ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Dec 29, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #1,906 of 12,492
It's interesting DMS (deleted?) and now Zeos (hinted in a VC unrelated vid) preferred the Eikon suede pads for the VC. Seems to contrast with pretty much every other impression/suggestion I've read/heard.

Dec 29, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #1,907 of 12,492
Just received my Ironwood VC. It is definitely harder to drive than Eikon and Atticus. Balanced from R6 Pro still sound bass anemic, need to upgrade to R8 when released. Can sell the Atticus if only listening to hard rock and metal.

Before I splurge more money on R8, is the mid bass of VC less than Atticus on powerful amps?

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #1,908 of 12,492
Just received some Tung Sol and Sylvania 6j5 tubes in the mail today. I had the Sylvania VT135s that sounded phenomenal with the VC,but one of them was popping,so out it went.
Looking forward to mixing up the tubes a bit on the VC after 4 months with the Ken Rads locked in place.

Dec 30, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #1,909 of 12,492
Before I splurge more money on R8, is the mid bass of VC less than Atticus on powerful amps?
I think most headphones in general have less midbass than the mighty Atticus. If you use the universe pads on the VC,and use some bass heavy tubes however it can come pretty damn close.

Dec 30, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #1,910 of 12,492
Just received my Ironwood VC. It is definitely harder to drive than Eikon and Atticus. Balanced from R6 Pro still sound bass anemic, need to upgrade to R8 when released. Can sell the Atticus if only listening to hard rock and metal.

The VC definitely has less midbass than the Atticus, no matter what amp i've tried. As Monsterzero had suggested, the Universe pads will get you close, as they noticeably elevate the midbass vs the auteur pads. but it still won't rival the Atticus for midbass punch, that thing is a jackhammer.

Dec 30, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #1,911 of 12,492
It's interesting DMS (deleted?) and now Zeos (hinted in a VC unrelated vid) preferred the Eikon suede pads for the VC. Seems to contrast with pretty much every other impression/suggestion I've read/heard.
i've got a pair of Eikon Suede somewhere at home, i'll bring them to work tomorrow and see how i like it. my gut tells me it's going to be really shouty, but it's worth a shot.

Dec 31, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #1,912 of 12,492
The VC definitely has less midbass than the Atticus, no matter what amp i've tried. As Monsterzero had suggested, the Universe pads will get you close, as they noticeably elevate the midbass vs the auteur pads. but it still won't rival the Atticus for midbass punch, that thing is a jackhammer.

Really troublesome then, always have to swap pads - universe for metal and rock, auteur for classical

Dec 31, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #1,913 of 12,492
Really troublesome then, always have to swap pads - universe for metal and rock, auteur for classical
I guess if you like excessive bass in your metal. I keep Auteur pads for all genres and have plenty of slam, metal included.

Dec 31, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #1,914 of 12,492
yes, but a lot cheaper than what i'm doing...Atticus for rock/metal/fun, Auteur for classical and vocals, and VC for everything else. :frowning2: at this rate i'll have to budget in a divorce lawyer when the wifey figures out how much all this stuff costs!

were you expecting Atticus levels of bass? i don't mean that in a mean/jerky way, i'm genuinely curious. imo bass seems to be the one area i see the most differences of opinion regarding the VC. some describe it as being quite bass heavy, others closer to neutral. i personally think it's between the Atticus and Auteur. it doesn't have the Atticus' visceral and omnipresent midbass slam, nor is it as linear and neutral as the Auteur. it walks a fine line between them. for me it's more than enough bass, but i can see where someone might want more fun factor, which is where the Atticus is unrivaled. just my opinion though. i will say this, the VC's bass changes quite a bit depending on the amp i'm running. on my Lake People RS08 it's linear and fairly neutral. on my bottlehead crack it's a bit slower, but has more overall presence. on my Vali 2 with 6CG7 tube, it's most bassy, though a touch sloppy compared to the other amps. that's more a reflection of the Vali, not the headphones themselves. the VC is anything but sloppy. just in comparison to the other amps. so long story short, if you can, try other amps, you might find something that lets you stick with one set of pads, and still be happy with all genres.

Dec 31, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #1,916 of 12,492
The only thing I really miss with the Verite C is sub bass. I have a pair of Argon Mk3, and initially the mid-bass was just too omnipresent and overwhelming. Dialing back the mid bass at 100hz while maintaining the sub bass from 0-50hz scooped out that overwhelming aspect and left them with a deep visceral thump. The interesting thing is that a 20hz tone does sound quite present in the VC, just not as emphasized when listening to music. I attribute this to so much more mids and detail being present in the VC that the sub bass shifts a bit to the the background.

To be fair the VC are MUCH better in all other aspects. They don't have that one-note mid bass problem, it's very layered and as others have said, honest. To my ears they don't need any EQ. The Argons need a lot of EQ (see pic) to sound good and their detail retrieval is miles behind the VC regardless of how you EQ them.

a6d662049a03e46631aedddae23fe617.png

Dec 31, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #1,917 of 12,492
Divorce is probably a bad path! How about VC + choose-a-tube-amp and roll tubes for the various expressions? Once you have the amp, tubes are (sometimes :thinking:) < several pairs of kilobuck headphones!
yeah not the path i'd choose. more likely i'll get a beating and get my card taken away haha! i do want to consolidate my gear more and get a totl tube amp with some tube options for rolling. i'm just still torn on which set gets sold. i want it to be the Autuer since it's open, so i cannot listen to it whenever i want. but there's something special there i can't explain, but i'm so loathe to sell it. the VC is still so new i don't have a strong enough opinion on it yet. And the Atticus is a hard hard no. of the three, the Atticus stays, the others go, and that's without doubt. i'm hoping more time with the VC, and more pad rolling, i'll find i no longer long for the Autuer. then it's up for sale!

Dec 31, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #1,918 of 12,492
The only thing I really miss with the Verite C is sub bass. I have a pair of Argon Mk3, and initially the mid-bass was just too omnipresent and overwhelming. Dialing back the mid bass at 100hz while maintaining the sub bass from 0-50hz scooped out that overwhelming aspect and left them with a deep visceral thump. The interesting thing is that a 20hz tone does sound quite present in the VC, just not as emphasized when listening to music. I attribute this to so much more mids and detail being present in the VC that the sub bass shifts a bit to the the background.

To be fair the VC are MUCH better in all other aspects. They don't have that one-note mid bass problem, it's very layered and as others have said, honest. To my ears they don't need any EQ. The Argons need a lot of EQ (see pic) to sound good and their detail retrieval is miles behind the VC regardless of how you EQ them.

a6d662049a03e46631aedddae23fe617.png
which pads are you using on your VC? i did notice the universe pads bump the subbass up a touch. maybe it's not elevated so much as the smaller stage gives it more presence. still not sure which, but i notice it more for sure.

Dec 31, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #1,919 of 12,492
which pads are you using on your VC? i did notice the universe pads bump the subbass up a touch. maybe it's not elevated so much as the smaller stage gives it more presence. still not sure which, but i notice it more for sure.

I had been using the Auteur for about a week and was trying out the Universe yesterday. I don't have nearly enough time with either, but my initial impression was that smaller stage on the Universe take away a bit that outside the head feel that make the VC special for closed cans.

Dec 31, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #1,920 of 12,492
I had been using the Auteur for about a week and was trying out the Universe yesterday. I don't have nearly enough time with either, but my initial impression was that smaller stage on the Universe take away a bit that outside the head feel that make the VC special for closed cans.
i hear you, i'm struggling with the pads myself. i love the wide open stage the auteur pads present, but i like the immediacy and bass of the universe pads. i ordered the universe hybrid pads, hopefully they'll ship this week. i'm hoping it's a good bridge between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back