ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Aug 21, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #7,291 of 12,498
I could`nt resist any longer. :see_no_evil: A ZMF dealer in Germany had a Sapele VC on stock and gave me one of those wooden boxes I wanted. Therfore: Hello to the ZMF family from your newest member! :D

DSCF6127.jpg

Sapele is such a wonderful wood, gorgeous, enjoy!

Aug 21, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #7,292 of 12,498
Thank you, I will :) Based on the photo the dealer sent me upfront, I was not so sure about the optics because the texture is not very even like i.e. the desert wood model I considered to buy used before. But in reality it`s really cool and has a nice shimmer. @zach915m Thank you so much for your fantastic craftmansship. Only spent an hour listening to them, but I think I really like them a lot. And because I`m german: :beerchug:

Ah, weight is a bit more than expected: 541g with the stock pads.

On question: How can I find out if this is is the aluminium or magnesium chassis? Thanks!

Aug 21, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #7,293 of 12,498
On question: How can I find out if this is is the aluminium or magnesium chassis? Thanks!

Magnesium chassis are only painted and the paint may chip easily. Sometimes you can see some imperfections in the paint job around the edges. The paint chips easily there.

Try to scratch the paint, if it chips it will be magnesium 😜

I always order aluminium chassis, don't mind the weight at all.

Aug 21, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #7,294 of 12,498
Thank you, I will :) Based on the photo the dealer sent me upfront, I was not so sure about the optics because the texture is not very even like i.e. the desert wood model I considered to buy used before. But in reality it`s really cool and has a nice shimmer. @zach915m Thank you so much for your fantastic craftmansship. Only spent an hour listening to them, but I think I really like them a lot. And because I`m german: :beerchug:

Ah, weight is a bit more than expected: 541g with the stock pads.

I changed from magnesium to aluminum. I believe the aluminum has a more matte finish and has less sharp edges, but I might be wrong.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #7,295 of 12,498
Magnesium chassis are only painted and the paint may chip easily. Sometimes you can see some imperfections in the paint job around the edges. The paint chips easily there.

Try to scratch the paint, if it chips it will be magnesium 😜

I always order aluminium chassis, don't mind the weight at all.

I changed from magnesium to aluminum. I believe the aluminum has a more matte finish and has less sharp edges, but I might be wrong.
We switched our magnesium finish and the shape of all gimbals a while back (maybe 6 months?) so they all look the same and have more radius to the edges. Since the change to the new magnesium substrate and shape we haven't had a single complaint about paint chipping (knock on wood!) on the new shape/material.

The aluminum is less of an absolute black because of the anodization process and is more of a super dark Grey whereas the magnesium finish is more of an absolute black. They are both a satin feel.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 21, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #7,296 of 12,498
We switched our magnesium finish and the shape of all gimbals a while back (maybe 6 months?) so they all look the same and have more radius to the edges. Since the change to the new magnesium substrate and shape we haven't had a single complaint about paint chipping (knock on wood!) on the new shape/material.

The aluminum is less of an absolute black because of the abodization process and is more of a super dark Grey whereas the magnesium finish is more of an absolute black. They are both a satin feel.
Unfortunately my new magnesium seems fragile. The space around the rod chipped on day one, the first time I adjusted its height.

Attachments

• 20210810_215823.jpg
    20210810_215823.jpg
    717.1 KB · Views: 0
Aug 21, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #7,297 of 12,498
Unfortunately my new magnesium seems fragile. The space around the rod chipped on day one, the first time I adjusted its height.
Send us an email for a paint pen or a solution! That's not a typical area of wear for sure, and not one that's handled so we can get you a quick and easy solution for it.

And as mentioned on the site - although our process and materials is much improved in this aspect the magnesium will always be more fragile. Do email us to buy a paint pen for tiny areas if you need one, or we can tell you which one to get!

Addendum - adjusting the Rods with the "pinch method" will mitigate any rubbing in that area as well.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 21, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #7,299 of 12,498
Send us an email for a paint pen or a solution! That's not a typical area of wear for sure, and not one that's handled so we can get you a quick and easy solution for it.

And as mentioned on the site - although our process and materials is much improved in this aspect the magnesium will always be more fragile. Do email us to buy a paint pen for tiny areas if you need one, or we can tell you which one to get!

Addendum - adjusting the Rods with the "pinch method" will mitigate any rubbing in that area as well.

Thanks Zach. I will reach out for paint pen info, although I am not distressed about this minor bit of wear.
Btw I did watch your pinch method video before making the adjustment. I followed your instructions. At least as best I could as a first timer.
If you dont mind discussing the topic in general: I wonder how Cerakote would hold up? Or why the magnesium can't be anodized?

Aug 21, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #7,300 of 12,498
I have tried recently the VC, coming from a Kennerton GH50, It was very hard to get use to :
Less dynamic and separation, trebles do not sparkle as much as the Kennerton, less fun.
What can I do to appreciate more this VC which cost me 2,5 times more than the Gallahorn ?
Pads used : Auteur + Verité
Source : DAP Shanling M8
Cable : OFC cable supplied with the set
Music listened : Pop, Rock, Jazz and Funk
Volume : moderate not top high
Signature like: V shaped, detailed, sparkling treble but no hisse, deep bass tight, great separation.

Aug 21, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #7,301 of 12,498
I have tried recently the VC, coming from a Kennerton GH50, It was very hard to get use to :
Less dynamic and separation, trebles do not sparkle as much as the Kennerton, less fun.
What can I do to appreciate more this VC which cost me 2,5 times more than the Gallahorn ?
Pads used : Auteur + Verité
Source : DAP Shanling M8
Cable : OFC cable supplied with the set
Music listened : Pop, Rock, Jazz and Funk
Volume : moderate not top high
Signature like: V shaped, detailed, sparkling treble but no hisse, deep bass tight, great separation.
Sorry to say, but it sounds as though Rögnir would suit you more. VC are definitely not v shaped in their tuning. They have a tuning of their own that is smoothish and warmish without being rolled off.

But if you like the Kennerton tuning, want to retain the sparkle, and up the technical performance, Rögnir would be a better option.

Otherwise, you'd have to modify your setup, probably beginning with the source.

Aug 21, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #7,303 of 12,498
Sorry to say, but it sounds as though Rögnir would suit you more. VC are definitely not v shaped in their tuning. They have a tuning of their own that is smoothish and warmish without being rolled off.

But if you like the Kennerton tuning, want to retain the sparkle, and up the technical performance, Rögnir would be a better option.

Otherwise, you'd have to modify your setup, probably beginning with the source.
Yeah I'm thinking Focal Radiance or an LCD XC

Edit: the VC works better with a desktop setup, tubes maybe, than with DAPs. But even with proper amplification it sounds like OP is looking for a more forward sound sig than the VC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back