ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Feb 16, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #9,676 of 12,586
The stabilized version is more expensive, but they are beautiful looking. Is there a consensus that the stabilized sound better?
Nope. :)

You probably won't find any consensus on which wood sounds best. I generally prefer the more dense woods, but there are those who prefer the attributes of a less dense wood (like that of the stabilized maple.)

Feb 16, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #9,677 of 12,586
The stabilized version is more expensive, but they are beautiful looking. Is there a consensus that the stabilized sound better?
Zach has mentioned that the stabilized versions mimic the sound of harder wood types, meaning harder slam and less decay. In my experience, although this is true, the differences are quite small, to the point where Zach has also said to pick a headphone that is most appealing to your eyes.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #9,678 of 12,586
Zach has mentioned that the stabilized versions mimic the sound of harder wood types, meaning harder slam and less decay. In my experience, although this is true, the differences are quite small, to the point where Zach has also said that pick a headphone that is most appealing to your eyes.
Also pad rolling is your friend!

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #9,680 of 12,586
No the hardwoods sound better! Blackwood or Ironwood, possiblity olive wood. Denser woods are better!
the-big-lebowski-thats-like-your-opinion-man.gif

Feb 16, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #9,681 of 12,586
Cork sounds better

Feb 16, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #9,683 of 12,586
Break in update:

Seriously, don't even bother to listen to these until they have 200 hours of break in, that is when the magic starts.

I was Just listening to Lovely Rita by the Beatles and damn if I have ever heard the cork pop like that at the 1:27 mark, I cant wait for my Yaggy OG to arrive it is only going to get better!

Feb 16, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #9,684 of 12,586
The magic really does begin after 200 hours. But run it with pink noise, white noise , random noise and frequency sweeps if you want to fully burn it. I explained previously the easiest way to do this is Tara Labs Cascade burn in available on there website. Music alone is note enough to completely burn them in. Check out the Tara Labs site for more info. It is amazing what it does for a freebie application.

Feb 17, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #9,687 of 12,586
The magic really does begin after 200 hours. But run it with pink noise, white noise , random noise and frequency sweeps if you want to fully burn it. I explained previously the easiest way to do this is Tara Labs Cascade burn in available on there website. Music alone is note enough to completely burn them in. Check out the Tara Labs site for more info. It is amazing what it does for a freebie application.
Ok I checked it out, gonna do a session with it now thanks for the tip.

Feb 17, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #9,688 of 12,586
Gosh, I'm enjoying my VC, but it isn't a super dense wood nor burned in 200 hours. What am I doing wrong?!
I am at about the same hour mark and they sound very good but there is still a little graininess, instrument separation and black level could be noticeably better. For me I am wondering at this point if it is more related to the basic DAC in my Jotunheim 2, I will know when my new to me Yaggy OG arrives Friday!

I am also trying out the burn in recommended by jgwtriode so am hoping for some improvement after it is finished.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #9,689 of 12,586
I am at about the same hour mark and they sound very good but there is still a little graininess, instrument separation and black level could be noticeably better. For me I am wondering at this point if it is more related to the basic DAC in my Jotunheim 2, I will know when my new to me Yaggy OG arrives Friday!

I am also trying out the burn in recommended by jgwtriode I am hoping for some improvement after it is finished.

Yes, makes me wonder if it is more related to your upstream chain. I no longer have any solid state amplifiers, so I can't compare, but maybe try some tubes :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back