ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Dec 24, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #1,877 of 12,486
My desert ironwood VCs arrived today. :smile_phones: they are heavier than VO, but not uncomfortably
Are ZMF Auteur pads just larger version on ZMF Universe pads? or more angled as well? they seem pretty similar to me
My VO Ziricote feels like feather now. Initial few days I could feel how heavy VC Ironwood was but now I guess I have adjusted to it and don't feel uncomfortable at all. May be built some muscle around my neck. Have been working out as well. :smile_phones:

Dec 24, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #1,878 of 12,486
I haven’t felt Ironwood VC but my Cocobolo VO bothered me at first. After a few weeks I got completely adjusted to them and they don’t cause any issues anymore from weight. But if I could I’d still prefer lighter as they would be less noticeable when moving my head around and wouldn’t feel like they’ll fall off as easily. I could adjust the clamp force to fix this but with glasses too much clamp can get annoying. Will be interested to see how much difference the ~50g lighter VC MP will be.

I went with Seahorse case for VO and VC simply for functionality. Even though I don’t really travel with them.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #1,879 of 12,486
I haven’t felt Ironwood VC but my Cocobolo VO bothered me at first. After a few weeks I got completely adjusted to them and they don’t cause any issues anymore from weight. But if I could I’d still prefer lighter as they would be less noticeable when moving my head around and wouldn’t feel like they’ll fall off as easily. I could adjust the clamp force to fix this but with glasses too much clamp can get annoying. Will be interested to see how much difference the ~50g lighter VC MP will be.

I went with Seahorse case for VO and VC simply for functionality. Even though I don’t really travel with them.
Then try the Silkwood VO. They were probably one of the lightest, most comfortable HP's I have had, maybe even more comfortable than the Empyrean. Now when I got the Zircote VO, I had to adjust to the extra weight too, although there are times when I miss the light weight of the Silks.

Dec 24, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #1,880 of 12,486
Then try the Silkwood VO. They were probably one of the lightest, most comfortable HP's I have had, maybe even more comfortable than the Empyrean. Now when I got the Zircote VO, I had to adjust to the extra weight too, although there are times when I miss the light weight of the Silks.
For sure. I’ve demo’d the silk VO and remember how light it seemed compared to my, then, Autuer Teak. But when it came time to buy mine the beauty of the Cocobolo seduced me :D

Dec 25, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #1,882 of 12,486
Dec 25, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #1,883 of 12,486
I love vocals.
For those who have listened to both VO & VC, would you say which is better in vocal?
If you only consider Mids then VO has better Mids IMO. VC has little more emphasis on bass then on Mids but it gives it nice thick tonality

Dec 25, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #1,884 of 12,486
I love vocals.
For those who have listened to both VO & VC, would you say which is better in vocal?
That depends on your definition of better... My ears prefer the VO but many seem to lean towards the VC...the VC is a bit more relaxed I think (not by much) if that's your preference.

Dec 26, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #1,885 of 12,486
My wife knows me well. She skipped me and got a gift directly for my headphones; somewhere new to hang out.

20191225_130836.jpg

In anticipation of some post-Christmas cleaning, I am listening with Universe pads this morning. They compliment low-endy music without adding boominess. That said, I am going to put the Auteur pads back on, put these in the cupboard and just tube roll for the next while ...

Some Boxing Day bass for your listening pleasure:

Dec 27, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #1,886 of 12,486
Only had the VCs a few days and my initial thoughts on the pads - the pads fitted (Auteur) definitely give a more 'open' sound while the alternative (Universe) pads sound more closed but with more bass impact. However, I did find the Universe pads a little uncomfortable and my ears got hot and sweaty after a bit. I think this alone will stop me ever using the Universe pads again. Therefore, although I do like a bit of bass, I'll stick with the Auteur pads - they have a nicely balanced overall sound that probably convey the music as the artist intended. I also left them plugged in to the radio for a day or two to break them in and they seem smoother than they were straight out of the box. Edit to add: the top end still seems a trifle screechy on some tracks but maybe this will die down in time.

I understand many VCs were delivered by Santa this year so interested to hear what other VC newbies have found.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #1,887 of 12,486
Only had the VCs a few days and my initial thoughts on the pads - the pads fitted (Auteur) definitely give a more 'open' sound while the alternative (Universe) pads sound more closed but with more bass impact. However, I did find the Universe pads a little uncomfortable and my ears got hot and sweaty after a bit. I think this alone will stop me ever using the Universe pads again. Therefore, although I do like a bit of bass, I'll stick with the Auteur pads - they have a nicely balanced overall sound that probably convey the music as the artist intended. I also left them plugged in to the radio for a day or two to break them in and they seem smoother than they were straight out of the box. Edit to add: the top end still seems a trifle screechy on some tracks but maybe this will die down in time.

I understand many VCs were delivered by Santa this year so interested to hear what other VC newbies have found.
i definitely found the top end harsh or screechy the first week at least. but by week three i don't notice it at all. it's noticeably smoother now, even on my neutral amp.

Dec 28, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #1,889 of 12,486
Been lurking both here and in the VO thread for sometime, trying to make my mind up about which is the better pair for me based on reviews and opinions. It's been a great read and very informative, but my question isn't specifically to do with the headphones themselves - rather the environment in which you listen to them.

I know that for many, the VC is preferable due to the necessity of no leakage for other people to hear - however also because there are too many audible distractions that would ruin the listening experience with open backs. My question is, what would you define as a 'good' room/location for music listening, that wouldn't require closed backs?

I live in a two bedroom flat, and my room for listening has no fans or other machinery, and the only noise is likely to be from the cat; there might be the occasional door closing in another flat and perhaps some minimal traffic noise from outside - but nothing more than that. Would the hivemind feel that was a reasonable place for open backs, or is anything short of a soundproof mancave, with no entrance for children, animals or sound a requirement for closed backs?

I realise this is subjective, but am interested in people's thoughts, especially as much of this thread has contained people's opinions that they need the VC due to external noise.

R

Dec 28, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #1,890 of 12,486
Been lurking both here and in the VO thread for sometime, trying to make my mind up about which is the better pair for me based on reviews and opinions. It's been a great read and very informative, but my question isn't specifically to do with the headphones themselves - rather the environment in which you listen to them.

I know that for many, the VC is preferable due to the necessity of no leakage for other people to hear - however also because there are too many audible distractions that would ruin the listening experience with open backs. My question is, what would you define as a 'good' room/location for music listening, that wouldn't require closed backs?

I live in a two bedroom flat, and my room for listening has no fans or other machinery, and the only noise is likely to be from the cat; there might be the occasional door closing in another flat and perhaps some minimal traffic noise from outside - but nothing more than that. Would the hivemind feel that was a reasonable place for open backs, or is anything short of a soundproof mancave, with no entrance for children, animals or sound a requirement for closed backs?

I realise this is subjective, but am interested in people's thoughts, especially as much of this thread has contained people's opinions that they need the VC due to external noise.

R
I think given your description that either would be fine for you,and you should choose based upon the sound that you prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back