where the Aeolus slots in with the rest of the ZMF lineup (I've been fortunate to have a lot of time with all of the ZMF dynamics outside of just a little time with the Auteur; the VO and VCs are the flagships for a reason, IMO).

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I do agree with him that the THX amps are pretty cool and I did agree with him (and with DMS) on the Elex, so I guess there's that.

As always, different boats for different folks, just my $0.02.

Felix

Jan 10, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #1,984 of 12,488
Thanks guys! It'll be fun experimenting when the time will come (and make me go crazy too lol).
that's one of my favorite aspects of ZMF headphones, trying the different pads. not only do you get lots of options and unique sounds, but usually at least a few sound great. i wish other manufacturers would get on board with multiple pads.

Jan 10, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #1,985 of 12,488
Zach is going to recommend suede pads for VC. "I will list it on our pads page on the site as a recommended pad for the V Closed".

I hope he will bring suede pads to Canjam London.

Jan 10, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #1,990 of 12,488
a few pages back i wrote up my impressions after a day with the eikon suede pads. summary: takes the best parts of the VC and neuters it a bit, leaving a very solid but unremarkable sounding headphone.

Yea, I was VERY unimpressed with the Eikon suede as well. Way better pad options available IMO.

he didn't, but presumably eikon?

He confirmed it was the Eikon suede pads in the comments.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #1,992 of 12,488
Anyone happen to have any experience with any of the tubes for the Lyr 2 on the VC? Currently running it with the discontinued solid state tubes.
What tube types does the Lyr take?
Most tube mfgs had a "house sound" Telefunken,GE were bright,Sylvania and GEC( not American GE) were kinda in the middle and RCA,Mullard were warm and gooey.

Jan 10, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #1,993 of 12,488
As someone who considers the Utopia my preferred sound type, it's a relief to switch to the Universal pads on the VC. I've been low key thinking I was going to sell the VC the last week or so, but the Universe pads changed all that. The VC gets much more excitable and awake with the Universe pads. Now THIS is a true closed compliment to the Utopia's. I strongly prefer these pads of the two stock options. Zach, are there any pads that take the VC even further in that direction?

Jan 10, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #1,994 of 12,488
@zach915m,

Hi, do you swap to a different connector for any customer's request?
Perhaps, a female LEMO connector inside the VO or VC.
I have DHC Comp4 silver for my Utopia.

Unfortunately we can't use any connectors aside from the tiny xlr for them.

As someone who considers the Utopia my preferred sound type, it's a relief to switch to the Universal pads on the VC. I've been low key thinking I was going to sell the VC the last week or so, but the Universe pads changed all that. The VC gets much more excitable and awake with the Universe pads. Now THIS is a true closed compliment to the Utopia's. I strongly prefer these pads of the two stock options. Zach, are there any pads that take the VC even further in that direction?

The universe pads are the "stock" pad that comes with the headphone, but is off the headphone when you get them. If you want an even more "up front" and forward dynamic/linear sound I would recommend the solid verite pads. I will provide measurements for those soon, they are pretty linear and punchy due to the ear being closer to the driver with the same ear volume as the universe pads.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jan 11, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #1,995 of 12,488
Don't know about Z or DMS, but I tried the Eikon suedes on the VC and found essentially what erics75 found - the eikon suedes made the VCs sound boring (muddied the lows a bit, weakened the attack, slightly worsened the detail retrieval) and somewhat diminished the otherwise impressive layering and sound stage. Would love to hear what others thought, but I was pretty disappointed with the suedes (though l am quite happy with the VC overall). The eikon suedes do make the VCs sound a lot more like the Aeolus (IMO), so maybe that's why he likes them? To each their own, I guess.

I have to say that I sometimes find Z entertaining (sometimes), but I've realized that I just don't hear things the same way that he does and have stopped expecting his opinions to match with my own. I bought an Ether C partially based on his rec and found it to be fairly boring, though technically quite good. Based on the fact that Ether C and Ether CX are plentiful and relatively less expensive on the used market, I think that others found them lacking too. I also got the Sendy Aivas which he heavily rec'd, and those were very interesting but ultimately disappointing (unbalanced tonally, admittedly nice treble but also somewhat tinny; a bunch of EQing could make them sound reasonable but I'd take many other headphones over them even with EQ). Lastly, I agree with him that the Aeolus is a great headphone, but disagree about where the Aeolus slots in with the rest of the ZMF lineup (I've been fortunate to have a lot of time with all of the ZMF dynamics outside of just a little time with the Auteur; the VO and VCs are the flagships for a reason, IMO).

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I do agree with him that the THX amps are pretty cool and I did agree with him (and with DMS) on the Elex, so I guess there's that.

As always, different boats for different folks, just my $0.02.

Felix

I've also bought Mr. Speakers Ether CX after he hyped it up so much... it's so neutral and boring, it can suck the life out of you.. needless to say, I don't like it.:frowning2:.

I know I could buy the arya and I would love it, but its an open back and I really want a closed back for the isolation.

I want a really nice dynamic, powerful closed-back headphone that has nice slam, nice detail and sounds musical and ethereal and can be used as an "all arounder".
Verite closed has a lot of hype, but when I read through the comments I get the impression that people are trying to like this headphone, instead of actually liking it...

Im really undecided about the Verite closed, I don't get the impression that people's minds are blown by how amazing these are...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back