ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Oct 29, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #1,412 of 12,512
Am I the only one feeling a bit disappointed with what DMS is saying about the Verite Closed?

It kind of says ... nice. Is nice good enough for a 2.5k headphone?
The thing I would dispute is DMS sound description with the pads. Not sure how it works on the closed but the Suede pads should brighten up the sound on ZMF’s not mellow the sound out as he mentioned. Did he really give them a good listen?

Oct 29, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #1,413 of 12,512
Suede pads have not brightened my Atticus at least. They might have lessened the midbass hump it has, but they do not add to the mid treble peak level. What they actually do is kill the treble glare that lambskin pads cause around 5k. No idea if that will have the same effect on Verite C, but I wouldn't be surprised. This is why mine is now wearing Ori suedes, full time.

ZMFs can change character quite a bit beyond just FR depending on pad material, and then of course there's plenty of different shapes to choose from when using a given pad material. If I had to guess, I'm probably going to prefer universe suede solids on this thing over the stock Auteur pads. This logic WRT pad material does not necessarily seem to apply to the open back models, from what I remember.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #1,414 of 12,512
Suede pads have not brightened my Atticus at least. They might have lessened the midbass hump it has, but they do not add to the mid treble peak level. What they actually do is kill the treble glare that lambskin pads cause around 5k. No idea if that will have the same effect on Verite C, but I wouldn't be surprised. This is why mine is now wearing Ori suedes, full time.

ZMFs can change character quite a bit beyond just FR depending on pad material, and then of course there's plenty of different shapes to choose from when using a given pad material. If I had to guess, I'm probably going to prefer universe suede solids on this thing over the stock Auteur pads. This logic WRT pad material does not necessarily seem to apply to the open back models, from what I remember.
That’s what I was wondering. Perhaps the suede pads operate differently on the open vs closed headphones? If you check Zach’s pad description he mentions the suede pads are brighter than the lamb skin pads and Zach also mentioned I should try the suede pads when I asked for a brighter sound. Now these are the suede Verite pads. I have not yet tried the suede Universe pads yet.

Oct 29, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #1,415 of 12,512
Suede both let's more air through to decrease bass and acts as a filter to smooth out the transients. The filtering smooths the attack and treble a little. So you both get a headphone that's brighter but also with diffused/smoothed treble.

Personally I prefer the sharper transient of lambskin/sheepskin, and our new hybrid pads which will be released soon. A lot of people love the suede pads as their go to.

There's a lot of variances, and this all can change subjectively based on your chain, so I try to have enough pads to accommodate for all that.

Labels incoming on the pads back flaps soonish as well.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 29, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #1,416 of 12,512
He does call it the “new king of closed”....

Yes, but without valid comparison, e.g. Stellia.

Sorry, I should have refined ... I am disappointed about the mentioned tonal imbalances and the subsequent need to fiddle around with different pads. The last thing I want to do is trying out different pads to reach different signatures.

Oct 29, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #1,417 of 12,512
Suede both let's more air through to decrease bass and acts as a filter to smooth out the transients. The filtering smooths the attack and treble a little. So you both get a headphone that's brighter but also with diffused/smoothed treble.

Personally I prefer the sharper transient of lambskin/sheepskin, and our new hybrid pads which will be released soon. A lot of people love the suede pads as their go to.

There's a lot of variances, and this all can change subjectively based on your chain, so I try to have enough pads to accommodate for all that.

Labels are definitely needed in the case of the Verite and BE2 pads. Many times they look identical!

Oct 29, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #1,418 of 12,512
Does sub bass improve with suede or all bass is reduced? I thought wth more air would produce lower end as it does in home and car audio.

Oct 29, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #1,419 of 12,512

source.gif

Oct 29, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #1,420 of 12,512
That’s what I was wondering. Perhaps the suede pads operate differently on the open vs closed headphones? If you check Zach’s pad description he mentions the suede pads are brighter than the lamb skin pads and Zach also mentioned I should try the suede pads when I asked for a brighter sound. Now these are the suede Verite pads. I have not yet tried the suede Universe pads yet.
I think there's truth in both what Zach said and what I said. At least for the closed back the treble is more smoothed and more damped on suede. But I didn't pay a lot of attention to transient attack in the bass, which might be much better on lamb. For the open backs when I reviewed Aeolus and Auteur I didn't notice as much, if any, issues with treble glare on leather pads. Since I prefer a warmer sound though I'm pretty sure I'd end up with universe perf suede on the Verite and universe solid suede on the C, but I'm just speculating.

Oct 29, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #1,421 of 12,512
Does sub bass improve with suede or all bass is reduced? I thought wth more air would produce lower end as it does in home and car audio.

All bass is lowered some, but mainly mid bass from 80 to 150 hz, subbass is lowered less.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 29, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #1,423 of 12,512
I'm working on the pad comparison guys. Blame The Outer Worlds for the delay. :L3000:

Gonna get the hype train rolling, but the Hybrid pads are my preferred pads on the VC. I'll leave it at that for now...

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #1,424 of 12,512
Am I the only one feeling a bit disappointed with what DMS is saying about the Verite Closed?

It kind of says ... nice. Is nice good enough for a 2.5k headphone?
And he is someone with his own opinions.

It's fair to say it's a Verite. It's also fair to say technically it can't quite be at the exact level of the open, but may have other slight SQ changes people prefer due to closed nature.

Cheaper than the Stellia...

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #1,425 of 12,512
I had a pair of VC (monkeypod) delivered last week and have been listening to them every chance I've had since. As expected, Zach and the team did an incredible job with these. Like others have reported, I'm hearing a more forward presentation relative to the VO. The speed and resolution are real highlights and I'm definitely getting some of that unique, addicting 3D soundstage. I've stuck with the Auteur pads to this point, not yet feeling the need to switch things up. Needless to say, I'm enjoying the hell out of these!

The closed design offers really great isolation and the noise floor is lower than the VO. This is a wonderful attribute, but it will bring attention to any noise issues you might have with your system. I truly love the sound of my ZMF Pendant, but in my system the noise floor is a little high for the VC.

I'm sorry for the slightly off-topic question, but does anyone have recommendations for solid state or hybrid amps that might match up well with the Verite? I'm thinking of something with pre-outs that I could use to connect to the Pendant. I don't think I'll ever take that one out of the mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back