ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Sep 22, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #7,786 of 12,512
61DC500F-2219-45B1-AE05-F49FBB525F9E.jpeg
The Gawain — certainly not as striking as some of the others that went first in the drop, but they are really lovely in person. The photos don’t do justice.
Often the case with Zach's creations, they almost always look more stunning in person. Of course photos also can never capture how they sound either...enjoy!

Sep 22, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #7,787 of 12,512
Pictures don’t do them justice, they are stunning in real life. Absolute works of art, and I haven’t even had a chance to listem to them yet - need to take the dog out for a walk first.

8E75E560-8E9E-4AB0-BBB6-38070B94CD0B.jpeg

9CBDE4B4-7518-4170-82AD-11DDF6739255.jpeg

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #7,788 of 12,512
There is an 'edginess' to the upper mids that can seem a bit harsh (to my ears). Don't be concerned. This takes a while to fade away and for everything to smooth out, but it does. Then audio nirvana arrives.
I went through this thread about break-in time of the VC and found this post. Now my Stab VC actually gaives me this upper-mid shrill (with Auteur Solid / Auteur Hybrid) with Lavri Cable Grand XLR cable, which is quite annoying. The cable worked perflectly with the VO Silkwood (having around 300Hrs on them) /Verite Pref Pads with no shrill at all. I sold my VO to get the VC Stab.

Now the VC Stab is around 55-60 hours mark, and I hope this shrill goes away with break in (150-200-250Hr or whatever), otherwise, it's pity that I have to let this pair go. I really wish I can keep it as I love the look and comfort.

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #7,789 of 12,512
61DC500F-2219-45B1-AE05-F49FBB525F9E.jpeg
The Gawain — certainly not as striking as some of the others that went first in the drop, but they are really lovely in person. The photos don’t do justice.
Beautiful! Congratulations!

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #7,790 of 12,512
I went through this thread about break-in time of the VC and found this post. Now my Stab VC actually gaives me this upper-mid shrill (with Auteur Solid / Auteur Hybrid) with Lavri Cable Grand XLR cable, which is quite annoying. The cable worked perflectly with the VO Silkwood (having around 300Hrs on them) /Verite Pref Pads with no shrill at all. I sold my VO to get the VC Stab.
Despite what has been claimed in this thread before, silver cables def have more energy in the highs vs. copper cables. Coupled with the fact that the VC already has more energy up top vs. the VO im not surprised that you're hearing something you're describing as "shrillness" on the VC.

Have you tried any other pads besides the two Auteurs?

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #7,791 of 12,512
Despite what has been claimed in this thread before, silver cables def have more energy in the highs vs. copper cables. Coupled with the fact that the VC already has more energy up top vs. the VO im not surprised that you're hearing something you're describing as "shrillness" on the VC.

Have you tried any other pads besides the two Auteurs?
I have Universe and Verite BE, but have yet to try them.

I also have Cardas Clear SE cable and might try it with the VC. If it works well (being Copper-based and all), might get someone to mod it to XLR for me.

Sep 22, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #7,792 of 12,512
I have Universe and Verite BE, but have yet to try them.

I also have Cardas Clear SE cable and might try it with the VC. If it works well (being Copper-based and all), might get someone to mod it to XLR for me.
Give those changes a go before you list them for sale. Also keep in mind that there is also a period of time that goes by before ones ears become accustomed to a new sound signature.

Sep 22, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #7,793 of 12,512
I went through this thread about break-in time of the VC and found this post. Now my Stab VC actually gaives me this upper-mid shrill (with Auteur Solid / Auteur Hybrid)

I have had the same problem with the Auteur solid and hybrid pads. (With different cables/amps) Now I'm using the Universe Hybrid pads and I don't have any shrillness issues with the upper-mids.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #7,794 of 12,512
I have had the same problem with the Auteur solid and hybrid pads. (With different cables/amps) Now I'm using the Universe Hybrid pads and I don't have any shrillness issues with the upper-mids.
I only have Universe Lamb but will give it a try. Thanks for suggestion!

Sep 22, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #7,795 of 12,512
Same with me

Sep 22, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #7,796 of 12,512
I only have Universe Lamb but will give it a try. Thanks for suggestion!
I'll be getting in the Universe suede and hybrid tomorrow and can let you know a comparison with the lamb as the lambskin is just a bit too V shaped for me - need to move to just a bit more neutral response. The pads make a dramatic difference.

Sep 22, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #7,798 of 12,512
I'll be getting in the Universe suede and hybrid tomorrow and can let you know a comparison with the lamb as the lambskin is just a bit too V shaped for me - need to move to just a bit more neutral response. The pads make a dramatic difference.
Thanks mate! I live in a far-far side of the world, so if it actually works out well, I will order mine too!

I highly recommend you to try the Universe Hybrid pads if you have the budget for more pads :wink:
I sure have pad budget, as it's way cheaper than buying a new cable. :sweat_smile:

I actually am browsing for cable options now, from Forza Noir / WyWires Platinum / Arctic Ingens (copper), costing from $4xx to $1,7xx for 3 meter length... which is quite a bit more than what I'm willing to pay. It makes a lot more sense to try (buy) other pads before dumping my money on expensive cable.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #7,799 of 12,512
Thanks mate! I live in a far-far side of the world, so if it actually works out well, I will order mine too!

I sure have pad budget, as it's way cheaper than buying a new cable. :sweat_smile:

I actually am browsing for cable options now, from Forza Noir / WyWires Platinum / Arctic Ingens (copper), costing from $4xx to $1,7xx for 3 meter length... which is quite a bit more than what I'm willing to pay. It makes a lot more sense to try (buy) other pads before dumping my money on expensive cable.

Yes definitely try out alternate pad first - not sure on other headphones but pad on VC makes a DRASTIC changes. Two of my fav pads are Auteur Hybrid and Universe Hybrid.

I believe the shrill will go away with more time. Imagine I pair my VC directly out from hugo2 and I dont find it too bright / analytical / shouty on upper mid at all.

Don't give up just yet :)

Sep 22, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #7,800 of 12,512

Now the VC Stab is around 55-60 hours mark, and I hope this shrill goes away with break in (150-200-250Hr or whatever), otherwise, it's pity that I have to let this pair go. I really wish I can keep it as I love the look and comfort.
Given the hour mark you're at, I would not make any gear changes (cables/pads/etc) until you're well past the 150 hour mark. I would let them burn in still so you learn them in their stock configuration, then tweak once they're settled in. Just my opinion of course. You're still in early burn in and I can say with mine, from hours 50ish to over 100ish the sound changed noticeably. I also found them shrill and harsh up top early on. By 200 hours with no other gear changes the shrillness was mostly gone. There was a VERY slight hardness to the treble that i associate with the metal coated driver, but i don't find it fatiguing at all anymore, even on solid state amps. on tubes i get zero fatigue even at high volume. i use a Forza copper cable (just the basic one, nothing fancy) and the Auteur and Universe leather pads. I like the bass of the Universe pads, but the overall tonal balance of the Auteur pads, so I go back and forth a lot. No shrillness at all on either set of pads. I don't have a silver cable to compare with, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back