ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Sep 19, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #721 of 12,513
I think I'm gonna go ironwood or bust. I'm sure the monkeypod sounds great, but if this is going to replace with my atticus in the "tump" department then I want it to be as much of a step up as possible. This is also my way of allowing fate to tell me whether I should just be happy with what I already have or not. :L3000:
Another valid criteria: cost. The more expensive, the better. I confess that I use that approach more than I care to admit.

Sep 19, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #722 of 12,513
Im sure @UntilThen and @Phantaminum can comment further on their preferred VO tubes.

Best to go to the Glenn thread for discussions on tubes for GOTL otherwise this will become a tube rolling thread instead of Verite. :)

And don't get me started on tube rolling. I've just been discharged from Tube-aholic Anonymous.

Sep 19, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #723 of 12,513
I don't remotely think this will help, but but thought I'd give my two cents...

Given how relatively similar both must sound, and how much individual tastes vary (not least because our reference points tend to be quite different: different HPs, different amps, etc), after pondering for hours about this dilemma, I went with the only criteria I had left: looks. I chose the LTD. I think they are just a touch more beautiful. :wink:

I'm sure both sound great.

Just to make you even more confused: there is another criteria left you could choose: Weight :wink: . This will have lead to buy the...Standard Closed verite which is 140 grammes lighter !

Sep 19, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #724 of 12,513
Just to make you even more confused: there is another criteria left you could choose: Weight :wink: . This will have lead to buy the...Standard Closed verite which is 140 grammes lighter !
Ouch! That IS a valid reason.

Sep 19, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #725 of 12,513
Just be cautious because of the „new toy syndrom“. If the VC would have been released prior to the Stellia then it all might be the other way round and it would be raved about the outstanding, never heard clarity of the Stellia because we would have heard the warmth of the VC for half a year and would want something new to play with (that’s the curse of us audiophiles) :)

Edit: I am sure next year Meze will come up with the closed back companion of the Empyrean, than it all starts again from scratch. Oh, I am looking forward to it :wink:

Great advice sadly 25 years too late. Mmmm empy cbs...where do sign :wink:

Sep 19, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #727 of 12,513
Damn this thread !! My mogwai is screaming for this all wooded beauty !
I was literally just wondering to myself how the mogwai paired with the VC would sound lmao! From what Monster says it sounds like the Mogwai might be a little too romantic/warm for it? But different strokes for different folks!

Sep 19, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #728 of 12,513
I was literally just wondering to myself how the mogwai paired with the VC would sound lmao! From what Monster says it sounds like the Mogwai might be a little too romantic/warm for it? But different strokes for different folks!
I havent heard the Mogwai,so I cant say that. If you can roll in faster,detail oriented tubes into it,you should be fine. :)

Sep 19, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #729 of 12,513
Had the mogwai SE for some months now
It is a beast which puts out a great weighty sound with excellent speed and slam and pretty good extension and bal overall !..love it

Given @Monsterzero description of the VC.
The duo should be quite interesting like on a turbo mode !
Zach May have tried it for he carries amps and sound as well.

Sep 19, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #730 of 12,513
Sure.
On the VO I prefer the GZ32+Tung Sol 6SN7GT Black glass/round plate+RCA 6080 or GEC 6AS7G or Tung Sol 5998- *this is a super warm roll,but has very deep holographic imaging.

For the VC I like the GEC U52+ Ken RAD VT231 staggered plates(apparently the KR 6SN7 sounds the same) 6pack of 6BX7s (im using GE as thats all I have).

At RMAF I believe Zach was using GZ34+ Tung Sol 6SN7GT black glass round plate+ Tung Sol 5998 for the VC,but dont quote me on that.

Rectifiers=GZ32,GZ34,GEC U52
Drivers=Tung Sol 6SN7GT BGRP, Ken RAD VT231 or Ken RAD 6SN7
Power tubes= Tung Sol 5998,GEC 6AS7,RCA 6080,6BX7s

GZ32 is fairly easy to find and not stupid expensive. GZ34 is harder to find and usually goes for over $100.00. GEC U52 is God Tier and can go for over $350.00 and up.

TS 6SN7 BGRP is generally considered to be amongst the very best of this type of tube,and not cheap. Ken Rad VT231 is not as expensive and is known for ethereal sounding mids and fantastic bass.

Tung Sol 5998s are about 200-400.00 for pair. Brighter sounding with good extension and wide staging. GEC 6AS7G is God Tier and quite hard to find. Expect to pay over $500.00 for a pair.
6BX7s are easy to find and can be found for as little as $12.00 each. I use 6 at once,but you can get away with 4 or even two(i think). Fast and snappy with great impact.
RCA 6080s are dirt cheap,and easy to find. Big bass. Warm and romantic.

Im sure @UntilThen and @Phantaminum can comment further on their preferred VO tubes.
Thanks for your detailed impressions and insights. I have some of the tubes mentioned and will seek others!

Sep 19, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #732 of 12,513
You have to buy one. It has your name on it. Monster0gwai. :)
Im still irked how they had Godzilla kick my rear in the latest film.

Monsterzero rules!

godzilla_kom2019_feature.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back